X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BureOne
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Need new mixer

Yes, I've done the search function here but noticed what I found pertained more to specific wants of those individuals who posted.

With that, here a little summary. I've only had one mixer. STill works, bought back in 92 - 93?.. here's a link to it. It's almost identical.

Im a simple person. No need for the 1,000 knobs/switches. But would really like something a little better than what I have. The mixer I have is just for simple crossfading of tracks. It has nothing special. I would like something with a little more options.. like loops and maybe efx's

What would u all suggest.? Price is really not an option, but wouldnt want anything expensive. this is just a hobby.

Thanks for your time.

• rewing3
    I really don't care
    • Jun 2004

Re: Need new mixer

I can tell you what everyone will suggest to you. The Allen & Heath xone 92, the top mixer right.
    Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• geoffgulley
      Platinum Poster
      • Apr 2005

He's saying "not expensive". Yes, I'm an A & H whore... there's nothing better and you can beat me over the heads with your Pioneer's and it won't change my mind..ever. That being said if you want efx (flanger, echo etc... ) and don't want to layout a grand or more go find a used Pioneer DJM 500 or 600. Actually, you can find these new for well less than a grand as well. They sound good and are built well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Gemini, Numark, American Audio etc... Has it lasted you this long and served its purpose? Yes, but once you plug in something like an Allen and Heath or one of the high end Pioneers you will never, ever go back... It's that dramatic of a difference...
      "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• BureOne
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

xone 92..I think I've heard or read of that.. isnt that like "big time" for pro's and shit. Looking for something more "humble"..

Just wondering if anyone knows about where to get a good simple mixer at a fair price. I purchased my Gemini at Guitar Center. Gosh that was when I was in high school.

Comment

• BureOne
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by geoffgulley
          He's saying "not expensive". Yes, I'm an A & H whore... there's nothing better and you can beat me over the heads with your Pioneer's and it won't change my mine..ever. That being said if you want efx (flanger, echo etc... ) and don't want to layout a grand or more go find a used Pioneer DJM 500 or 600. Actually, you can find these new for well less than a grand as well. They sound good and are built well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Gemini, Numark, American Audio etc... Has it lasted you this long and served its purpose? Yes, but once you plug in something like an Allen and Heath or one of the high end Pioneers you will never, ever go back... It's that dramatic of a difference...
          Thx. Will look into that Pioneer DJM 500.

My Gemini has certainly served it's purpose. It puts out great sound and has been very durable. Nothing was broken off of it and everthing works 100%

Comment

• DJJEFFJONES
            Platinum Poster
            • Nov 2005

I have been doing some research I think the DJM - 600 is what I am going to go with. Would love an Allen and Heath but just not ready to spend the cash!
            http://www.idgafclothing.com

Comment

• BureOne
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Just finished reading what the djm 500 has to offer. I like everhting it said.. seems simple enough
              If anyone has anything to the contrary (Cons) of this piece of equipment and or experience, please advise.

thanks Geoff

Comment

• geoffgulley
                Platinum Poster
                • Apr 2005

BureOne.... also take a look at the new DJM-400... it's only two channels, has the same effects, a new 24 bit loop function that sync's with the bpm and costs only $549.99... I might check this out myself.

www.pssl.com

its on the front page

Comment

• Jenks
                  I'm kind of a big deal.
                  • Jun 2004

I've had the pioneer 500 since 99, and it works. It's also a piece of shit imo.

The FX are widely overused, and sound like toys. the 600 is an improvement, but i'd still stay clear of the 5 and 6 pioneer. Fine for home use i suppose the pioneers work, as i've gotten by, but especially with the 500, the cuts on the eqs are shit. Killing the bass means just taking the hit out ot it. It's still very much there. The sound isn't even close to what comes out of some of the othe rmixers in this price range.

For your money, NUO Ecler is where it's @. I've played on the Allen and Heaths a lot and the hype is right, they're sick ass mixers, and boy i'd love to have one at home. However, for that kind of money, AH is overkill for home use imo, especially considering the cost, when playing out is what it's all about.

Check out the NUO Ecler 4, and 5. They're certainly no AH, but not much is. For the $$, i can't think of anything that beats the NUOs at the moment.

Comment

• DJJEFFJONES
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Nov 2005

^^^ I'll look into that also Jenks... My big thing is when I drop the eq I don't want to hear it! Drives me nuts (currently using the djm-300 *crap also but got me started *

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DJJEFFJONES
                      My big thing is when I drop the eq I don't want to hear it!
                      Exactly.

The eqs on the 500 are some of the worst i've ever heard. I also have a Vestax 175 for my buddy's summer vacation house, bought it for under $200 off Ebay, and the eqs on that thing destroy the ones on the pioneer 5 and 6.

Comment

• geoffgulley
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Apr 2005

Come on Jeff.... life can't be all bad in your business, Go get an Xone..... and you can buy me a beer later.

Comment

• BureOne
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Since my current mixer has no eq thingy, what do u all mean by dropping the eq and still hearing it?

Comment

• DJJEFFJONES
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by geoffgulley
                            Come on Jeff.... life can't be all bad in your business, Go get an Xone..... and you can buy me a beer later.
                            BRILLIANT!!!!

I'm still secretly thinking about get the xone... Need a really good February!

Anyone need a loan???

Comment

• DJJEFFJONES
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BureOne
                              Since my current mixer has no eq thingy, what do u all mean by dropping the eq and still hearing it?
                              Meaning when you turn the knobs all the way down for your Highs mids and lows they completely turn off instead of still being able to make them out in the background.

The Xone and NUO Ecler 4, and 5 at the low end of the knob say "off" my DJM-300 shows the level at -26 Db

Comment

Working...