• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evangelion
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: A little perspective on Iran

Originally posted by sammwalk
    Well, in strongly Islamic countries, Muslims are not surrounded by free thinkers who are constantly questioning religion like we are here in the US, Europe, etc. Since there is little plurality of religion in these countries (or if there is, it doesn't matter because the government is religiously controlled), alternatives are non-existent. The encouragement to make up one's own mind is a feature of western society (rugged individualism), not all societies, especially not religious ones where people are systematically kept in the dark to be controlled.
    Good points. I just find it hard to believe that in an entire region of the world, that there is not at least a small group of people who are sick of blindly following this way of life. Someone draws a cartoon of their "prophet" and the way to deal with it is to riot and kill people?? Is there even any thought involved in that reaction?? No. Just a bunch of sheep gladly eating what's been shovled to them.

War detractors will say the same thing about Americans and the war propaganda that we have all suposedly been "brainwashed" by, but I don't see Americans rioting and killing each other over things like that "how to be a suicide bomber" cartoon in that other thread.

Comment

• sammwalk
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by evangelion
      Good points. I just find it hard to believe that in an entire region of the world, that there is not at least a small group of people who are sick of blindly following this way of life. Someone draws a cartoon of their "prophet" and the way to deal with it is to riot and kill people?? Is there even any thought involved in that reaction?? No.
      As I understand it, it is only small groups of people causing violent protests. In addition, there are those protesting non-violently, and their numbers are far greater.

Remember also that some of the deaths resulted from the Afghan police trying to contain the violence.

It's an incredibly immature conflict. The most embarassing thing for me to witness is the so called "answer" by Ahmadinejad and others...not anti-Danish cartoons, but anti-Israel. How original, you hate Israel and the US. Give me a break. These protesters strike me as a children throwing temper tantrums, angry at everything, everyone. Take it out on us, because it's our fault. Good logic, morons.

Originally posted by evangelion
      Just a bunch of sheep gladly eating what's been shovled to them.
      We are the same, only we eat from a bigger shovel. Our opinion is shaped by our news media, who can be said only to be deceiving us (intentionally or not) to a lesser degree. Tough to form an educated viewpoint when unbiased and reliable information is difficult to obtain or verify.

I think we are actually witnessing the decline of our nation as a superpower. Chickens have come home to roost.

Comment

• evangelion
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

How original, you hate Israel and the US. Give me a break. These protesters strike me as a children throwing temper tantrums, angry at everything, everyone. Take it out on us, because it's our fault. Good logic, morons.
        Isn't everything

I think we are actually witnessing the decline of our nation as a superpower.
        Good god, I hope not. What's next after that??

Comment

• sammwalk
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

maybe those words are a little too strong...still, we aren't who we used to be, that's for sure. lost our balls, we did. happens when we can't firmly delineate the enemy, because too many people sympathetic to the enemy are part of the political process. and by sympathetic I mean merely the same race, religion, etc. too many people afraid of demonizing muslims. I'm not saying this is a healthy attitude, but the country needs to be solid if we're to end islamic terrorism. too many people in this country move here, call themselves American, but still have loyalties to their motherland. I think that has to stop. you live here now, act like it. support American interests abroad, not your motherlands'.

and certainly don't take me to be supporting Bush on this...I think he's incompetent. maybe they want to do the right thing; they just don't have the brains to pull it off.

look, no offense everyone, but terrorism isn't going to stop until not just fundy but even moderate muslims are out of power in the ME. gotta break the cycle.

of course, gettting off oil would certainly help. but then there's Israel, so, in fact, it wouldn't, when you really think about it. US support of Israel is the real problem, not oil. and that's not going to change, nor am I arguing that it should. but somethings gotta give.

somethings going to give.

Comment

• ep3
            Fresh Peossy
            • Feb 2006

And here is a little more perspective as to why we (the US) might be up in arms about Iran besides the nuclear issue. Interesting read.

Comment

• thesightless
              Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
              • Jun 2004

ill put some perpsective on this.

the leader is a former hostage taker. now he runs a country, is silently making nukes while telling the world he isnt, is saying he is only going for power, but yet, for some reason is hiding it from everyone, has openly called to arms an entire religion to destroy another, and called for the destruction of a few countries, and has already accomplished what took saddam 15 years to do. he has kicked out foreign media outlets, nationalized his own, re-implemented the laws against women, homosexuals, and does this all why saying ""try to stop me, and ill show you how violent my people can be""

yeah, that is some perspective.
              your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
              download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• evangelion
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Yeah, and we're in Iraq dicking around when this guy is making much bigger threats and Saddam has been captured years ago. Next stop, Iran.

Comment

• dig72
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Nov 2004

look, no offense everyone, but terrorism isn't going to stop until not just fundy but even moderate muslims are out of power in the ME. gotta break the cycle.

Let me get this straight. Israel can have a Jewish leader, US can have a Christian leader but a Muslim country can't have a Muslim leader?

Is this what you're saying.
                  “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”
                  Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

• dig72
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                    ill put some perpsective on this.

the leader is a former hostage taker. now he runs a country, is silently making nukes while telling the world he isnt, is saying he is only going for power, but yet, for some reason is hiding it from everyone, has openly called to arms an entire religion to destroy another, and called for the destruction of a few countries, and has already accomplished what took saddam 15 years to do. he has kicked out foreign media outlets, nationalized his own, re-implemented the laws against women, homosexuals, and does this all why saying ""try to stop me, and ill show you how violent my people can be""

yeah, that is some perspective.

Pretty big statements to make don't you think?

Former hostage taker? Has this been proven?

Silently making nukes? Has this also been proven?
                    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.”
                    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

• runningman
                      Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                      • Jun 2004

yes.. to all

Comment

• Leha
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

My opinion - big bomb to Iran if they will not agree with russian offer
                        but who will do it?

Comment

• thesightless
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by dig72
                          Pretty big statements to make don't you think?

Former hostage taker? Has this been proven?

Silently making nukes? Has this also been proven?
                          well with your thinking, we wont know until he uses the nukes, and regarding the hostage taking, there are pics that damn well show its him, he denies it, every hostage says its him. he was one of the embassy attackers.

so until something blows up, we just have to wait to see what they were doing>? why isnt he allowing the IAEA to inspect and monitor?

Comment

• thesightless
                            • Jun 2004

Comment

• Leha
                              Addiction started
                              • Jun 2004

Come on guys, here is nothing to discuss

This is the only one solution of "iran's problem"

Comment

• Jenks
                                I'm kind of a big deal.
                                • Jun 2004

That's a pretty cool picture! It's also a very bad idea regarding Iran. I hear this alot, "Military strikes on Iran!!!" Come on people, bombing is not a serious option. At best a strike would set Iran back a bit, but it would also inflame public opinion there and unify the nation against the west and only add to their determination to go nuclear. Iran has 3 times the population of Iraq, and they're much more a proud country than Iraq. Iran could retaliate easily, especially with all those troops right next door sitting in Iraq. And then where are we? in a lot worse situation than we've got now.

Comment

Working...