X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: Dear Sasha, (review 2/4/06 DC)

S&D are not the be all and end all I'm afraid, don't take it so seriously. It's music that's all - there are enough quality tracks out there by enough quality dj's to not worry about it.

It gets so inane hearing people slating him all the time, why do they feel the need to criticise all the time? Just because it's 'Sasha' that's probably why.

I guarantee you'll all be loving him and digweed again some time soon, he has always changed his style and 'educated' the dance masses IMO.

I kept hearing all the bad vibes and reviews about him in 2005, and I hadn't heard a sasha set in about 2 years - then I heard his EM from Maida vale, thinking it would be garbage according to the recent reviews. Instead I found it to be one of the greatest sets I've ever heard on the radio.

Comment

• qwerty2222
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

sorry to hear that, but still, sasha plays the best music for my ears

Comment

• chemicalbeavis
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by GregWhelan
        S&D are not the be all and end all I'm afraid, don't take it so seriously. It's music that's all - there are enough quality tracks out there by enough quality dj's to not worry about it.

It gets so inane hearing people slating him all the time, why do they feel the need to criticise all the time? Just because it's 'Sasha' that's probably why.

I guarantee you'll all be loving him and digweed again some time soon, he has always changed his style and 'educated' the dance masses IMO.

I kept hearing all the bad vibes and reviews about him in 2005, and I hadn't heard a sasha set in about 2 years - then I heard his EM from Maida vale, thinking it would be garbage according to the recent reviews. Instead I found it to be one of the greatest sets I've ever heard on the radio.

exactly, i've been hearing peeps slating Sasha for years, in the ealy 90's "he's just a boring garage DJ" or playing "stop/start sets" then in the late 90's he's a trance DJ", "Sasha's shit" "Sasha isn't what he used to be" funny how people who say that probably don't even know what he used to be, it's just a "cool" thing for these kids to slate Sasha, not realising he's done more for the scene and given careers to most other DJ's that they think it's cool to big up, (Digweed for instance?) than any other figure in modern dance music. Still an innovator and still Number 1.

Comment

• simonr
          Transitionator
          • Jun 2004

A classic post - I'll reserve judgement until Mr Coe finally graces the UK with a performance. I just wish he and John would bite the bullet and crack the acetates out of deep storage. That Delta Heavy DVd had me pining for better times. The point for me is that if the latest productions are so poor, why not go back to the good old stuff and mic things up ?
          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Kobe
            I wish I had an interesting User title
            • Jun 2004

Orlando Feb 05, and Essential Mix May 05 are two of the best sets he's ever done
            He rocked my world in Montreal June of 05
            His set from Home Sydney on Annie Nightingale was great.

Has he fallen off? I guess if you guys say so....

Too much bitching around here... If you don't like something, fuck off and find something you do like, and then when you find it, post something POSITIVE about it, instead of something negative.

Example:
            Frisky just hosted 6 hours of Turkish up-and-coming DJs, there were 6 posts in the thread for it in GYY. The thread bitching about Sasha has reached 2 pages in less than an hour.

Fucking move on and show support to the rest of the vast world of music.

*Edit: sorry for the rant! <deep breath> *phew* Ah, that feels better
            Beats are my crack.

Comment

• GregWhelan
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Good point Kobe - hopefully people will take it on board. I try to broaden my musical horizons, and if i don't like a particular set I will either not comment on it or try to constructively criticize if thats possible.

Since i've decided to give things a try other than prog I've been pleasantly surprised by some stellar sets from Luke Morrison, Yunus, Yvel & tristan, Micah, Digital Witchcraft, Mirel Jarca and DJ OlliS.

chem - good point about people saying 'he's not what he used to be' when they prob don't know what he used to be like anyway! I hadn't thought about it like that!

Comment

• Kobe
                • Jun 2004

There is a great Yvel & Tistan set floating around in P&R right now
                Beats are my crack.

Comment

• DancingQueen
                  AVB FanClub | President
                  • Oct 2005

well Sasha played here with Lawler in the summer and blew Toronto away....awesome set, and I have also seen him 3 other times and he has never disappointed.

A dj is allowed an off night now and then......they are human too (shocking I know)
                  sigpic
                  RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                  RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• jarble187
                    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by devon
                    Dear Sasha,
                    Now it just seems all you want to do is play on that fucking computer of yours and not notice what's going on.
                    This is a fact....Daveman gave me the same review from the night a Crobar. Said Sasha didnt look at the crowd once, had his face buried in the monitor the whole night. Ive been a big fan for many years, but who wants to pay $30 to see that?
                    Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• anonin
                      Juvenile Delinquent
                      • Oct 2005

you all are crazy.

Comment

• ZendoBro
                        Mr. Roboto
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jarble187
                        This is a fact....Daveman gave me the same review from the night a Crobar. Said Sasha didnt look at the crowd once, had his face buried in the monitor the whole night. Ive been a big fan for many years, but who wants to pay $30 to see that?
                        What? A DJ completely focused on what they're doing? Say like Digweed or PVD? That's insane!
                        I am no cyberwhore...
                        http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• minneec
                          Getting warmed up
                          • Dec 2004

sad to hear dc didn't go so well either. i really enjoy sasha's music and i have heard his sets through the years, but last friday at crobar, though each song was mixed really well, overall it was just all over the place. i had hoped it was an off night...

Comment

• floridaorange
                            I'm merely a humble butler
                            • Dec 2005

I grew up in Orlando (anyone heard of club Firestone?) and I would love it if someone *(Jules perhaps?) could upload this epic set by Sasha that everyone keeps making reference to. Thanks very much

LMAO Devin

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Kinetic
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

When you say he never looked at the dancefloor, maybe you wanted him to act like this guy?

Anyway, it says in the title that this was a review...to me it just sounded like bitchin? without any substance or explanation of the causes.

I was gonna go on a long rant about how sick I am of people wasting time about topics like "why do my favourite DJ?s all play electro?", "why does Sasha mix on a computer and doesn?t play GU Ibiza instead of this new crap?", "what happened to Digweed, he doesn?t play the same stuff anymore?"m but Kobe stole my words, so I?ll spare you my anger.

Instead, I?ll give you a piece of advice : if you don?t like it, move the fuck on and go find and support new talent. Don?t expect music to be spoonfed to you for life. If you really love music, you?ll dedicate yourself to finding something that tickles your fancy, and BTW, try to buy some stuff instead of just downloading it for free.

I?m outta here.
                              "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                              http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• Kobe
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange

LMAO Devin
                                I was about to, but now I'm wondering why you want to hear it? LYAO??
                                Beats are my crack.

Comment

Working...