Clear All
  • qwerty2222
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

superstar dj''s need personality before beatmixing...apparently

taken from trustthedj.com

Superstar DJs need personality before beatmixing
    30/09/2005

Dutch trance don Armin Van Buuren launched an outspoken attack against technically incompetent big name DJs this week, suggesting many of them are ?crap?.

?I?ve seen huge DJs who can?t even beat mix. They throw any old shit on and are the heroes of the night,? Armin complained in Mixmag, ?DJing isn?t about music anymore but your personality, entourage and following.?

Radio 1 star Pete Tong agreed, though took a more rounded view of the necessary requirements for top level success.

?I?ve always said that the technical ability to mix is obviously important, it?s a given for a DJ, but lack of technical excellence hasn?t stopped people who are not as good as Sasha from being very successful DJs,? Pete told Skrufff.

?They might have had the charisma or be the king of the party or the best club runner or just might have had the best taste. There are loads of other factors involved in what makes a great DJ; I think it?s people?s attitude and passion towards the job that counts the most.?

?Everyone is always going to have a pop at anyone who is top of the tree, they?re going to be looking for faults, but most people don?t get to the top unless they?re good at something,? he continued.

?You can get a bit up your own backside focusing too much on somebody?s faults rather than focusing on what makes them popular in the first place,? said Pete.
  • dig72
    Gold Gabber
    • Nov 2004

Re: superstar dj''s need personality before beatmixing...apparently

Wise words from a wise man.

Pete Tong that is.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

I'd like to know who AVB is talking about. Maybe Jokenfold???
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

hey armin, its the pot here, you are black.

since when is he a technically good DJ who has good taste.

or do we all need more gouryella remixes?

oh yeah, mr tong, while you are good, you can the taste of the week all the time and are best mates with fuckhead oakey
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• ds
          Getting Somewhere
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by thesightless

gouryella

isnt that tiesto & Corsten not AVB?
          www.undulaterecordings.com - www.soundcloud.com/undulate - www.myspace.com/deepspellnyc

Check out my catalog on BEATPORT

Comment

• palmer
            Retired or Simply Important
            • Jun 2004

AHEM....nick warren.

I totally agree with sightless. No room for either of those guys to be talking about this shit.
            todayistomorrow
            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• rewing3
              I really don't care
              • Jun 2004

I think it is funny that a trance dj is talking shit about all other djs.
              Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• ds
                Getting Somewhere
                • Aug 2005

i personally think that he is taking a shot at tiesto........

but we all know hes wrong cuz tiesto is one of the best beatmixers
                www.undulaterecordings.com - www.soundcloud.com/undulate - www.myspace.com/deepspellnyc

Check out my catalog on BEATPORT

Comment

• GregWhelan
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

erm....I always thought dj'ing was about playing music and tunes that will get your audience interested and dancing. So whilst you can mix perfectly it doesnt matter if you are at an r&b night if you play trance!

I get a bit sick of dj's coming out with garbage like this. It's solely about making people dance, not personality, taking the music forward etc etc blah blah blah. People take it too seriously!!!

Although i did often wonder how people like brandon block would earn bucketloads when they couldnt mix toffee or play decent tunes

Comment

• thrualoooop
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

i taught myself to beat mix over twenty years ago and i am not a superstar dj in the public eyes but i have no personality. maybe he has a point........nahh its shite! i have never connected with a crowd of people like when injecting them through the ears with pure ....
                    i'm not a real dork i just play one on the internet.......

Comment

• superEGO72
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Jun 2004

ok.. ive been lying dormant for a year or two now.. but i have to speak up now.

"i mean its like...come... on...."

i know that nearly everyone on this board is a prog head (myself included), so its easy to laugh at a lot of other genres... but lets face it.. there is good trance out there. just like there is pretty good music in any genre... we also have to face it that there can be good djs in any genre of music.. just because you dont like trance and think they are all a bunch of hyped up crack pots doesnt make them horrid djs of trance... its the same as prog.. good prog.. bad prog.. good djs.. bad djs.

that being said.

avb? well.. at least he is a rung above oaky or tiesto when it comes to putting a set together. and he is right.. there are far better trance djs that know how to create some really incredible sets (you have to give ferry corsten and matt darey some credit here.. they may mix in some of what we might consider "cheesy stuff" from time to time, but they are very technically and musically proficient djs) (heck, the most recent matt darey set i heard started with an incredibly mixed prog trance build).

just dont go labelling this as a trance problem..

heck.. i have heard diggers sets where the mixing and set programming was less than stellar.. name a dj you havent heard the best and worst from?

Comment

• Turbonetic
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jan 2005

i am sure he does, but the only dj i've never heard screw up is jon lisle. i can remeber a slight off-beat mix in hostile panacea, but it was only a few seconds and that was it. i really don't have room to talk though since i've only seen him once live.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                          Anyone have Styx livesets?
                          • Jun 2004

isnt that why everyone got ableton?!
                          ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• rewing3
                            I really don't care
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ds
                            i personally think that he is taking a shot at tiesto........

but we all know hes wrong cuz tiesto is one of the best beatmixers
                            What the hell r you talking about. Dude tiiesto could not match 2 records if he tried. I have never heard him beat match a mix. My younger brother is a big tiesto fan and he tells me about all these good sets he finds. They all sound the same and it just seems like he just makes slides the crossfader on every mix. Just my opinion though so no offense.
                            Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• thrualoooop
                              Addiction started
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                              isnt that why everyone got ableton?!
                              :wink:
                              i'm not a real dork i just play one on the internet.......

Comment

Working...