X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kobe
    I wish I had an interesting User title
    • Jun 2004

Adaptation

Another over-the-weekend Netflix (no, I don't have a life )

Anyway, I still don't know what to make of this one, it is artistic and very well made, but left me disappointed.

Here is a copy/paste of the synopsis:

An account of screenwriter Charlie Kaufman's (Cage) attempt to adapt Susan Orlean's (Streep) non-fiction book The Orchid Thief, which is the story of John Laroche (Cooper), a plant dealer who clones rare orchids then sells them to collectors. We see the action of the book as we see Kaufman struggle to adapt it into a movie. This is presumably a somewhat true story, as CharlieKaufman is the real life screenwriter of Adaptation.

I thought Cage's character was fascinating as he struggled with himself and his material and was crippled by self doubt. I also loved some of the details such as the description of the orchids themselves and some of the science surrounding them. Unfortunately for me, what was a really interesting bit of character development goes careening off track as they slapped on a caper ending and basically blew up what they had spent the entire film developing. Maybe I'm missing the point but I thought the ending really betrayed the rest of the film and l left me feeling unfulfilled and a little cheated.

I will give it 4/5 but that's rounded up from a high 3 and it could have been a 4.5/5 if they hadn't muffed the end (IMO )
    Beats are my crack.
  • Digger
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Nov 2004

Re: Adaptation

havent see it, i will if you put it 4 out of 5.....im not good doing review but i will put my opinion!!
    https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• anonin
      Juvenile Delinquent
      • Oct 2005

excellent film

Comment

• BSully828
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

I know exactly what you mean Kobe - I had the same gripes with the ending as well. I get the irony with making the ending filled with the kind of Hollywood crap Charlie railed against throughout the film, but I just didn't really see why. Seemed like a pretty weak way to end an otherwise good film.

I did however really like the two characters Cage played, and Chris Cooper is fucking awesome in everything he's in. Also loved the way they did Charlie's fantasy scenes - how they played it totally straight, like he was about to get some from a hot waitress, then it cuts to someone barging in while he's giving it a tug. Had me crying the first time I saw it.
        Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
        a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• Kobe
          I wish I had an interesting User title
          • Jun 2004

Ah, good call about the irony, that's what I was missing (I knew there was something!) but I'm still not sure it works.

I also really liked the dynamic between Charlie and his twin brother Donald as they were polar opposites- one brilliant and introverted and angry, the other a bit dimwhitted, but out going and just an all around nice guy. Really great characters in this movie.

I totally agree about Cooper, it was good to see him get a role where he can shine a little, he often gets shoved off to the side in smaller more limiting roles.
          Beats are my crack.

Comment

Working...