X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

The beginning of the end for Mugabe

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Zimbabwe 'unable to feed troops'
    By Peter Biles
    BBC southern Africa correspondent, Johannesburg

Food Aid

Zimbabwe has admitted millions of its citizens now need food aid
    The army in Zimbabwe is no longer able to feed all its soldiers, military analysts in southern Africa have said.

The Institute for Security Studies, based in South Africa, told the BBC that the army had run out of money to buy adequate daily rations.

This week, soldiers spoke of being sent home on forced leave. The army denied it was because of food shortages.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says Zimbabwe's economy is in decline and food security is an urgent issue.

'No dissent'

The Institute for Security Studies has been making a detailed assessment of the state of Zimbabwe's armed forces.

Its analysts say that on the basis of information from inside Zimbabwe, the military is now experiencing the same problems as other government departments - namely, that it has run out of money.

They argue that a combination of factors is to blame: economic mismanagement, the collapse of the Zimbabwe dollar, international sanctions and drought.

This has resulted in some soldiers being sent home on leave as the army cannot afford to feed them, they say.

However, the military experts describe Zimbabwe's armed forces as professional, disciplined and loyal to President Robert Mugabe.

There is no suggestion at this stage of any widespread dissent within the ranks of the army.

A Zimbabwean army spokesman has insisted there is enough food for the soldiers, although the government admitted this week that more than two million people in the country needed emergency food aid.
    Oooooooooooo I SO hope for a big ass mutiny, the public hanging of the man and a new govt. If it has to be authoritarian, so be it, but i'd rather see the opposition (Morgan Tsvangirai, MDC) involved...Anyway, this is a classic tale in the making: how does a soldier provide for himself without the army to provide for him? Well, his gun and combat training can help him, so either you just use that to force food off other people (bands of soldiers looting and pillaging), or you make a group and oust the military leadership as well as the ones responsible for the shitty state in which the military, and in the end the whole country are (coup d'état, the military is ALWAYS the last sector to be cut off from money and supplies), or you go and sell your skills to those who are willing to pay for it (mercenaries, private military companies).

But I'm praying for a coup d'état...it's not far off now
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway
  • davetlv
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: The beginning of the end for Mugabe

Whilst I share your thoughts on Mugabe, something tells me that this is not the end of him. After all he seems to have more lives than a cat!

With support from Mbeki (sp?) I think Mugabe has a few more years in him unfortunetly.

His talent has always been in being able to blame everyone and everything else for his countrys troubles, the fact that his soldiers aren't eating won't really affect him so much, after all he is a master of spin in the sickest way.

Personally I think South Africa should deport good ole Winnie to Zimbabwe - she certainly has a the balls and the nexklessess to take Mugabe on

Comment

Working...