X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarble187
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    • Sep 2004

Re: moving to denver.

Is this official and wouldnt federal law overule this city ordinance? Just like what happened in California with the legalization of medical marijuana...the federal government can overide the law and still bust you even if you have a prescription.

As The Denver Post has said-
    "We think it probably would be preferable for the state and federal governments to legalize, tax and regulate marijuana use. Law enforcement resources - and jail cells - can be put to better use than rounding up pot smokers.
    But as long as federal and state laws make marijuana illegal, local legalization efforts do nothing more than send a message to higher levels of government.
    Under state law, possession of an ounce or less of pot is a Class 2 petty offense, punishable by a fine of up to $100. Denver cops would continue to enforce that law even if I-100 passes, according to the City Attorney's Office. (Last year, there were 2,072 such busts in Denver, down from 3,500 in 1998.) We don't think there's any point in passing a law that will have no effect."
    Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• jarble187
      vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
      • Sep 2004

*Edit*- Double Post.
      Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• Steve Graham
        DJ Jelly
        • Jun 2004

but at least this will hopefully move things in the right direction. the only thing is, you legalise this.. whats next?

Comment

• chanty
          John, John, where art thou!
          • Jun 2004

Way to go Denver! Over a year ago in Ontario we were going to legalize small quantities of pot, I think it was an ounce and under as well. I haven't heard anything about it for a long time now. It was funny, the other day I was walking through our financial district amoungst all these suits and I could smell someone smoking a reefer!
          Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• asdf_admin
            i use to be important
            • Jun 2004

drugs were only put into the illegal state because white people wanted to prevent "blacks" from raping white women. i fucking watched a program about drugs on tlc. it is a whole series. is that fucked up shit? they broke down pretty much every drug, amazing stuff. yet sad.

o here is an add on. so you guys do not think i am crazy.

Cocaine was prohibited in the first part of the 20th century. Newspapers used terms like "Negro Cocaine Fiends" and "Cocainized Niggers" to drive up sales, causing a nationwide panic about the rape of white women by black men, high on cocaine. Many police forces changed from a .32 caliber to a .38 caliber pistol because the smaller gun was supposedly unable to kill black men when they were high on cocaine.

This was followed by the Harrison Act, which required sellers of opiates and cocaine to get a license (which were usually only distributed to white people). The supporters of the Harrison Act did not support blanket prohibition of the drugs involved 1 (http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...s/cu/cu8.html). This is also true of the later Marijuana Tax Act in 1937. Soon, however, the people who were allowed to issue the licenses did not do so, effectively banning the drugs.
            dead, yet alive.

Comment

• picklemonkey
              Double hoodie beer monster
              • Jun 2004

I'm moving to Denver too. My roommate has been snoring on the couch next to me for the past hour.

Comment

• Steve Graham
                DJ Jelly
                • Jun 2004

why are you on the couch with your roommate?

Comment

• 3d_1200
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

according to the movie "grass" (narrated by woody harrelson sp?) most marijuana laws were concieved as an effective legal way of controlling the mexicans. the movie basically says it was the mexicans who introduced us to the weed, and since the white folk didnt much care for them, they made laws against the substance knowing full well it was basically exclusive to mexicans.

why didnt the americans steal it and make money off it like they did everything else?
                  http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24706

Comment

• picklemonkey
                    Double hoodie beer monster
                    • Jun 2004

he's on the couch next to me. two couches.

Comment

• ZendoBro
                      Mr. Roboto
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jarble187
                      Is this official and wouldnt federal law overule this city ordinance? Just like what happened in California with the legalization of medical marijuana...the federal government can overide the law and still bust you even if you have a prescription.

As The Denver Post has said-
                      "We think it probably would be preferable for the state and federal governments to legalize, tax and regulate marijuana use. Law enforcement resources - and jail cells - can be put to better use than rounding up pot smokers.
                      But as long as federal and state laws make marijuana illegal, local legalization efforts do nothing more than send a message to higher levels of government.
                      Under state law, possession of an ounce or less of pot is a Class 2 petty offense, punishable by a fine of up to $100. Denver cops would continue to enforce that law even if I-100 passes, according to the City Attorney's Office. (Last year, there were 2,072 such busts in Denver, down from 3,500 in 1998.) We don't think there's any point in passing a law that will have no effect."
                      That's true. Federal law still overrides any state law, but the priority would be shifted elsewhere. In Alaska I believe it's legal to possess marijuana in the privacy of your home, but for authorities to go knocking down doors would be a waste of their time.
                      I am no cyberwhore...
                      http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• nicomax
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

I'll move too if the thing gets worked out
                        Nicomax

Comment

• Yao
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

A small step ahead, and IMO there are less deaths caused my the use of marihuana than by those fucking guns everyone can still buy out there.

Some racist politician (I think the loser is about my age) here deemed it necessary that we should allow peepz in the Netherlands to carry guns too. Bloody fruitcake, I've memorized his ugly face so I know him when I see him and i'll punch him in the nose out of the blue.

Damn I'm so looking forward to doing that. Racist Pig.
                          Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Balanc3
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Its not all that bad, think about it there is prostitution outside Vegas.

However, this is not a first for Denver. About 10yrs back it was legal to posses marijuana legally however the law was reversed. Now they have legalized it once again, but in time voters will most likely overturn the law again. Its a constant battle.

And... isn't it also legal in Washington now? Or was that for medical purposes only? Something happened after the November presidential election.

I know when I was in Michigan a few years back it was legal to grow and possess up to three live plants! You just can't serve or possess the yielded product.

Just a couple dope facts.
                            JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• 3d_1200
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Balanc3
                              I know when I was in Michigan a few years back it was legal to grow and possess up to three live plants! You just can't serve or possess the yielded product.
                              Are you sure about that one? i lived there until early this year and MI is def one of the least lienant states i've ever been to.

there was hash bash in ann arbor, where it gets decriminalized for a day, and the only penalty would be a $25 fine, but while the holiday is still celebrated, the police enfore the law as usual (probobly more so) on this day.
                              http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24706

Comment

• Balanc3
                                Platinum Poster
                                • Jun 2004

I'm pretty sure, I was in northern Michigan and they were definately some of the most strict police when it came to most things. Especially alcohol. But when it came to pot... Michigan is defo some pots heads, all I'm gonna say.
                                JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

Working...