X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superdave
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Paul van dyk's Rock the vote tour kinda irritates me

PVD is touring America to Rock the Vote and I like the guy. My problem with this is that PVD isn't American. Last time I checked he was German and he can't vote.

I know he spends a lot of time and makes lots of money off Americans and cares about America, but shouldn't it be someone else? Possibly someone American who can actually vote themselves.
    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

what irritates me more than his stupid rock the vote tour...

is his annoying music.

Comment

• deeprogressions
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks

is his annoying music.
      Ah words of wisdom that I myself could not have spoken any more eloquently. I suspect that we are not alone in the sentiment that Pauls music Sucks. But hey that's just me.

Comment

• devon
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks

is his annoying music.
        jenks, i knew we would be able to agree on something sooner or later.
        i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• davetlv
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

And who was it that said music and politics dont mix.

Comment

• Steve Graham
            DJ Jelly
            • Jun 2004

wel, he does have a cd out called Politics of Dancing.. maybe he is confused as to what he is campaigning for

Comment

• toasty
              Sir Toastiness
              • Jun 2004

Re:: Paul van dyk's Rock the vote tour kinda irritates me

I suppose part of being the most powerful and influencial country in the world is that the rest of the world gives a damn about what happens in our elections. Besides, there are worse messages he could send than just encouraging people to vote -- Americans may have spearheaded the idea, but we hardly have a monopoly on it anymore.

Of course, if he were out actively campaigning for someone or something, that would be silly. Do you know if he is supporting one side or the other?

It does appear that we can all agree as to the quality of his tunes...

Comment

• neoee
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by unome
                wel, he does have a cd out called Politics of Dancing.. maybe he is confused as to what he is campaigning for
                That reminds me... If you read the sleeve notes to Politics of Dancing you see that he is talking mainly about the closure of Twilo and the political BS surrounding it. I can actually understand why he may be concerned with our politics. Maybe he's just trying to get people to vote as not to kill off our scene... or it could just be another money making ploy.
                "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neoee
                  Originally posted by unome
                  That reminds me... If you read the sleeve notes to Politics of Dancing you see that he is talking mainly about the closure of Twilo and the political BS surrounding it. I can actually understand why he may be concerned with our politics. Maybe he's just trying to get people to vote as not to kill off our scene... or it could just be another money making ploy.
                  thats a good point.. see my sig .. thats a web site about protecting our rights

Comment

• neoee
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

^^^ I've been to that site before. I think a friend of a friend emailed it to me.
                    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• brakada
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by davetlv
                      And who was it that said music and politics dont mix.
                      I said: "Don't mix music with politics." :wink: And I still think so. Nothing good can come out of mixing ANYTHING with politics, but I support PVD in his cause. Hmm... :? Did I just flip-flop? :wink:
                      We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• qwerty2222
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

pvd is a good dj and should stick to his mixing stuff
                        always hated musicians who try to get involve in politics
                        i dont understand them
                        i thought there were some lame musicians desperate for money, but with pvd i dont think its the case
                        he maybe spent to much time in the ibiza sun

Comment

• Ariel Cybana
                          Addiction started
                          • Jul 2004

I dont understand why for this tour they'd have someone who can't register to vote in the US to headline the tour as he's not a US citizen. However if it brings attention to encourage people to vote then it serves its purpose.

Back in high school in my economics class, we can get 100 extra credit points if we registered to vote. Made my "B" turn into an "A"!

Comment

• brakada
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jun 2004

Maybe it's to show that even people outside US are terribly worried about the "fate" of the USA...
                            We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• mingus51
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
                              Of course, if he were out actively campaigning for someone or something, that would be silly. Do you know if he is supporting one side or the other?
                              I can't remember the interview, but he alluded to not being happy with George Bush. Kind of silly to guise the whole dem. push behind a "rock the vote" type slogan....Smart people don't need to be rocked to vote...You notice that MTV is the only other media outlet that pushes these kind of message...get those 18-22 year old headstrong kiddies before they grow up and find out how the world really works. Usually it's the mouth breathers that follow entertainers, that need this piece of mental cheese to chase after...and most musicians are liberals because they don't have to feel the brunt of what a democratic economy would be like on their wallets...if they were poorer, they might not support the left as blindly...But that's ok becasue they are artists, and by nature, artists have a little bleeding heart "I wanna change the world" in them as do most college students that watch MTV...It's cute sometimes like "we are the world" and Pearl Jam's cute little Green Party campaign and those cute little sit down things that MTV will do with the president. It rarely culminates into something that intelligent voting people have to worry about.

The fact that PVD guised it in a postive form vs. what he really might want to say (which is F*** you americans) makes it easier for me, personally, to tolerate it.

ROCK ON PVD!!!

I'll go on record though saying I love him as a DJ and as a producer...He's good...nuff said.

Comment

Working...