Clear All
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

"shoot first"

Brits Beware.

Florida tourists warned that locals could shoot them

ALASTAIR JAMIESON

IT IS Britain's most popular transatlantic holiday destination, attracting more than 1.5 million visitors a year with its sun-drenched beaches, theme parks and wildlife.

But Florida's ?30 billion tourism industry is under threat from a campaign launched by a gun-control group which warns visitors they could be killed.

A series of alarming adverts, to be placed in British newspapers, warns potential tourists about a new law allowing gun owners to shoot anyone they believe threatens their safety.

It means thousands of British families who travel to the Sunshine State are now caught up in the ongoing political row over gun control in the United States.

The Florida law, supported by the National Rifle Association, was approved by the state legislature in April.

The state's governor, Jeb Bush - whose brother is the US president - described it as a "good, commonsense, anti-crime issue".

Critics call it the "shoot first" law and say it allows gun owners to shoot if they engage in a simple argument in public. Supporters call it the "stand your ground" law and say criminals will think twice before attacking someone.

Previously, gun owners could only use their weapons if they first attempted to withdraw and avoid a confrontation, and were permitted to shoot threatening individuals only inside their home or property.

Now they can use "deadly force" if they "reasonably believe" that firing their gun is necessary to prevent a crime or serious injury. The law also effectively prevents civil legal action by victims of such shootings.

The Brady Campaign to Control Gun Violence, based in Washington DC, has pledged to "educate" tourists by placing adverts in US cities, and in key overseas markets such as Britain.

"Warning: Florida residents can use deadly force," says one of the adverts. Another reads: "Thinking about a Florida vacation? Please ensure your family is safe. In Florida, avoid disputes. Use special caution in arguing with motorists on Florida roads."

The Brady Campaign - named after Jim Brady, the spokesman for Ronald Reagan who was paralysed by a gunshot during the 1981 assassination attempt on the then-president - promises to also run adverts in French, German and Japanese newspapers. The campaign officers also plan to hand out leaflets on roads leading into the state.

Peter Hamm, the communications director of the Brady Campaign, said: "It's a particular risk faced by travellers coming to Florida for a vacation because they have no idea it's going to be the law of the land. If they get into a road rage argument, the other person may feel he has the right to use deadly force."

Tourism officials in Florida are furious at the move. Bud Nocera, the executive director of Visit Florida, said: "It is sad that such an organisation would hold the 900,000 men and women who work in the Florida tourism industry, and whose lives depend on it, hostage to their political agenda."

The Association of British Travel Agents yesterday said the posters were "a matter of concern", but said there was unlikely to be a drop in the number of visitors to Florida.

It said 1.4 million Britons made the journey last year, attracted by the weather and resorts such as Disneyworld and the Kennedy Space Centre.

A spokeswoman said: "We would offer the same advice about Florida as we would any other part of the United States. As far as we are concerned, nothing has changed."

More than 80 million tourists from around the world visited Florida last year, boosting an industry that accounts for one-fifth of the state economy.
    Get all of the latest news from The Scotsman. Providing a fresh perspective for online news.
    dead, yet alive.
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Re: "shoot first"

looks like I'll be packing more than clothes and a huge sausage at Miami this year

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

i thought you were into pickels?
      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• picklemonkey
        • Jun 2004

not as much as pickles are in me

Comment

• picklemonkey
          • Jun 2004

into. into me.

Comment

• asdf_admin
            i use to be important
            • Jun 2004

whoa. "thanks for the links"
            dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              Originally posted by ace_dl
              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• peloquin
                Till I Come!
                • Jun 2004

hideous!

Comment

• petesbeats
                  Soccer 4 EVA
                  • Sep 2005

Sh1t the bed!
                  Loose Lipped Controller in da Mothafukin Hizzows!!

Comment

• Morgan
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Can someone lend me a gun for WMC?
                    Cheers
                    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

i think it sucks. you turn around to confront someone, and the whole town blasts you.
                      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• dawnx
                        The Donator
                        • Jun 2004

I was reading this in todays paper are we English really that bad when over
                        there????????

Comment

• asdf_admin
                          i use to be important
                          • Jun 2004

yeah.

a. we can not understand a damn thing you are saying.
                          b. you are always asking where to buy "fags"
                          dead, yet alive.

Comment

• peloquin
                            Till I Come!
                            • Jun 2004

you are just upset because last time i asked you for a fag you misunderstood and gave an embarrassing/compromising answer

Comment

• asdf_admin
                              i use to be important
                              • Jun 2004

lol.
                              dead, yet alive.

Comment

Working...