X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

bet you've never heard this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005IYU/102-8554598-0878500?v=glance
    but i bet you'd like it
    "
    popularly regarded as repetitive and minimalist"
    -wikipedia

"Reich is one of the founding fathers of contemporary minimalism: an offshoot of the classical avant-garde that takes repetition as its raison d’être and explores its possibilities over extended compositions."- ambient music guide

Different Trains is truly different. Steve Reich has characteristically developed yet another intriguingly original way of composing. This time he is using recordings of people talking but has added stringed instruments to the words so that the notes match the 'melody' of the spoken word exactly. When we talk we virtually 'sing' the words but in a limited range of pitches, occasionally hitting a higher note when we emphasise a word or ask a question. And so, for a breathless 27 minutes, the Kronos Quartet race across this landscape of semi-demi-quavers like a runaway train, changing tracks and occasionally slowing through tunnels, but always urging us forward, chasing an unending horizon towards a final destination. The sampled voices add a further dimension to this already appealing stampede of notes. As a child, between 1939 and 1942, Reich used to frequently cross America by train with his governess, and so he has used phrases of a recent interview with the old lady to create the staccato 'melody'. "From Chicago to New York" she repeats, "...one of the fastest trains", whilst the Kronos Quartet overlays three separate recordings of pulsating, discordant strings. A retired railway porter, now in his eighties, also adds his reflections of the railroad days: "from New York to Los Angeles... but today, they're all gone". But what makes this mad rush across the continent so poignant is not so much the antique reminiscences of the spoken words, or the romance evoked by the sounds of steam train whistles, but rather the addition of phrases spoken by Holocaust survivors. As a Jew, Reich is now very conscious of the sad and almost arbitrary reality that if he had been in Europe at this time he would have been riding on very different trains. "Into those cattle wagons... they were loaded up with people... for 4 days and 4 nights... and then we went through these strange sounding names... Polish names... they shaved us... they tatooed a number on our arm... flames going up to the sky - it was smoking... don't breathe!" In musical terms "Different Trains" takes us on a uniquely mesmeric journey, but with its sobering twists recollected by witnesses to the horrors of recent history, this journey seems to take us across an emotional Great Divide as much as a physical one. Compelling.

now you post one
    Last edited by tiddles; October 9, 2005, 01:41:27 PM.
  • miketpoto
    Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
    • Jan 2005

Re: bet you've never heard this:

"BIOGRAPHY(source Britney.com)To say that Britney Spears’s life has changed over the course of the past two years is somewhat of an understatement. Since the release of her Jive Records debut "…Baby One More Time" (which made Britney the youngest artist in Soundscan history to have a certified RIAA 12x platinum album, and included four hit singles including the title track and "(You Drive Me Crazy"), Britney has gone from being a star in the making to a superstar and the "Queen Of Teen." In 1999 alone she was nominated for two Grammys (including the coveted Best New Artist), swept the 1999 MTV Europe Awards (where she nabbed Best Female, Best Pop, Best Breakthrough Artist and Best Song), brought her explosive live show around the globe and appeared on every major televised award show both here and in Europe.Perhaps even more importantly than the accolades and the sales figures, Britney has become an icon to millions of fans worldwide and her infectious brand of pop/R&B has become the template for girl pop.Now Britney is back ready to take it to the next level. Featuring tracks from Diane Warren, Rodney Jerkins, Mutt Lange, Max Martin and Britney herself, "Oops!… I Did It Again" is destined to be the album of the summer and is much more than just a follow-up. It’s a record that shows the progress from phenomenon to artist. A bit wiser and more confident and self-assured, "Oops!… I Did It Again" is Britney Spears as you’ve never heard her: sexy, sassy and solidly in control.Ask Britney about the direction of her new CD and she is modest. "I'm not really doing anything different this time around but I am really growing up, as a person and that just all flows with the overall sound and feel of this record. There’s no master plan! I’m just gonna be me and hope it all works out!""

Comment

• Yao
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

I should have Britney spread her legs and take a pic for my show Filth. Perfect match.
      Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• picklemonkey
        Double hoodie beer monster
        • Jun 2004

Comment

• pdropz
          Getting warmed up
          • Sep 2005

huh!
          "Keep the vibe Alive"

Comment

• tiddles
            Encryption, Jr.
            • Jun 2004

Post me some good tunes bitches!

Comment

• fletcher
              Platinum Poster
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by tiddles
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005IYU/102-8554598-0878500?v=glance
              but i bet you'd like it
              "
              popularly regarded as repetitive and minimalist"
              -wikipedia

"Reich is one of the founding fathers of contemporary minimalism: an offshoot of the classical avant-garde that takes repetition as its raison d??tre and explores its possibilities over extended compositions."- ambient music guide

Different Trains is truly different. Steve Reich has characteristically developed yet another intriguingly original way of composing. This time he is using recordings of people talking but has added stringed instruments to the words so that the notes match the 'melody' of the spoken word exactly. When we talk we virtually 'sing' the words but in a limited range of pitches, occasionally hitting a higher note when we emphasise a word or ask a question. And so, for a breathless 27 minutes, the Kronos Quartet race across this landscape of semi-demi-quavers like a runaway train, changing tracks and occasionally slowing through tunnels, but always urging us forward, chasing an unending horizon towards a final destination. The sampled voices add a further dimension to this already appealing stampede of notes. As a child, between 1939 and 1942, Reich used to frequently cross America by train with his governess, and so he has used phrases of a recent interview with the old lady to create the staccato 'melody'. "From Chicago to New York" she repeats, "...one of the fastest trains", whilst the Kronos Quartet overlays three separate recordings of pulsating, discordant strings. A retired railway porter, now in his eighties, also adds his reflections of the railroad days: "from New York to Los Angeles... but today, they're all gone". But what makes this mad rush across the continent so poignant is not so much the antique reminiscences of the spoken words, or the romance evoked by the sounds of steam train whistles, but rather the addition of phrases spoken by Holocaust survivors. As a Jew, Reich is now very conscious of the sad and almost arbitrary reality that if he had been in Europe at this time he would have been riding on very different trains. "Into those cattle wagons... they were loaded up with people... for 4 days and 4 nights... and then we went through these strange sounding names... Polish names... they shaved us... they tatooed a number on our arm... flames going up to the sky - it was smoking... don't breathe!" In musical terms "Different Trains" takes us on a uniquely mesmeric journey, but with its sobering twists recollected by witnesses to the horrors of recent history, this journey seems to take us across an emotional Great Divide as much as a physical one. Compelling.

now you post one
              Steve Reich is wicked. I have his "phase patterns" cd and its truly hypnotic stuff. Saw the london sinfonietta orchestra performing some of his tracks at the warp records tour a couple of years ago, a truly memorable evening. The best bit is Steve Reich has been making music for something crazy like 40 years now, think he had a DVD released fairly recently with 3 sound and video scapes on....
              http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...