X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobbyJassi
    Getting Somewhere
    • Nov 2005

Wireless net connection

i dont know to much about this sort of stuff, but is wireless adsl - 2mb / 8mb slower than having it setup the normal way? we're having two comps and a laptop at my house connected to the net via wireless. i use beatport daily and im worried if i go wireless i wont get a decent download speed. I.T bods your advice please...

Thanks

Bobby
    I live for the look on your face....
  • boombulakis
    Fresh Peossy
    • Sep 2005

Re: Wireless net connection

dl/ul speed shouldn't change because of the wifi
    Pretty chicks fart too

Comment

• BobbyJassi
      Getting Somewhere
      • Nov 2005

cheers bud...

Comment

• dawnx
        The Donator
        • Jun 2004

We've just been watching a programme about wireless conection. If you don't have protection on anyone with a lap top can stand outside your house and tap into your files. It was quite scarey what with all the fraud that's going on in the world . Luckily we can't afford a lap top so we haven't got wirless connection, just make sure you're protection is on.

Jesus I sound like my mother (make sure you're protected) he he!

Comment

• BobbyJassi
          Getting Somewhere
          • Nov 2005

Hi mate, yeah i read about this earlier on. seems its getting quite common people running there net off other peoples connection. i decided to go with this setup, was recommended by a mate.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&pro duct_uid=94178
          To protect your data and privacy, the Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway features an advanced firewall to keep Internet intruders and attackers out.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=15239962055&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X 292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45602
          two these.

i think that should do the job?

Comment

• FM
            Wooooooo!
            • Jun 2004

in many routers nowadays, you can also setup a unique wireless encryption key which are like passwords...you then plug those keys into said computers on your network through the network setups. Should be enough protection right there; I mean who's really gonna stand there and try to scan through to find your key? (as they are 40 or 64-bit hexadecimal)...

For me personally, I live on a single dead-end street well outside of any real busy traffic, so my protection is fairly low...obviously if you're in a much higher traffic area or city, it's good to be aware just in case.

The only way your speeds may be altered/slowed at times on a wireless network is if other units utilize the same frequency (cordless phones used to be notorious for this), or if your house is huge and you're well on the opposite end of where your router is, etc. These problems though aren't on a regular basis and mileage will vary from setup to setup.
            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
            Facebook!
            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• shan
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

its so handy when your travelling around though with a laptop. Any city you hit these days your guaranteed you will have numerous WAPS to choose from to get connected so I say to you that are going to secure them. DON'T for bums like me

Comment

• TomTom
                Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
                • May 2002

As nobody seems to care, I'll lock further PC threads without further notice. We have a Forum for technical non music related questions so PLEASE use it.

www.mercuryengine.com

Comment

Working...