X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoffgulley
    Platinum Poster
    • Apr 2005

I think I have a virus... still.

Hmmm.... so I finally decide I've had enough of the AOL shit popping up at startup so I go to run msconfig and I get a lovely little box saying Windows can't find it. That's not good. So I run ad-aware, spybot, hijack this, ewido and find a nasty little bug (adware dot something) and delete it. I reboot and still can't get into msconfig. Run my virus software twice and it finds nothing. Run an online scan and nothing. I reboot again and still can't get into msconfig.... Any ideas out there? Obviously I have something but looking at my hijack this log nothing really pops out.... I can get into regedit but not msconfig as well so I'm a bit perplexed....
    "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

• feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: I think I have a virus... still.

Do a search in your Windows folder for msconfig? Maybe it got deleted.

If missing, you can easily download msconfig.exe from the net and put it in a system folder such as c:\windows or c:\windows\system or etc. Should work as per usual when you enter "msconfig" at the command prompt or run dialog.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• geoffgulley
      Platinum Poster
      • Apr 2005

thanks... why the hell didn't i think of that? anyway, it's there and i was able to access it. still worries me i can't get to it via "run" in the start menu but at least i have a work around now... cheers
      "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

That's really odd. If msconfig is in any of the system drives, it should be accessable via the run dialog. Try looking at your environment variables in in System Properties\Advanced. You can check which directories are pathed there. Maybe one of your system directories (where your msconfig is residing) has been removed.

Can't think of anything else.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• picklemonkey
          Double hoodie beer monster
          • Jun 2004

remember that msconfig isn't built into Win2000.

also remember http://mercuryengine.com

Comment

Working...