X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeronineteen
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Western Digital or Maxtor?

neither of those two. seagate is what i would go with.
    Before you can see the light, you have to deal with the darkness.

Comment

• FM
      Wooooooo!
      • Jun 2004

Indeed...used to love WD's till one gave me the clicks of death one day just after the warranty expired... Shortly thereafter the Maxtor's I had died...THEN the Hitachi replacement I got from another computer (because that one went funky in about 7 months and didn't whir up fast enough to boot a lot) started to bite the dust as well.

Seagate for me now .... but 4 hard drive crashes in less then 2 years I wish upon no one. Luckily, overall data loss was relatively minimal.
      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
      Facebook!
      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Weizy
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Jun 2004

damn dude, you had problems with your maxtor? i have two of 'em

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Storage Review is a good read.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• futura
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

Seagate have a good reputation, as you can see from the other posts. But they typically end up being more spendy.

I have all Western Digital with the 8MB cache. I just had a friend pick up a WD SATA with I think a 16MB cache? He says it just rocks. Windows boots in like 3 seconds.

I have had a good/bad relationship with my Western Digitals. They are decent drives for speed. But, as usual - with any drive - make sure you back up. You never know when a failure's gonna roll around.

But definitely look for cache, at least the 8MB. If you have a P4 with like an 800 Mhz bus, you may also want to look at the USB2/Firewire drives as they can push data over those like crazy. I use an external LaCie 200 GB over USB 2.0 at work - and I gotta say it is excellent.

I've heard that external drives are actually better, because they are designed for heat dissipation. You get longer life out of that. But I use the LaCie as my main data drive at work and I've never had any perf issues. I run a P4 2.6Ghz I think it is.
            may the groove be with you

Comment

• rewing3
              I really don't care
              • Jun 2004

Don't buy a maxtor. WD all the way.
              Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• influx
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

i would say go with western digi or seagate. i personally am a WD fan, but have heard nothing but good things about seagate. i've bought prolly 10 WD drives over the past decade or so and not one of them has ever failed... by comparison, i've had to replace every maxtor i ever owned (with a WD drive of course.)
                i reject your reality, and substitute my own.
                www.flynoteproductions.com

Comment

• dvs
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by miketpoto
                  sweet Jay.... We got a bunch of those in at work.... They are shiny and metal.... And fast...

And we named the "big" one Terri-byte.... its odd having that size of a firewire drive, let alone pretty portable still....

gotta love that firewire 800..... and the ports/cables are so nice and sleek too
                  mike, they are sick right? super fast and designed to go with your mac....
                  "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"the progressive sound will not come back because it's already here; you just need to search for it." - Mo Shic

Comment

• ATN
                    Addiction started
                    • Jul 2004

Well, I'd would def go with WD IMO but you know what, I have both of them The WD is my primary hd tho (its a RAPTOR 10000RPM and 8mb) and works just fine. Long life to my HDs

Comment

• evangelion
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

I got a 300GB Maxtor Diamiond Max earlier this year and I wouldn't care if all of my drives from now on are Maxtors. I've had WD, Maxtors, IBMs, Seagates...they're all the same on the inside. Look for price/performance over brand name.

Comment

• pilot
                        The World is my Playground
                        • Jul 2004

agreed. seagate. I have 4
                        Bluewire Productions

Comment

• DJZeke
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

there is only 2 drives that are 10,000 rpm for sata and that is the western digital raptor drive which are very fast and i like mine but they only come in 36 gigs and 74 gigs.

For 7,200 rpm drives:
                          maxtor maxline 3
                          seagate
                          DJZeke @ SoulSeek

Comment

• Weizy
                            MCast Resident DJ
                            • Jun 2004

so, it sounds like maxtors are good enough, phew! i though i needed to worry about my pair of them

Comment

• vhx1
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Jun 2004

Honestly it doesn't really matter what brand name you go with. They manufacture drives on such a large number theres bound to be haters and sackriders for every brand. As long as you stick with WD, Maxtor, Seagate you shouldn't go wrong. Overheating is also the biggest factor in harddrive failures.

Comment

• day_for_night
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • Jun 2004

i've had two western digitals crap out on me in 2 years, and i make sure my comp doesnt get moved around and has adequate ventalation (read 5 fans). wont be buying wd again...

Comment

Working...