• FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

Schwarzenegger calls Dems 'girlie men'

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

By TIM MOLLOY
    The Associated Press
    7/18/2004, 10:37 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A spokesman for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Sunday that the governor would not apologize for calling lawmakers "girlie men," despite criticisms from Democrats that the remark was sexist and homophobic.

Schwarzenegger dished out the insult at a rally Saturday as he claimed Democrats were delaying the budget by catering to special interests.

"If they don't have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, 'I don't want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers ... if they don't have the guts, I call them girlie men," Schwarzenegger said to the cheering crowd at a mall food court in Ontario.

The governor lifted the term from a long-running "Saturday Night Live" skit in which two pompous, Schwarzenegger-worshipping weightlifters repeatedly use it to mock those who don't meet their standards of physical perfection.

Democrats said Schwarzenegger's remarks were insulting to women and gays and distracted from budget negotiations. State Sen. Sheila Kuehl said the governor had resorted to "blatant homophobia."

"It uses an image that is associated with gay men in an insulting way, and it was supposed to be an insult. That's very troubling that he would use such a homophobic way of trying to put down legislative leadership," said Kuehl, one of five members of the Legislature's five-member Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Caucus.

"It's ironic that the governor would try to find a metaphor for weakness when his real problem is that we're being too strong," she added.

Schwarzenegger's criticism of Democrats stems in part from their support of one bill prohibiting schools from contracting services with private companies, and another giving workers authority to sue their employers to enforce labor laws. Each side accuses the other of caving in to special interests.

At a rally Sunday in Stockton, the governor gave a speech almost identical to the one he delivered in Ontario but without the "girlie men" remark. Spokesman Rob Stutzman said the line was dropped because Schwarzenegger had already sent the message he wanted to send, not because he regretted his remarks.

"It's a forceful way of making the point to regular Californians that legislators are wimps when they let special interests push them around," Stutzman said. "If they complain too much about this, I guess they're making the governor's point."

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, a Democrat, said that while he wasn't upset by the remark, his 13-year-old daughter was.

"She's a young girl who knows the governor and really likes him a lot and didn't find the term to be a positive term, and finds it to be derogatory," Nunez said. "It was no question a very, very insensitive comment to make. I personally am not intimidated or threatened by it, but I think it really is beneath Gov. Schwarzenegger."
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

how is that homophobic? there are plenty of female Dems who are girly men as well

Comment

• krelm
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Fucking hiliarious! He might be a moron, but at least the guy has a sense of humor.

If the California democrats are whining about this comment, then I think the "girley men" comment is probably justified.

If only he had threatened to "pump them up" it would have been perfect.
      Broken Symmetry on mcast.mercuryserver.com

www.krelmatrix.com - archives & mixes
      www.myspace.com/satansfluffer - general tomfoolery

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
      - Stimutacs

Comment

• Civic_Zen
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Re: Schwarzenegger calls Dems 'girlie men'

Originally posted by FM
        Democrats said Schwarzenegger's remarks were insulting to women and gays and distracted from budget negotiations. State Sen. Sheila Kuehl said the governor had resorted to "blatant homophobia."
        Blatant Homophopia?

Originally posted by FM
        "If they complain too much about this, I guess they're making the governor's point."
        Yep.
        "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
        "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• progressive420
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

i think thats the shit. Arnold is kicks ass, because he is not the typical politician. They are "girlie men", and fuck the queers for getting offended. they get offended by everything. i am offended by them, but that doesn't matter, because i am a straight, white, man. i don't think Arnold was trying to call anyone a fag or anything racist in any way.
          "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• davetlv
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez:

"......but I think it really is beneath Gov. Schwarzenegger."
            I'm not quite sure what i was meant to find offensive. However, this comment from Assembly speaker Nunez hits the nail on the head. The comment is beneath any ruling politician. For a politician to reduce him/herself to name calling shows only that s/he does not have an understanding of the issues at hand, something which is usually confined to parties and leaders of opposition and not those actually in office.

Comment

• fumanchu182
              Angantyr The Ruthless
              • Jun 2004

Re:: Schwarzenegger calls Dems 'girlie men'

Could be worse, could be Jessie the body Ventura slamming dems through tables at the conventions...
              The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• delirious
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

He says something and get's nailed for it.
                He refuses to apologise.
                But then edits that section out of his next speech.
                Sounds a bit like Bush.

The only reason he's ranting about "girlie men" is because they're the ones who've been stronger than him in negotiating the state budget, hence his childish name-calling.

And people actually support him.

Comment

• Yao
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

I'm not into this particular politic issue, but heck, some people just have no sense of humour. I thought the remark in itself was pretty damn funny.

Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

I think Ah-nold is being unfairly criticized for this one. The term was used ad naseum in a skit which basically mocked him, and his adopting the term to refer to those that, in his mind, were wimping out looked to me to be a way to make light of the situation by referring to that skit. As I recall, Hans & Frans were not referring to gay people -- they were referring to men who didn't work out, were weak, etc.

To assume that the statement is homophobic, don't you have to start from the idea that girlie man=gay man? I guess I just disagree -- I had always thought that gay men are pretty much just men who dig other men. There is no requirement that gay men do anything "girlie." Aren't we past that type of sterotyping by now?

Frankly, to take his comment and extrapolate that into a slam on gay men seems to me to make certain assumptions and generalizations about gay people.

Schwarzenegger's comments were probably overly casual and glib, but I just don't see it as homophobic. Perhaps someone that is gay can correct me on this, but I just don't see it.

Comment

• lopark
                      Getting warmed up
                      • Jun 2004

"If they don't have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, 'I don't want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers ... if they don't have the guts, I call them girlie men,"
                      Does that mean Republicans DO have the guts to admit they want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers, etc...?

And when asked what his political goals were, the Governator replied:
                      "Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!"

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
                        I'm not into this particular politic issue, but heck, some people just have no sense of humour. I thought the remark in itself was pretty damn funny.

Which is exactly the case of the post above yours. Some people just have to take everything seriously I guess.
                        "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                        "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• rewing3
                          I really don't care
                          • Jun 2004

Leave it to arnold to pissoff people in california.
                          Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• superdave
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

this is one of the best quotes in a long time. and i'm glad arnold refused to apologize.
                            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• the sun the sea
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

yeah, when i heard this, i was laughing my ass off.

he used the word from "hanz & franz" skit from snl, absolutely classic.

download dj sets at: www.mixwalla.com

Comment

Working...