• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Localizer
    Platinum Poster
    • Jul 2004

Re: More cartoon protests

Originally posted by evangelion
    Really?? And that would just solve everything, wouldn't it.

So them them rioting and calling for people to be put to death over a cartoon is helping them to hate us?? I don't really see how something they are doing, which we have nothing to do with, is causing them to hate us. Care to clarify that statement??
    It would solve more than negating the sensitivity and criticality of this time. Unfortunately, it's Europe/North America vs. them. They see us as just one and nothing else. It's easy for us to see it that way, but not easy for them.
    Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
    -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Localizer
      Platinum Poster
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Yao
      Local, I have to disagree with this statement partially: a lot of the hatred against the West has been caused by it's mingling in Middle-Eastern affairs, but this is something on a different level. This is about simple cartoons that actually don't mean much to many Western people...it's the culture here mate. Muslims have a right to not like it, but that reaction of protests is really overdone IMO. Suddenly all we can be is evil, I have Muslims on a Dutch forumboard accusing us of everything that is filthy and wrong, and totally ignoring their own brutal actions.

That is why to me these protests seem so out of place...they just don't seem genuine, but more orchestrated to me.
      Yao, you know who I am right? lol. Why would you insult a completely fundamentalist religion known for radical activities? Furthermore, why would you use freedom of the press and speech for the author's lack of knowledge? This was only started due to the widespread use of that cartoon in Europe. And according to their holy book, no visual depictions are allowed. I mean, would you throw chum (shark bait) off the boat next to a bunch of surfers? The over-protesting are in parts of the world where they can't see the other side of the picture, much like we have here in the states when every redneck wants to throw nukes on the middle east. And now here you all are crying that they're going too far. Well, imo, you should have seen this coming knowing their past history and actions....and unfortunately, they'll pin it on anyone that has any representation with the word 'West'.
      Last edited by Localizer; February 16, 2006, 01:44:37 AM.
      -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• evangelion
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
        Local, I have to disagree with this statement partially: a lot of the hatred against the West has been caused by it's mingling in Middle-Eastern affairs, but this is something on a different level. This is about simple cartoons that actually don't mean much to many Western people...it's the culture here mate. Muslims have a right to not like it, but that reaction of protests is really overdone IMO. Suddenly all we can be is evil, I have Muslims on a Dutch forumboard accusing us of everything that is filthy and wrong, and totally ignoring their own brutal actions.

That is why to me these protests seem so out of place...they just don't seem genuine, but more orchestrated to me.
        I never though the day would come that we would see something totally eye to eye, Yao.

Are the planets aligned??

Comment

• runningman
          Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Localizer
          Yao, you know who I am right? lol. Why would you insult a completely fundamentalist religion known for radical activities? Furthermore, why would you use freedom of the press and speech for the author's lack of knowledge? This was only started due to the widespread use of that cartoon in Europe. And according to their holy book, no visual depictions are allowed. I mean, would you throw chum (shark bait) off the boat next to a bunch of surfers? The over-protesting are in parts of the world where they can't see the other side of the picture, much like we have here in the states when every redneck wants to throw nukes on the middle east. And now here you all are crying that they're going to far. Well, imo, you should have seen this coming knowing their past history and actions....and unfortunately, they'll pin it on anyone that has any representation with the word 'West'.
          I can't believe that you would try to spin this. We are supposed to know that they are going to be stupid and burn buildings down and ask for the head of the cartoonist because they aren't as educated?? So what do we do?? Drop books for them to read so they can come to a rational point of view??
          And comparing two religions that have been fighting for thousands of years to "shark bait and surfers" is stupid IMO.. So your tryin to say we provoked the fight? No we didn't burn down their embassies and call for the death of all muslims.. they are saying that about us!! so take your head out of your ass and be quiet until you have something useful to say..

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

seriously, what would happen if jews and christians walked into NYC and ottowa on a daily basis, and tried to burn down the embassies of the middle eastern countries, then went on to attack every pakistani, afghani, and egyptian restaurant,.....

oh yeah. we'd be arrested and the world woudl brand us racist, closed mined violent criminals.
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Localizer
              Platinum Poster
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by runningman
              I can't believe that you would try to spin this. We are supposed to know that they are going to be stupid and burn buildings down and ask for the head of the cartoonist because they aren't as educated?? So what do we do?? Drop books for them to read so they can come to a rational point of view??
              And comparing two religions that have been fighting for thousands of years to "shark bait and surfers" is stupid IMO.. So your tryin to say we provoked the fight? No we didn't burn down their embassies and call for the death of all muslims.. they are saying that about us!! so take your head out of your ass and be quiet until you have something useful to say..
              I've had a lot of useful information to lay out for you. It's not my fault you can't interpret it correctly. No where did I mention any religious comparisons. Nor have I tried to spin this. I've merely pointed at you and other peoples impulsive actions as promoting more fervor then needed. I've made it clear that Europe manipulated freedom of the press without taking into account communitarianism and utilitarianism. I don't agree with the rioting, I don't agree with the death threats that were made, and I don't agree with the burning down of embassies. Nor do I think it makes them look good at all. But it was something that should have been expected in time of war, and that's the point you're missing. So why don't you go play with some glowsticks and enjoy some laser shows.

Originally posted by thesightless
              seriously, what would happen if jews and christians walked into NYC and ottowa on a daily basis, and tried to burn down the embassies of the middle eastern countries, then went on to attack every pakistani, afghani, and egyptian restaurant,.....

oh yeah. we'd be arrested and the world woudl brand us racist, closed mined violent criminals.

We're better than that of course, and obviously you and I both know it. However, they view us a hell of a lot differently than you and I view them. We've already been branded as racists and that shouldn't be anything new.
              -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• thesightless
                • Jun 2004

.Cheap Shot, Backstab, Gouge, Pwn.
                someone plays a rogue huh.

how about , corruption, agony, fear, shadow bolt, death coil, shadow bolt, OWN>

but i do disagree with your views on this one. but eh, it is your opinion, im just in the boat of how in the world does a society continually say they are about peace, but do the exact same opposite to anything that disagrees with them. no society since the era of the moors and nordic tribes acts so violently.

Comment

• Localizer
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jul 2004

someone plays a rogue huh.

how about , corruption, agony, fear, shadow bolt, death coil, shadow bolt, OWN>

but i do disagree with your views on this one. but eh, it is your opinion, im just in the boat of how in the world does a society continually say they are about peace, but do the exact same opposite to anything that disagrees with them. no society since the era of the moors and nordic tribes acts so violently.
                  warlock ftw!
                  I stopped playing for the time being. They don't need any more of my money.

There are 1 billion muslims in the world. Conservatively, 1-2% hate us and are for destroying our way of life. That's 10-20 million, and that's the 10-20 million we see only on television. And in all honesty, it works the same way for us. We have 10-20 million, maybe more, that are hellbent on destroying the middle east. Some might mistake me for a liberal, but I'm not, I'm a moderate and I take points from both sides. The danger lies within republicans and democrats.
                  -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• rhipkin
                    Getting warmed up
                    • Jun 2004

10 - 20 million that want to destroy the West - that's scary.....

Localizer, I know where you coming from and as I said earlier I have always preached understanding and acceptance. But even you must agree that at some point you need to leave that on the side of the road for abit and stand up and voice your own dissapproval.

Muslims are baying for blood because a depiction of Mohammed was drawn and as a result is an insult to Mohammed and Islam as a whole - well we can't be expected to all know that, we are not Muslim, we do not abide by THEIR laws or rules. Admittedly (and EVERYONE on here agrees) that maybe it was wrong and ignorant of the Norwegian newspaper to potray those images.

Whats wrong with peaceful demonstration, the world would have sympathised with them alot better that way. Instead they go on a rampage while demanding respect from us. How can you take them seriously? How can you expect the "West" to understand and accept when they have no intention of doing the same. That is clear to see in their reactions. We have educated (as in how the west works) Muslims in the "West" who are running around with posters with:

"Europe your 9/11 is coming!!"
                    "Behead those who insult our Prophet!!"
                    "Kill those who demean our Prophet!!"

These are people who have lived and been exposed to Western civilization, they know how we operate yet when the time comes they show us their true side - and that is filled with hate spech, death threats and other comments that paramount to terrorism.

I hate to generalise but seriously with 10 - 20 million Muslims calling for another 9/11 the figures are seriously against them...... and I do not like that.

When 9/11 happened, Muslim's around the world begged the "Western" world to not generalise and that not all Muslims were like that - I'm afraid that number has quickly diminished as more and more Muslims around the world raise their fists and swords at anything Western....

Understanding, education and acceptance MUST come from both sides for it to work. I've sat for hours debating this issue with Muslims in this country and the consensus is the same - "WE must understand where they coming from..." But I'm afraid the same is not extended to us....

Peace
                    http://emp.onbeat.net/frame.htm

Comment

• rhipkin
                      Getting warmed up
                      • Jun 2004

Just to put a little humour on a serious discussion:

"15000 athiests rioted in London after a blank sheet of paper was found on a cartoonist's desk yesterday."

Comment

• runningman
                        Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                        • Jun 2004

k local i'm sorry i snapped on you a bit.. but I really disagree with the way that your seeing this one.. Rhipkin you said it perfectly (IMO).. That is a scary thought that 20 million are doing this.

Comment

• Localizer
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by rhipkin
                          10 - 20 million that want to destroy the West - that's scary.....

Localizer, I know where you coming from and as I said earlier I have always preached understanding and acceptance. But even you must agree that at some point you need to leave that on the side of the road for abit and stand up and voice your own dissapproval.

Muslims are baying for blood because a depiction of Mohammed was drawn and as a result is an insult to Mohammed and Islam as a whole - well we can't be expected to all know that, we are not Muslim, we do not abide by THEIR laws or rules. Admittedly (and EVERYONE on here agrees) that maybe it was wrong and ignorant of the Norwegian newspaper to potray those images.

Whats wrong with peaceful demonstration, the world would have sympathised with them alot better that way. Instead they go on a rampage while demanding respect from us. How can you take them seriously? How can you expect the "West" to understand and accept when they have no intention of doing the same. That is clear to see in their reactions. We have educated (as in how the west works) Muslims in the "West" who are running around with posters with:

"Europe your 9/11 is coming!!"
                          "Behead those who insult our Prophet!!"
                          "Kill those who demean our Prophet!!"

These are people who have lived and been exposed to Western civilization, they know how we operate yet when the time comes they show us their true side - and that is filled with hate spech, death threats and other comments that paramount to terrorism.

I hate to generalise but seriously with 10 - 20 million Muslims calling for another 9/11 the figures are seriously against them...... and I do not like that.

When 9/11 happened, Muslim's around the world begged the "Western" world to not generalise and that not all Muslims were like that - I'm afraid that number has quickly diminished as more and more Muslims around the world raise their fists and swords at anything Western....

Understanding, education and acceptance MUST come from both sides for it to work. I've sat for hours debating this issue with Muslims in this country and the consensus is the same - "WE must understand where they coming from..." But I'm afraid the same is not extended to us....

Peace
                          You're right, and believe me, I don't like putting up a defense for them. It's dirty, but at the same time, we should all know that the media abuses the privelage they have of freedom of speech and freedom of the press. And where I stand is not the degree of their reaction to the picture but of why Europe would be dumb enough to trigger an avalanche of hate. We know muslims to be fanatics so why does someone (such as the press) always feel the need to perpetuate?
                          -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• thesightless
                            • Jun 2004

. We know muslims to be fanatics so why does someone (such as the press) always feel the need to perpetuate?
                            to say we wont be controlled because they will get violent and threaten us. period. why cower and limit our freedoms becuase a foreign people dont appreciate or repsect our freedoms and desire us to cut our freedoms.

Comment

• Localizer
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jul 2004

to say we wont be controlled because they will get violent and threaten us. period. why cower and limit our freedoms becuase a foreign people dont appreciate or repsect our freedoms and desire us to cut our freedoms.
                              I guess we'll always have to live in a state of flux.
                              -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• rhipkin
                                Getting warmed up
                                • Jun 2004

You're right, and believe me, I don't like putting up a defense for them. It's dirty, but at the same time, we should all know that the media abuses the privelage they have of freedom of speech and freedom of the press. And where I stand is not the degree of their reaction to the picture but of why Europe would be dumb enough to trigger an avalanche of hate. We know muslims to be fanatics so why does someone (such as the press) always feel the need to perpetuate?
                                Trust me I'm battling with that one as well. To me I just don't see the need to add fuel to fire. I guess that is the whole point, I need to get information from both sides. The why? And the why not? Maybe the reasons still won't satisfy me and I'll be left in a perpetual state of wondering....lol....

Ah well sometimes the world just doesn't make sense??

Comment

Working...