X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Delay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Highlights:

A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLayand two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, an indictment that could force him to step down as House majority leader.

DeLay attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

The indictment against the second-ranking, and most assertive Republican leader came on the final day of the grand jury's term. It followed earlier indictments of a state political action committee founded by DeLay and three of his political associates.

The grand jury action is expected to have immediate consequences in the House, where DeLay is largely responsible for winning passage of the Republican legislative program. House Republican Party rules require leaders who are indicted to temporarily step aside from their leadership posts.

However, DeLay retains his seat representing Texas' 22nd congressional district, suburbs southwest of Houston.

DeLay has denied committing any crime and accused the Democratic district attorney leading the investigation, Ronnie Earle, of pursuing the case for political motives.
    Can't help enjoying this...
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Delay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe

finally, after 20 years of politicians walking off the bench, we got one.

maybe they need to go back and look at hillary, daschel, lott, and a few more. hopefully this sets a nice standard that we CAN get these dishonest fuckers.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• thesightless
      • Jun 2004

also

to quote """accused the Democratic district attorney leading the investigation, Ronnie Earle, of pursuing the case for political motives."""

of course he is. but its YOUR fault he has the oppurtunity. what now we a real, truly valid reason to get criminals? or i guess the crime wasnt enough,

i love how the party has backed off him since they expected that he was going down. nothing like watching a politician being thrown to the dogs.

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

^^ it'll be interesting to see if Bush gets similar treatment come the 2008 election season, if Republican candidates put a lot of distance between themselves and him. I guess that depends upon how the winds are blowing at the time, though...

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Looks like DeLay has stepped down from his post...

Comment

• thesightless
            • Jun 2004

good. every day i find a reason to hate our government more and more.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

I love your avatar Toasty
              "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
              "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
              - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

Comment

• toasty
                  Sir Toastiness
                  • Jun 2004

updated:

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

DeLay, whose conduct on separate issues was criticized by the House ethics committee last year, was unrelenting in his criticism of Earle. He suggested the district attorney had promised not to prosecute him and then changed course under pressure from Democrats and criticism from a newspaper in Texas.

The majority leader derided Earle as an "unabashed partisan zealot" and a "rogue district attorney."
                  I just heard on the radio that in Earle's career as an "unabashed partisan zealot," he has prosecuted 3 republican politicians (not counting DeLay) and 12 democratic politicians. I see the republican noise machine is off to a rousing start...

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

OK, here's some more evidence that CNN simply takes whatever is said by the talking heads and regurgitates it. I was listening to Miles O'Brien interview Dick DeGuerin, DeLay's attorney, this morning on American Morning. Miles began that intereview by the following precursor (paraphrasing):

"OK, now we all know that [prosecutor] Ronnie Earle has a long history of targeting republicans..."

Really? Do we know that? I've heard that come of of DeLay's mouth, and out of his representatives mouths, but the only actual data I've seen on the issue suggests that his prosecution of politicians is party-blind or, if anything, slanted towards prosecuting democrats.

Either Miles isn't bothering to check his facts (CNN.com's own story on the web on the topic discusses the disparity in prosecution of republicans v democrats), or he's assisting in the spin. Pitiful journalism, either way.

Comment

• Kobe
                      I wish I had an interesting User title
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless

of course he is. but its YOUR fault he has the oppurtunity. what now we a real, truly valid reason to get criminals? or i guess the crime wasnt enough,

i love how the party has backed off him since they expected that he was going down. nothing like watching a politician being thrown to the dogs.
                      Agreed, anything can be depicted as a political issue, but the bottom line is a crime is a crime, even in Washington.
                      Beats are my crack.

Comment

• superdave
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

This indictment is a load of bullshit. It's purely political and most likely nothing will come of it. It's a smear campaign by the Democrats. Even the crap against Frist is purely political. I believe this same prosecutor went after Kay Bailey Hutchinson, one of the Texas Senators, and her case was thrown out of court.
                        Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• skahound
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • Jun 2004

Another indictment today: money laundering.
                          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• thesightless
                            • Jun 2004

i love it,

i once wrote, and here is another example "" when those people are given too much power havbe it suddenly denied, they will fight tooth and nail to hold onto this power""

sadly i previously applied it to the leadership of the middle east and africa, but look, now it applies to one of our own. haha. hope you go down in flames delay. he exposed loopholes, got caught, and when they grabbed him on it, he screams that it technically isnt illegal.

BYE BYE TOMMY

Comment

Working...