• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re: United Arab Emirates company to take over major U.S. ports

Originally posted by thesightless
    to me, it just seems like another oppurtunity for the democrats who are partisan to jump on a podium, and say ""look another thing the administration is doing wrong""
    The dems don't have a monopoly on questioning this move. Ridge came out earlier today calling for a more thorough investigation into the UAE company, and I gather that a number of republicans are looking for that as well. I think it is a legitimate point of inquiry, at least.

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
      The dems don't have a monopoly on questioning this move. Ridge came out earlier today calling for a more thorough investigation into the UAE company, and I gather that a number of republicans are looking for that as well. I think it is a legitimate point of inquiry, at least.
      yeah saw that after i posted.

one thought

""covering the republican asses for the next election and to show the right wingers we dont want foreigners involved.""

both sides kinda have BS cases unless the UAE company decides to go non union, restaff with middle eastern nationals and kick out the US coast guard, US customs, and local police forces........
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

In fact, Frist is calling for a stop to the deal:

You don't get too much more republican than Bill Frist. Not a partisan issue.

Comment

• liquidsky
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

Bush is out of his freakin' mind with this one

Comment

• superdave
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Both Republicans and Democrats are against this and want the deal reviewed or stopped. I don't really see partisan politics happening too much on this issue. Mostly it's Congress members of both parties working together because its such a bad idea on its face value.

I still haven't heard Bush's side of the story yet, but the UAE managing ports sounds bad no matter how you spin it. Anyone have a link or story about why Bush is ok with this move?
            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• thesightless
              • Jun 2004

the thing ill say about this.

if microsoft is bought out tomorrow by the crown prince, does every single gov't computer need to be shut off

Comment

• neoee
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

^^^^ Your earlier post makes perfect sense. You actually changed my mind about a topic. Port authorities will be the ones responsible for inspections of incoming containers. However your MS analogy is pretty bad. With that logic your saying we should go back and inspect every item shipped before the company take over.

As a side note though, every govt. computer running Microsoft OS SHOULD be shut down simply because of all the security holes. But even the govt. is somewhat aware of that. You may remember this from a while ago:

US Government warns against Internet Explorer
                "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• thesightless
                  • Jun 2004

oh plz. you got my point.

Comment

• anonin
                    Juvenile Delinquent
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by miketpoto
                    Hmmmmm.... sneaking a weapon in is absurd?

Do you know how small that weapon can be? Do you know how big ships are? Do you know that ships come into port every day and many times a day? Do you know that they arent searched for security purposes before leaving wherever they are coming in from? Don't you think it might be a fuck of a lot easier to sneak something into one of those than to coordinate the hijacking of 4 planes by 22 people and having them trained to pilot huge fucking airplanes with precision directly into the bullseye of their targets? (successfully I might remind you)

think about that for half a second
                    no one is sneaking in any weapons of mass destruction, dont let the bush co. tell you otherwise.

Comment

• thesightless
                      • Jun 2004

dude...............

seriously, if they are going to try to get a WMD into our ports, there is nothing we can do to stop them, outside of patrolling every single port in the world. what these guys do is prevent it from getting off the boat and out of customs. all they have to do is put it on a ship, and blow the bomb, release the gas once they hit the pier.

Comment

• miketpoto
                        Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by anonin
                        no one is sneaking in any weapons of mass destruction, dont let the bush co. tell you otherwise.
                        As someone who watched september 11th happen first hand, saw the towers fall from midtown and felt the rumble of it all, I have to say I disagree somewhat.

A- Bush isnt trying to say that anyone is sneaking in WMD, his admin is the one that approved this.

B- If it happens it happens, oh well, but lets not roll out the red carpet annd make ourselves look even more like hypocritical jackasses...

C- I dont let the Bush administration tell me jack shit.

Comment

• thesightless
                          • Jun 2004

oh , i let them tell me whatever they want to. then i laugh. usually a lot.

Comment

• toasty
                            Sir Toastiness
                            • Jun 2004

Well, this is interesting. Looks like Bush himself didn't know shit about the deal he's been defending until after it was approved:

Comment

• toasty
                              Sir Toastiness
                              • Jun 2004

^^ this shocks the conscience, in my opinion. Am I naive to think that Bush should have personally had some input into this? I mean, I realize that he isn't the guy that really makes all of the decisions and doesn't get into a lot of the day-to-day, but for him to not even be aware of something like this is stunning.

I dunno. Maybe it's just another straw laid on the broken back of a camel.

Comment

• anonin
                                Juvenile Delinquent
                                • Oct 2005

bush is making so much money off this whole deal its not even funny.

Comment

Working...