• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Spineless Democrats

Dear Democrats,

I've left a number of messages, but I still haven't heard anything back from you yet. Is your voicemail working? Is there a better number to reach you? Did I do something to upset you?

Hope all is well. Keep in touch.

Warmly,
    Opportunity

Thought this was a pretty good blog post on the topic:

The Democrats are unbelievable. They give us almost no reason for hope. Just when you think they might have figured out how to fight back against the Bush administration, they pull the rug out from underneath themselves -- again. My God, how simple is it to say the Iraq War was a mistake and we should have never invaded in the first place?
    But they inexplicably refuse to do this most obvious first step.

From this week on "Meet the Press":

TIM RUSSERT: Based on what you now know today, do you regret having voted for the war?

SEN. SCHUMER: Well, no, Tim, because my vote was seen and I still see it as a need to say we must fight a strong and active war on terror.

Are you kidding me? Tying in the original invasion of Iraq with the fight against terrorism and al-Qaeda? Does this guy work for the Bush administration? It's impossible to be more wrong and more spineless.

Democrats blame the Bush administration for misleading the country into war, and then when given the opportunity to say they would have done otherwise, they refuse. They say they would have done the same thing.

I'm trying to not get angry, but this is as frustrating as it gets. Is there no one who will speak up for us? Is there no one who will speak reason in this country?

These sadly misguided Democrats think they're being "strong" by saying they would still have authorized the invasion of Iraq knowing what they know now. In fact, they're being painfully weak. No one would mistake their vacillating position for strength.

Strength is having the courage of your convictions. And fighting for what you believe.

If the Democratic establishment actually believes the war was still a good idea, then I don't want anything to do with them. If they think it was a bad idea, but they are trying to score political points by pretending to be in favor of it, then I don't want anything to do with them.

Didn't they already lose an election with this strategy?

Other than being cowardly, this stance is also politically ineffectual. John Kerry already tried to prove how tough he was by saying he supported the Iraq War. It didn't work. People called him a flip-flopper for criticizing the President while agreeing with him at the same time. They were right.

"The Iraq war was a terrible idea and I completely agree with it" is an unprincipled stand that cannot be defended. It's so simple to say you were misled by the administration and that you would never trust them to make this type of decision again.

It looks like Patrick Fitzgerald is going to make your case so much easier by uncovering some of the lies that led us into the war. For the love of God, just say you were lied to and that you would never make the same mistake if you had to do it over.

Democrats criticize the President for never owning up to his mistakes, but yet, they're doing the same exact thing. And the mistake they would have to admit to here is "trusting this administration." So simple. If they can't get this right this late in the game, are they ever going to be able to get anything right?

I don't want to nitpick every Senator on every issue. I am not the type to abandon someone because they disagree with me on a couple of things. You will never find a politician you completely agree with. But the Iraq War is not a minor issue. It is the largest and most important issue. When the Democratic establishment supports George Bush's logic in taking us into this war and agrees with him on the original invasion, they make it impossible to support them.

I know this is not the position of every elected Democratic official. However, it is the position of the most influential and powerful Democratic leaders in the country, including Senators Schumer, Clinton, Kerry and Biden. This is not a small fringe group within the party, this is the party establishment.

Since the Republicans seem to be irredeemably lost on this issue, the Democratic Party is our last shred of hope. I hesitate in using harsh language against them, but they leave us no choice. I hope they can prove me wrong and show the American people they do have the courage to stand up and fight for the majority of Americans who now believe the Iraq War was a mistake. If they can't do that, they leave us with no one to root for, no hope for a better direction and no faith left in the system.
    Democrats blame the Bush administration for misleading the country into war, and then when given the opportunity to say they would have done otherwise, they refuse.

This is the problem with the Dems. Finally, after months and months of harping on the host of different things Bush and his buddies have done wrong, the message is starting to get through and the jugular is exposed. Now what? If you're a democrat, evidently the answer is nothing.

The Miers appointment was a disaster. The Iraq war is enormously unpopular. Libby will almost certainly be indicted tomorrow. Rove likely will as well, or enter into a plea agreement. I've heard that Fitzgerald is also investigating whether someone in the administration forged those documents re the Niger yellowcake. If ever there was a time to kill the administration's mojo and make some gains in the 2006 and 2008 elections, it is now. As the neocons have demonstrated, there's no mercy in politics. C'mon Dems, get with the program...
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Spineless Democrats

EXACTLY. they love to point out and try to solve what is wrong, but they never actually try to do the right thing. we know the retard in DC is at least trying, to no avail, but trying nonetheless. the democrats have become the gossip queens who point out the dorky girl in HS, but end up pregnant living in a trailor with thier HS boyfriend, fat and unemployed, while the republicans are the kids wining the awards from the ""assisted education"" classes. (read: retards)

i cant yearn to vote for either party, but will end voting republican if rudy G or mccain runs.......... there does not exist a viable candidate for the democratic party i can think of. kerry still hasnt made up his mind on anything, and more ppl realize it now, and hillary will divide the country more than ever, keep in mind the majority voted for bush and a lot of them will lean even frther right and make life worse is she wins, McCain is respected at least but still tied into the ""I.O.U."" concept of party politics.

your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Kobe
      I wish I had an interesting User title
      • Jun 2004

They really are a pathetic bunch. They are trying to not alientate those in favor of the war, read: people who have never and will never vote for them anyway. All this does is create no alternate option, which is how we ended up in this mess in the first place.

Pat Buchanen was on Hardball last night and tried to blame the whole war on the Dem/Congress for not voicing a stronger opposition, claiming at least Bush and Co. believed in their arguement. Uhhh, yeah, but they were lying. Who's to blame again?
      Beats are my crack.

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Everyone, lol. Stupid dems didn't really show much of an opposition in the end though i guess...

At least I can say I'm a dem with a spine, albeit a European one (so I'm considered to be right of the middle here)...thus prolly disualifying for any real position in US politics, hehe....
        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Baltasar
          Fresh Peossy
          • Nov 2004

www.djbaltasar.com

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

i am gong to file a petition in manhatten DC to hav e the party names changed to ""hard heads"" and ""pussies""
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

Working...