• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Rational Thought Prevails -- Int. Design

Judge rules against 'intelligent design'

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- A federal judge has ruled "intelligent design" cannot be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district.

The Dover Area School Board violated the Constitution when it ordered that its biology curriculum must include "intelligent design," the notion that life on Earth was produced by an unidentified intelligent cause, U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III ruled Tuesday.

The school board policy, adopted in October 2004, was believed to have been the first of its kind in the nation.

"The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy," Jones wrote. "It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy."
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Rational Thought Prevails -- Int. Design

if a tree falls, and nobody is around, ......well, does anyone care?

these people are fucking morons and dont realize they are all the same, they all want everyone to respect, thier views, but they dont respect anyone else's. people like religion and choose to follow it, LET THEM, people are rational thoughtful beings as well and will choose to follow science, LET THEM. now only if we could get them to stop suing each other the have thier theory placed officially and let the schools teach both and let the kids decide, we might make some progress.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

the one thing that always gets me about this, is the fact that they spent all this money to sue to have religious stuff put into school, why didnt they just rent out a classroom and do what we do in NY, they hire a preist to teach religious education after school or on weekends. that way, everyone is sufficed and no is being stepped on.

we had the fucking asshole jewish lawyer in my town (huntington NY) who sued the town to have the christmas decorations taken out of town(its a small fishing village on the north shore of long island) all because the center peice manorah wasnt big enough and he felt that the jewish feast wasnt promoted enough. he asked for all the candy canes around the light poles to be taken down, the nativity to be removed form the park, and the crucifix removed from hanging over a street. upon entering court, the town showed that they only gave permission for the churches to put up the more religious items as tehy deemed fit, and the temple and church worked TOGETHER on the main display and the temple rabbi found his manorah to be more than enough. and only a few people from the temple said that maybe it could be bigger, but they all said it was fine and it was about the holidays and respecting others rather than ""my peice of the pie"". the asshole appealed when the judge said he wouldnt let the case go on. he said the fact the nativity was in the park was an affront to his beliefs. so rather than simply respecting everyone else, he wanted everyone to pass on thier own beliefs to accomodate his.
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• BSully828
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Cue Pat Robertson losing his shit in 3...2...1...

While i agree with the premise, it doesn't belong in a biology class. Glad to see some common sense being used in regards to religion vs. science.
        Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
        a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

^^exactly. No one is saying that people can't believe whatever they want. But belief and science are too totally different things (and need not be mutally exclusive -- you can believe in evolution and still believe that it was put into motion by a higher power), and theology should not be taught in a science class.

Comment

• neoee
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Seems everyone's on board, no controversy here. Move on, nothing to see.

I think Toasty said it best in his last statement. ID isn't science since its not falsifable. At its root level ID requires faith. It belongs in a mythology class, not science.
            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...