X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lopark
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

My vote

I shall probably regret posting this, but...

I've never been involved in politics. I always thought of it as a game that you can't possibly win. In fact, I never even registered to vote until this year. And not because I'm all up-in-arms about Bush or Kerry. Not because I'm a liberal-hating conservative or a conservative-hating liberal. Not because I watched Farenheit 9/11 (actually, I haven't watched it.) And not because of anything I've heard from the various oh-so-objective American news organizations.

My vote is based solely on the fact that I have a fiancee in the U.S. Air Force. Though I've been supportive of her decision to join, I'm afraid of her being deployed to some unsafe place. That's probably a selfish reason, maybe even paranoia, but I don't care. It's easy to ignore or try to justify our troops being sent into a dangerous area until you realize it can happen to someone you love. This is why I'm voting for whomever is the least likely to send my future-wife where I may never see her again. It's just one vote and probably won't make much difference, but it's the only thing I can do.

• neoee
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

lopark don't feel bad, everyone does things for selfish reasons. It would be nice if people were more selfless, but as that is not the case you have nothing to be ashamed of.
    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• lopark
      Getting warmed up
      • Jun 2004

Re:: My vote

I don't feel bad for caring more about my fiancee than someone else's political agenda...be it justifiable or not. I don't feel bad about that at all. It does bother me that the only say I have in the matter involves stepping behind a curtain with a punch-card, but I guess no one is in complete control of their lives.

Comment

• dohturdima
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Re:: My vote

It's easy to say that "my vote probably won't make the difference", or "this is a Republican/Democratic state anyhow", or etc. But the truth is, this is your only way to truly influence the course of things for the next four years, at least - however small you believe the contribution of your single vote to be. And maybe - just maybe - there others who think like you and share your concerns who will also be out there voting. ;-)
        Habit is a form of exercise

Comment

• brakada
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

I understand you perfectly and I really don't see why you would regret posting this on here. After all, it's a free country and you are entitled to your own opinion, based on your personal or other reasons.

If everyone had a personal reason for voting, elections would be a lot "easier". :wink:
          We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• lopark
            Getting warmed up
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by brakada
            I really don't see why you would regret posting this on here.
            Most of the places where I see people discussing politicals issues (especially on internet message boards), it also turns into a flame war... "all you liberal michael moore morons hate america!" "all you bush-following sheep are blind!"

Glad most of us Mercurians can remain civil...even if we disagree.

Comment

• delirious
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lopark
              Originally posted by brakada
              I really don't see why you would regret posting this on here.
              Most of the places where I see people discussing politicals issues (especially on internet message boards), it also turns into a flame war... "all you liberal michael moore morons hate america!" "all you bush-following sheep are blind!"

Glad most of us Mercurians can remain civil...even if we disagree.
              I agree. Ranting and raving doesn't encourage civilised debate.

When a man is wrong and won't admit it, he always gets angry.
              John Steinbeck

Comment

Working...