X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WilDFire
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

I will NEVER sell my turntables.

Sorry gang. Maybe it's cause I'm at a point in my life where I should be ok money wise, but even still, after spending countless hours at record shops buying all the beautiful art that is vinyl and that ensleeves the vinyl, why part with them?

Sure, CDJs are the balls, but vinyl is, well, delicious.

Just my 0.02 imho.
    Music makes the soul strong.
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

Re: I will NEVER sell my turntables.

i wish i never had to sell mine. money got tight and i got rid of them. never managed to get another pair.

Comment

• geoffgulley
      Platinum Poster
      • Apr 2005

I still have mine. They're sitting in their Odyssey cases in the basement and haven't been used in a year. Can't let them go even though I haven't mixed on them in the last 8 months. I have a Denon turntable in the studio to transfer any vinyl I happen to get to a .wav file (The Denon has a digital out) and I do all of my mixes on my Denon 9000 CD player. I'd love to get a couple of CDJ's but I can't justify the extra expense since I don't do mobile gigs and every residency I've ever had here in Cincy always had a Denon in the booth so I'm just extremely comfortable with them. I almost sold the decks once to buy a TC Finalizer for the studio but ended up just spending the cash for the finalizer rather than letting the Technics go...
      "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• Funky Dredd
        Are you Kidding me??
        • May 2005

I bought mine 13 years ago and I still have them and use them weekly. I'll never sell them as they have been with me through thick and thin!
        Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

i have 3, looking to unload one, but will never sell the other 2.. especially now you cant get any where near what they are worth

Comment

• peloquin
            Till I Come!
            • Jun 2004

never had any, never learned the basics even of mixing. i'm a listener.

Comment

• timriley12
              Fresh Peossy
              • Jun 2004

Never had a chance to learn vinyl Im' afraid - started and gone with CDJ's ... it must be technically so much more difficult to spin vinyl!

Comment

• Kobe
                I wish I had an interesting User title
                • Jun 2004

but you will sell your body, man-hoe
                Beats are my crack.

Comment

• DragonFire
                  Addiction started
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by timriley12
                  Never had a chance to learn vinyl Im' afraid - started and gone with CDJ's ... it must be technically so much more difficult to spin vinyl!
                  i'd like to know that as well ..is it really harder to spin on turns or cdjs ??
                  Don't Immitate ... Innovate

Comment

• geoffgulley
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Apr 2005

Turntables....... The CDJ's are static but there are all kinds of factors with turntables... their setup, cartridges, brand etc... What works setup wise with one dj with one turntable might not suit another dj, which is generally why dj's carry their own cartridges/needles. I remember the first time I spun Qool at Minna. I didn't have my own cartridges, the decks had trackmasters on them and I was used to Ortofons. I just could not get the records to que at all... skipped all over the frickin place. (That and the dj setup hung from the ceiling and swayed... and people danced on the stage and would bump it...) What you see with a CDJ is what you get.... No different brands, tonearms, needles, slipmats etc....

Comment

• Terry
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DragonFire
                      i'd like to know that as well ..is it really harder to spin on turns or cdjs ??
                      The difficulty comes with monitoring your mixes; to touch up if your pitch is slightly off and it starts to slip. when you push the record or slow it down or use the pitch slide it is much more noticable if you arent careful. that being said, you can be more precise with a turntable when beat matching because the cdjs only have incrimants(sp?) of .00 percent and on a turn table you can make really miniscule adjustments to have it matched perfectly........ imo anyway
                      www.boodang.com
                      -------------------------

Comment

• Terry
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by geoffgulley
                        Turntables....... The CDJ's are static but there are all kinds of factors with turntables... their setup, cartridges, brand etc... What works setup wise with one dj with one turntable might not suit another dj, which is generally why dj's carry their own cartridges/needles. I remember the first time I spun Qool at Minna. I didn't have my own cartridges, the decks had trackmasters on them and I was used to Ortofons. I just could not get the records to que at all... skipped all over the frickin place. (That and the dj setup hung from the ceiling and swayed... and people danced on the stage and would bump it...) What you see with a CDJ is what you get.... No different brands, tonearms, needles, slipmats etc....

i doubt that was from the cartridges. well it could be, but then every dj there would have a problem queing. i would say it would be the height setting on the tonearm
                        www.boodang.com

Comment

• geoffgulley
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                          i doubt that was from the cartridges. well it could be, but then every dj there would have a problem queing. i would say it would be the height setting on the tonearm
                          Nope, it was the cartridges... My friend and fellow dj Scott Carrelli gave me his Ortofons that night and all was fine. I remember buying trackmasters for my old club a year or so before that gig and ended up taking them back. Also, in response to Terry, another thing about turntables is the pitch adjust itself. Anyone who's used Technics knows they can fluctuate wildly between decks. You hop on an older 1200 and get the pitch adjust near the notch at center and... well, "precise" is not a word I'd use. If you've spun on them you'll know what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Terry
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2004

oh ok, i hate when they have shitty cartridges at clubs/parties. definately a good idea to bring your own. you are right about older techs. i have an mk 5 and an m5g so they are always bang on. all in all though, i prefer cd players. the music is cheaper and they are easier to use
                            www.boodang.com

Comment

• BureOne
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

Well, I've had my Techniques for quite some time now. A bunch of records and I still purchase every month.

I would think mixing with cdj's would be more difficult, at least for me.

I love it how you can see the music / track with the vinyl. You can see the grooves and estimate about how much time you got left on the vinyl.

With mp3's, all you have are numbers for the time of the track. How does that work for you all. Does the time of the track go backwards; forwards, etc.

Comment

Working...