X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • esef
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Jury duty sucks

for those of you at work, be thankful! i've been on jury duty for a week, with no end in sight til next week. lemme tell ya, it's NOT what is seems on Law & Order...

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Jury duty sucks

Thank god I've never had to do it.. being a convicted felon.. j/k. Seriously tho I have mates that have had to do it and heard the same thing.

plus, you cant carry a laptop in there and keep with MS

Comment

• Civic_Zen
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

I got a notice for Jury duty once, I just didn't go.

You don't have to do it you know. They'll just keep you on the list and make you do it another time.
      "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
      "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
      - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• dawnx
        The Donator
        • Jun 2004

I've never had to do it, I think it would be quit cool if you had to do it & somebody was up who you didn't like, guilty all the fucking way. I suppose they wouldn't let you do it if you knew the offender.

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Civic_Zen

You don't have to do it you know. They'll just keep you on the list and make you do it another time.
          Depends upon the jurisdiction. I had a trial once where a juror didn't show, and the judge had the sherriff go out and do what's known as a body attachment, where they haul you back in to serve. Some courts are pretty strict about your need to serve...

Comment

• tiddles
            Encryption, Jr.
            • Jun 2004

just say you have massive explosive uncontrolable diarrhea

Comment

• lilsensa
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

or you could always lie in the questioning process........tell them you have anger problems and are unstable.......they'll let you off for sure :wink:
              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Trancelucent One
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty

Depends upon the jurisdiction. I had a trial once where a juror didn't show, and the judge had the sherriff go out and do what's known as a body attachment, where they haul you back in to serve. Some courts are pretty strict about your need to serve...
                I think Civic was referring to the jury selection process...it's the initial notice you receive. You don't have to show up for that. Once you're selected you are required too...that juror that was hauled back in was probably already selected. You can be excused from jury duty for many reasons too....they can't make you but most people don't know that so they just go.
                ~Pam

I like it dark and dirty!!!

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Trancelucent One
                  Originally posted by toasty

I think Civic was referring to the jury selection process...it's the initial notice you receive. You don't have to show up for that. Once you're selected you are required too...that juror that was hauled back in was probably already selected. You can be excused from jury duty for many reasons too....they can't make you but most people don't know that so they just go.
                  Exactly.
                  "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                  "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                  - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• JohnMarius
                    Fresh Peossy
                    • Jul 2004

I hear ya Jury Duty is horrible, I was on a murder trial for a month. SUCKED

Comment

• Morgan
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

There are ways to get around it even if you are selected. Usally just tell them you are biased or predjucied.

I?d love to serve on a jury, if it was a drugs case, there would be a not guilty verdict whatever the evidence.
                      "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• Pebbles
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

I was picked to sit on a jury. It was ok, considering I totaly hated my job!

Comment

• zeronineteen
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

I got a jury duty letter a couple of months ago and wrote that I suffered from social anxiety and never heard back.
                          Before you can see the light, you have to deal with the darkness.

Comment

• neoee
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

I wish I would get called. I got called once when I was like 18 but got out of it by showing up late. Now that my job will pay me to go I'd love to get on a trial that was like a week long, it would be like a vacation for me.
                            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• nbpgt
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

i got picked for jury duty about 2 months after moving to texas.. it sucked & was shaping up to be a pretty boring real estate case.. but thankfully i said something the lawyers didnt like & they sent me home

Comment

Working...