X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CHiEF_N
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Car Subwoofer Suggestions?

I'm looking to upgrade my car's sound system. I've been looking at 12" subwoofers lately and am quite disenchanted with the idea at this point. I haven't found any that sound remotely good yet, imo. They all sounded muddy. What I'm looking for is very accurate bass. Sound quality is way more important than SPL. A friend of mine had a Polk DB which was the old model from 4-5 yrs. ago in a homemade sealed box and it sounded excellent. Every bass note was hit with close to perfect accuracy and it felt like I had just went to an Asian spa for a back massage after getting out of his car, very plush bass. Unfortunately they don't make this same model of subwoofer and my friend has moved out of state, so I can't ask for his advice without having to track him down. I went to circuit city and listened to the polk DB 12", but they had them in a box and it was a dual ported setup. The sound quality was horrible imo, too damn muddy. I know the box has a great deal to do with the SQ of a sub, so it may have just been the box they were in. I also listened to an infinity reference 12" and alpine type R 12" in sealed enclosures, which also sounded like garbage, one in circuit city and the other in best buy. Again, this may be all due to the pre-fabricated boxes they were in. I was looking at Crutchfield and saw that they have a Boston Acoustics 12" with the high roll surround design. Looks like a sweet sub, but I'd hate to buy one and it sound just as crappy as the ones I've tested out recently. I'm planning on building a sealed box to meet the manufacturer's recommended specifications for enhanced SQ when I finally decide on a sub. I've included a link to the sweet looking Boston Acoustics sub below. It's probably a given, but I'm like the majority of folks here and listen to mostly progressive house, breaks and also some jazzy drum n' bass.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-25ToGHgwmeb/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&id=morephotos&pi=4&i=065G2124&d isplay=XL#Tab

Someone please hit me back with some expertise in this area. These car audio sales people that I've been talking to obviously aren't audiophiles. They seem like they just want to make a quick sale and move on to the next customer.
    ^Existing Extraordinarily^

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Mahatma Ghandi~
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Car Subwoofer Suggestions?

There's JL Audio...

and then there's everything else.

Comment

• CHiEF_N
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Nice answer Jenks! Any particular JL models in mind that won't deplete the entire wallet's surplus?

Comment

• 3d_1200
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

i agree i have 2 JL 10's and love the way they sound. having a good amplifier is key to clean sound. i run a PPI 400w amp and i am satisfied.
        http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24706

Comment

• neoee
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Good amp as 3d suggested, but also you should have the freq. limited to the sub. Its probably why you are getting muddy sound. I have an old alpine v12 and it has a built in cross-over adjust, works very well. Don't know what out there now a days as its been some time since I took interest in car audio.
          "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• hambino21
            PFC Semen Ham
            • Jul 2004

The right kind of acoustics aka(box) make a huge difference. The way you manage the air is key. bandpass boxes are very effective on certain subs, as sealed are for others.research products. the correct set up of this type will maximize sound quality.

OOps , you already mentioned that i didnt read that far yet.......never mind then
            " Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"

- Me-

Comment

• Kobe
              I wish I had an interesting User title
              • Jun 2004

you should talk to rms_1k, he's our resident mirror shaker

I have a ported custom box with a tiny little 6" JL and a 150 watt MA audio amp, the whole mess fits is my spare tire well and fills out the sound range very nicely. Probably nowhere near as precise as what you're looking for, but it works for me.
              Beats are my crack.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                Double hoodie beer monster
                • Jun 2004

subs I use.

Comment

• evangelion
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

I agree with Jenks...JL is the way to go. I've had 2 Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC 10" for years and they sound really good too.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                    Double hoodie beer monster
                    • Jun 2004

JL

Comment

• day_for_night
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

ummm negative on the JL's.

boston acoustic, rockford fosgate, or kicker...the way to go

personally, i'd rather have a really good set of separates and maybe some nice 6x9's than a set of subs.

Comment

• Jenks
                        I'm kind of a big deal.
                        • Jun 2004

i roll with the stock stereo!

Comment

• CHiEF_N
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

Thanks for all of the replies. However, I have a quick question before I go out and do more field testing on the suggested products.

Those who are opposed to JL, what reasons do you have for this, manufacturing defects, dishonoring warranty guarantees, crappy sound, etc.? I went to JL Audio's website and they were stating that their primary focus is in fact sound quality over anything else. Sounds like my cup of tea.

My brother has two 10" JL subs in his truck and they do sound good, but not quite as good as I remember that old Polk DB 12". Although moving up to a 12" JL may very well be my answer for the type of SQ and SPL that I'm searching for.

Comment

• msanchez
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jun 2004

I have to go with JL Audio myself. VERY efficient subwoofers..the ones i had hit nice basslines even though i was using a shitty rockfard amp. but yeah as for bostons, ive never heard a boston sub. but my car has all around boston compnents, and man does those bitches scream, QUALITY. clarity is what i go for in my car. not just how much i can rattle my trunk haha.

but yeah, i would definatly checkout some JL subs, theres bound to be one to meet your demands and for a decent price.
                            ..you didnt create me, you infected me with your poison

SoulSeek Name: msanchez

Comment

• day_for_night
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

i had boston acoustic 12's in my yonger days...and pretty much in every way other than price (they were only marginally more expensive) they beat JLs. doing a direct comparison they sounded much clearer, had more punch, and distorted less as the volume went up.

boston components are even better, some of the best i've ever heard.

Comment

Working...