FAO Picklemonkey (or other pc know-it-alls)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

FAO Picklemonkey (or other pc know-it-alls)

which of these is my cpu to agp controller?

• thepariah
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: FAO Picklemonkey (or other pc know-it-alls)

Uh.. it doesn't look like you have one.. on my computer it very clearly says processor to AGP controller.

Are you sure your motherboard has an AGP slot?

If it does are you sure it is enabled in the BIOS?

Comment

• peloquin
      Till I Come!
      • Jun 2004

it should be... and yes, i'm sure it does.

Comment

• Hos
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

you have PCI Express pelo, that's the graphics card
        black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• peloquin
          Till I Come!
          • Jun 2004

so if someone was trying to use a tool design program (solidworks 2006) and it kept freezing/crashing the pc with the error message along the lines of "the graphics card driver is stuck in a loop" maybe i need a new graphics card, one with agp?

Comment

• picklemonkey
            Double hoodie beer monster
            • Jun 2004

imo instead of looking for the hardware in that list, you should visit your graphics card's website and download the latest driver from it, then install it.

Comment

• peloquin
              Till I Come!
              • Jun 2004

i did that. the error i got was specific and google searches led me to that method of fixing the problem. ill check tommorow what the google search was and post it, its a specific ati dll error, but i forget now...

Comment

• palmer
                Retired or Simply Important
                • Jun 2004

Go into your preferences and change from OpenGL, which I'm assuming is default, to Software Rendering.

What type of ATI card are you running btw?
                Because if you are running a workstation level card disregard my suggestion. That will only work if you are using a card that isn't designed to handle such applications.
                todayistomorrow
                art direction | design | animation

Comment

• peloquin
                  Till I Come!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by palmer
                  Go into your preferences and change from OpenGL, which I'm assuming is default, to Software Rendering.

What type of ATI card are you running btw?
                  Because if you are running a workstation level card disregard my suggestion. That will only work if you are using a card that isn't designed to handle such applications.

ATI FireGL 3100

error im getting is

ati2dvag
                  "the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop"

Comment

• evangelion
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Ahhh...the old infinite loop error. Another thing Microsoft just forgot to fix about Windows along the way. It used to be an Nvidia only problem, but as you can see, it is no longer. There is no sure fire fix for it. If you've downloaded the newest drivers and installed them I have a question?? When you uninstalled the old driver did you run any kind of program to clean out all of the stray files and registry entry that it leaves behind?? One of the other added features of Windows is the inability to completely remove every trace of an uninstalled program, whether it be driver, application or whatever. That's why I'm such a huge fan of Registry Mechanic, it searchs your hard drives and finds all the bullshit that windows leaves behind...registry entries, shortcuts, unused file extension, you name it. If you've never used anything like it, you will be amazed what you will see the first time you do. Depending on the age of the Windows installation I've seen anywhere from 200 to 2,000 problems found.

For video card drivers I recommend Driver Cleaner. Get it here...http://www.drivercleaner.net/. There is a process you need to follow in order to get the full effect.

1. Uninstall the driver

2. Reboot into safe mode

3. Go into your Device Manager and uninstall any refence to a Display Device

4. Run Driver Cleaner with the filters for your make of video card. In your case all of the ATI filters.

5. Reboot into Windows and install the newest official drivers. I've used beta drivers, but if you've not playing games it won't make any difference.

Try this out and see if it works. I used to get this error all the time when I had my old Ti500. Maybe the next Windows will have gotten rid of senseless problems like this and the 60Hz bug. Maybe..

Comment

• neoee
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Are you running the latest DirectX? Also check your DirectX settings by running 'dxdiag' from the start > run line.

Found this blurb:
                      Published in Atitech.com - Indexed on Nov 21, 2004 Relevance:
                      Based on our experience, the error "The drivers for the display adapter got stuck in an INFINITE LOOP" is a result of a system communication mishap. On some systems, the error "Unable to complete a drawing operation", or an ATI VPU recover error may also occur. This error does not occur on all system configurations. This issue can occur using any motherboard or graphics chipset along with the Windows XP Operating system. It appears that in most cases this problem is due to a BIOS setting, specifically options affecting the way the RAM, CPU and graphics card communicate with XP and DirectX.
                      Check out the 5th post on this site lots of helpful information:
                      flexbeta.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, flexbeta.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                      "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...