X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maddlingo
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Hostel

The new Quentin Tarintino flick. Has anyone seen the previews for this?

Thoughts.

Personally the previews freak the shit out of me.
    "Dream as if you''ll live forever, Live as if you''ll die today." -- James Dean --
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: Hostel

Natural Born Killers MEETS Saw (imo)
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• daveman
      I love the colors!!!
      • Jul 2005

yeah the previews got to me a bit too. they mentioned darkness in the commercial and it reminded me a bit of blair witch. blair witch used a lot of talking while staring at someones face. i can imagine the same kind of freaky dialouge but with a pitch black movie theater. your mind will be painting the pictures not shown. could be a real find fock. i think i'm gonna wait for the dvd and watch it alone with headphone or something in the dark. let it take full effect without some idiot behind you either laughing or freaking out.
      once upon a time, machines were mice, and men were lions. now that its the opposite, it's twice upon a time

Comment

• maddlingo
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Here is a link for a review of the movie.

Just reading this made me squeamish.
        "Dream as if you''ll live forever, Live as if you''ll die today." -- James Dean --

Comment

• peloquin
          Till I Come!
          • Jun 2004

quentin is the executive producer, he didnt write or direct. the movie looks completely shit imo...

Comment

• In-SighT
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

Saw the movie on Friday...had more of a plot than I expected, I thought it would just be a extremly bloody scary movie. The movie kept me interested till the end but it was pretty nasty is some parts.

I would recommend seeing it.
            "A man has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer."

Want Spoon'n music?
            Check out my downtempo mixes
            http://ryanlinneman.podOmatic.com

Comment

• jorre
              Addiction started
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by peloquin
              quentin is the executive producer, he didnt write or direct. the movie looks completely shit imo...
              so what did Tarantino exactly had to do with this movie?

Comment

• palmer
                Retired or Simply Important
                • Jun 2004

He was the executive producer. Meaning he had nothing to do with the movie at all in terms of production. He did however put his name behind it and make sure it got into theatres. He did the same thing with Hero.
                todayistomorrow
                art direction | design | animation

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

as what Spielberg did with Taken
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  Originally posted by ace_dl
                  Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• jorre
                    Addiction started
                    • Dec 2005

If his name wasn't on the poster, I wouldn't go see it I think...
                    jorre: victim of marketing...

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by palmer
                      He was the executive producer. Meaning he had nothing to do with the movie at all in terms of production. He did however put his name behind it and make sure it got into theatres. He did the same thing with Hero.
                      From a production standpoint, you're right, an Executive Producer doesn't really do much. They're more of the moneyman and help finance the film.

However, the executive producer is important in getting the film out there, and making sure that it's marketed correctly. Hero, which Quentin took an exec producer credit, was being held by Miramax for nearly two years, and was heading towards a straight to DVD release, because they weren't sure how to market it, and were unsure of if the film would find an audience, other than art house film circles, despite having been nominated for a best foreign film Oscar back in 2003. If it wasn't for Quentin, Hero probably would still be kicking around, and maybe had gotten a limited screening release in New York, Toronto, Los Angeles and London in a couple of art house inclined theatres. Part of the success that Hero was in North America was because Tarantino took the film off of Miramax's hands, and put the film into theatres, using an ad campaign that properly promoted the film (using a more aggressive angle, but playing up the similarities that Hero had with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

Same thing with Hostel. Hostel probably would have gone through the same problems that Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses went through - finding a distributor that would be able to promote the film properly, because of the violence (though a lot of it isn't really onscreen) and the subject matter and could be brave enough to sell it to the general filmgoing public. Ever since Sept 11th, most film companies have been scared shitless about releasing anything remotely offensive, unless it's a comedy. House of 1000 Corpses had a problem with distributors because it was so edgy and violent (imo it was pretty crappy - but I saw why the film was having distribution problems), and at the time, the film was pretty risky, since distributors weren't sure that they were going to get their money back from their investment, and I'm sure there was a pretty similar mindset when it came to this movie: Eli Roth has only done Cabin Fever, which performed well for an indie zero budget horror/splatter flick, but wasn't a blockbuster. He still had to prove his mettle. Quentin stepped in, takes an exec producer credit, and it's his name, not Eli Roth's that's on the line, and with Quentin's credentials as a director and an executive producer, the studios are more certain about how the film is going to perform.

Think of an executive producer as a party promoter in a sense - they are the people behind the scenes that make sure the talent is happy and the project is in tact, but also make sure that people are coming through the door to come to the party and making money to have more in the future.

Also, Quentin is responsible for getting much more challenging films out there for the public and giving a worthwhile alternative for the major studio crap like the latest Jerry Bruckhiemer film, or the latest release from Adam Sandler's production company Happy Madison. He's bucking trends and putting a lot of the test screening/market researchers to shame, as a lot of them would pass of films like Hero and Hostel and never consider giving either a wide release. He doesn't give a shit what the stats say for the most part, he just wants to get films that he likes (and thinks others will as well) out in the theatres and for people to see. If he claims an executive producer credit for that, I'm all for it, so long as he keep putting out stuff that's as edgy and unpredictable and new as stuff like Hostel and Hero.
                      Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• Localizer
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jul 2004

what a completey shit ass movie. Unless you're taking a trip to slovakia anytime soon (I'm sure what existed in the movie is out there), don't worry about being scared. The movie had a lot of potential but was just a huge let down. Just another one of those movies where the acting is quality but the directional of the film is poorly maneuvered.
                        Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                        -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• djprieto
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Aug 2004

I heard mix reviews about the movie, but I will probably wait for it until it comes out on DVD.
                          Infinity is just a state of mind..

Comment

• thomas
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Dec 2004

This movie bothered me at first, but for some reason it grew on me over the next few days. Apparently there will be sequel.

Comment

• man_who_wasnt_there
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Feb 2006

Canned tripe anyone?
                              Steve James 1978–2008

Comment

Working...