• translucent
    Getting warmed up
    • Nov 2004

12/9>Ashtrax (Ashley Casselle+Ben Lost), Veltri & Roth @ Sullivan Room, NYC

Groovanauts.com Presents:

Global Underground Album Release Party @ SULLIVAN ROOM:
    ASHTRAX presents The Remote [Ben Lost & Ashley Casselle] *LIVE SET*
    w/Dany Veltri & Zack Roth

...and Dany Veltri's B-Day Extravaganza!

2 for 1 drinks before 12am

email list@groovanauts.com for reduced admission.

Sullivan Room
    218 Sullivan Street, NYC
    10pm to ?:??am
    21+

Ashtrax (Ben Lost & Ashley Casselle):

Ben Lost spent the best part of his teenage years fronting a couple of glam punk bands, getting his kicks from all the boyish perks that came with it and enjoying brief fame with some national radio play (john peel & Steve Lamacq - Radio One), magazine articles (The NME, Melody Maker, The Guardian and Just 17) and a few too many sordid gossip column inches courtesy of the UK music press.

The band disbanded as each member went on their own individual missions such as PHD's, musical offshoots, philosophy and poverty, or in Bens case, the discovery of electronic drug music, large dark rooms and an foray into the world of DJing, something he had so far only done at alternative club nights in his home town of Peterboro.

Initially it was the soaring synth-pop-sci-fi melodies of trance that captured Bens imagination and an almost weekly pilgrimage to Sheffield’s Gatecrasher club in 1998 where a gang of lovable cyber urchins, tyrannies and dealers would welcome him into a period of glorious decadence with open arms.

Naturally, the more Ben hung out in these neon cathedrals of gluttony, the more he got into the music and a set of decks were purchased a year later in 1999 where Ben started mixing at mates houses and after parties, such as the Sheffield Sunday afternoon club at The Howard Pub, a place where 100's of kids would descend upon from all over the North in search of more music, more fun and most likely, more ketamine.

After a couple of years working in the music industry in London, Ben found a job at Hooj, one of the labels that Ben had fallen in love with since his relatively new affair with clubland.

Its here that Ben started A&R’ing for the then embryonic Lost Language label and its here that Ben stayed for 3 years, releasing over 50 singles and cutting his name as a DJ to watch (Mixmag Future Hero) and notching up more international bookings than he had ever dreamed - Japan, USA, Russia, Germany, China, Singapore, Canada, Finland...etc etc

As Bens DJing career progressed so did his understanding of what he considered to be good electronic music and all around him he could smell a rot.

"it seemed to me, that the music in a lot of the clubs I was playing and most of the music I was being sent had lost all of the balls, quirkiness and energy that I had originally been drawn to in dance music. What made matters worse was that, due to being a little punk kid from Peterboro and having a fairly ltd understanding of dance music at the time, I had actually started to play some of this shit. Its almost too easy when your getting paid, flying around, partying afterwards etc etc to make excuses and just play what those kids know and what you know...but it got to a point where I had been venturing into other clubs and other record shops and I had to put my musical integrity before all that, besides the only people still involved in all that shit in the UK were old cunts who hadn’t learned when to stop and were basically just ripping off kids, selling them cheap ideas behind big door prices...I just fucked off."

Ben quit Lost Language: "I had to make a clean break and I'd fallen out with a couple of the artists whose album was getting finished. They threatened not to let us have the master, it was a worthless pile of crap anyway, but I took this as a good cue to hand the label over to someone who was still into it all".

After cancelling his remaining UK gigs Ben spent the spring and summer of
    2005 forging an entirely new sound based on his visits to Nag Nag Nag and Secret Sundaze in the UK and The Pawn Shop in Miami. Tripped out, bleak, melodic, haunted, smashed up, no wave drug music. Ben says "My sets had been nodding at this sound for a good year but I tried out some more niche stuff in Russia, Canada, Japan and Singapore and they fucking loved it. It was completely new to them and to see that reaction, well, it certainly made me feel confidant that I'd made the right decision".

While all this was happening Ben had continued writing and singing for Ashley Casselle’s Ashtrax project and after 4 years of fights, arguments, trippy adventures and the occasional triumph over adversity...the album is due out on GU in February 2006.

Now going under the new name of The Remote, Ash and Ben are about to embark on a live tour which on the basis of their Bestival debut on the Isle of White this summer, is going to be all things shambolic, energetic, raw and thrilling.

Alongside The Remote, Ben has formed another band with some of the ex members of his teenage punk band, an electronic, glam punk, pork rock outfit that goes under the name of Tough Love. With more than a handfull of acclaimed live gigs under their bullet belts and a host of big labels sniffing around, this are looking good for the little boy lost in 2006.

Ashley's DJ career began 10 years ago after fellow Hastonian John Digweed asked him to take over the alternative room of his new night Bedrock on Hastings pier. This gave him scope to experiment and entertain in his own style, blending vintage funk with phat beats, disco with dubby techno and all manner of different musical styles, he
    quickly gained respect from a wide range of DJs which resulted in a residency at Riviera with Stuart Patterson where he developed his blend of funky tech even further. Later he found himself joining Sasha & Digweed on their highly acclaimed Northern Exposure tour, playing to highly enthusiastic up for it crowds which helped pave the way for his next residency..at Gatecrasher! He suddenly found himself playing before legends like Carl Cox and Paul Oakenfold, his groovathon sets becoming the stuff of Northern folklore..

Since those hey-days Ashley has risen from playing seminal deep house clubs like 'Riviera' with Kenny Hawkes & Stuart Patterson to earning residency status at Gatecrasher. Besides the usual domestic gigs at Cream, Colours, Bedrock etc, Ashley headlined internationally at [to name a few]...Vinyl NYC, Spundae in San Fransisco, Zouk in Singapore, Home in Sydney, La Boom in Mexico as well as China, Japan, Canada, S.Africa, Holland in addition to taking up Paul van Dyk's invitation to play the Berlin Love Parade spinning in front of a million people on Paul's truck!

Dany Veltri:

Dany Veltri will always consider himself a fan of the music above anything else. His earliest experiences in EDM came in the form of The Smiths, Erasure, New Order and Alphaville. After a brief and unsuccessful stint as a hippy - "I had the hippy fro" going, but not much else" - Dany found himself back inside the clubs soaking in as much music as he possibly could. A few years later, inspired by such artists as Paul van Dyk, The Chemical Brothers, Sasha and Steve Lawler, he decided to give DJ'ing a shot. His style is a thumping blend of electro, trance and progressive house music that ranges from the funky and uplifting to the evil and wicked.

Dany has spent 2005 playing with the likes of Steve Gerrard, Ben Lost, Pole Folder, Second Sun, Noel Sanger, Madoka and Paolo Mojo at venues such as Remote NYC, Club Seho, Shelter, Table 50 & The Sullivan Room.

Zack Roth:

A DJ with truly eclectic tastes in music, Zack Roth is definitely an up and comer to look out for in the near future. Since 2004, he has played at some of New York City's best known clubs, including Sullivan Room, Ikon (formerly Exit), and most recently Avalon. Zack has spun alongside some of the best known and respected DJs and Producers in the business, including Paolo Mojo, Noel Sanger, Thomas Penton, Madoka, Kai and Sheldon Romero. His style of music can be described as progressive, dark, and most importantly danceable.
Working...