X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galo
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Quick Tech Help

Sometimes when i have media player playing and then browse a web site the sound drags as I scroll down the site, does anyone know why. It does'nt always happen, I have the virtual memory setting as high as it will go.

thanks
  • galo
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

anybody have any ideas

Comment

• swedetech
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

Re:: Quick Tech Help

I have had this and similar problems... first I free'd up some memory and it helped but then it came back again so I bought some more ram and its forever gone...
      ---------------

check out http://www.stockmonk.net for all your graphic needs!!! and www.jnmedia.com for custom websites, animation, 3d and more...

Comment

• neoee
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Try killing off some of your processes. You may just have too much stuff running thats hogging your cpu/memory. Check in task manager and sort by CPU use. I've had some runaway/background process do that to me.
        "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• peloquin
          Till I Come!
          • Jun 2004

you use windows media player?

winamp is much better :wink:

Comment

• MJDub
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Get a better computer.
            http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• thezzapper
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MJDub
              Get a better computer.
              good point! i never could get rid of that problem on my 4 year old laptop. tried everything i could think of. got new desktop. np.
              sigpic

Comment

• swedetech
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thezzapper
                Get a better computer.
                good point! i never could get rid of that problem on my 4 year old laptop. tried everything i could think of. got new desktop. np.
                I wish I could get a new computer everytime I had problems..
                1 or 2 new a month... alittle to expensive!

---------------

check out http://www.stockmonk.net for all your graphic needs!!! and www.jnmedia.com for custom websites, animation, 3d and more...

Comment

• MJDub
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by swedetech
                  Originally posted by thezzapper
                  Get a better computer.
                  I wish I could get a new computer everytime I had problems..
                  1 or 2 new a month... alittle to expensive!

Then get better knowledge of computers. :wink:
                  http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• Steve Graham
                    DJ Jelly
                    • Jun 2004

happens to me too at work. more RAM and a faster processor should sort it out. and dont try to do 1000 things at once.

Comment

• buzztim
                      Getting warmed up
                      • Jun 2004

Step 1: remove the plug from the unit

Step 2: open window

Step 3: discard computer through open window

Step 4: retrieve computer from bush/tree/flowerbed

Step 5: reconnect computer to electricity

Step 6: you win!
                      Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you. -- Bill Hicks

Comment

• Neo
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

Take it off scratch master mode. wikkie wikiie wikkie My attempt at scratching of course. :wink:

Yeah bro go with winamp that'd be my advice Not sure what going on because it's not happening all the time right?

Is there anyother media running in the browser or trying to run inside one of your browsers? That's another reason to get rid of media player. My guess is wimamp will fix this problem.

Comment

• neur0t0xin64
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

Re:: Quick Tech Help

Originally posted by swedetech
                          I have had this and similar problems... first I free'd up some memory and it helped but then it came back again so I bought some more ram and its forever gone...
                          Probably best. About the virtual memory... setting it high isn't exactly good because then windows has to write and rewrite all the time. what you shoudl do is to multiple the amount of ram you have by 2.5. for example if you have 256MB then set the virtual memory to 640MB BOTH MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM. what this does is prevent windows from writing and deleting to change the page file size (virtual memory file). get it??? give it a try, it might work out for you.
                          "In case of doubt, attack." --- Gen. George Patton

Comment

• galo
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Jun 2004

thanks guys, stil happening sometimes,, the pc is only 6 months old so isn't ready for the three story dive yet, and it does the smae in Winamp, I will try more RAM I guess

Comment

• Dogthor
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Jun 2004

its the RAm for sure, had the same problem.....
                              hope it helps...
                              No words, No Talk, We'll go dreamin. No pain, No Hurt, We'll go dreamin

Comment

Working...