X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nbpgt
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

homebrew beer.....

i may be able to inherit almost a complete setup to make my own. is the finished product worth the time spent & the slight hassle invovled with the adventure.? and in your opinion, is homemade better tasting than commercially available of similar flavor? i have a supply shop nearby, so i wouldnt have to shop online.

so have you either
    A) have your own set up & occasionally brew your own?

B) have a friend who you have sampled their nectar.?
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: homebrew beer.....

B) have a friend who brews a LOT. His garage has huge steel vats. He's a chemical engineer and takes this stuff to heart. His beer is really good.

I'd love to brew beer. But considering i'm selling my house, and we just bought a loft...that plan is on hold for the forseeable future. And i've not had any beer from one of those one barrel beer in a box kits, but i imagine it's gotta suck.

Comment

• nbpgt
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

well sounds like your buddy has a setup. i may get & use a few 5-6 gallon glasswares for the process. i dont dare go to the 1 plastic barrel setup. thanks.

Comment

• rewing3
        I really don't care
        • Jun 2004

Do it. It is worh the time and effort. My buddy makes homebrews and they are better then store bought beer. If you have the time then do it.
        Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

With one notable exception -- a guy who had a great set-up and really put a lot of effort into it -- every homebrewed beer I've ever had has tasted like ass. If you're going to go for it, please don't half-ass it and talk yourself into believing that it's good just because you brewed it. If you've ever sat down and sampled a buddy's wretched beer when you're obligated to pretend it tastes fantastic and isn't rendering you temporarily blind from the alcohol content, you'll know what I'm talking about.

That said, I'd love to have the opportunity to give it a go and I'd encourage you to go for it -- but you've got keep your ego in check and realize that it's probably going to take a few tries before you start brewing anything that you'd prefer to drink over a commercially available beer.

my $.02

Comment

• thesightless
            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
            • Jun 2004

go for it. little effort, large reward.

search around for brewing clubs too, those guys know what to do and hold events.

i have clients that do this and every year i get some sick beers. i just got a mesquite stout that is sillly good.
            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

Toasty...i have to get you some of my friend's beer. i think you might know him.

btw, i'm with ya on the homemade beer thing...i've tasted more horrible beers brewed at home than ones i can give a compliment to with a straight face.

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                Toasty...i have to get you some of my friend's beer. i think you might know him.
                I was wondering if we were talking about the same guy. Is it that dude in Columbia, lived with a bunch of med students, I think? Matt, perhaps? That guy could brew a beer.

Comment

• Lrn
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jan 2005

if you home brew get a get and force c02 into it, cuts half the time becasue your not bottleing and waiting for carbination. everyone shoudl check out this site, there beer is really good and organic http://www.breworganic.com/ check out there one sale kits, theres a new one every month

Comment

• nbpgt
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

thanks, i would hope i could swollow my pride & chunk a batch if it went sour. the shop near me, the guys are really knowledgeable & willing to help. ima check that site.

Comment

• Balanc3
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

I've had some pretty good homebrew beer. My dad made some of the best bombers, but we would often frequent some of the homebrew stores in Boulder. Not sure if many are still open, but you throw everything in a kettle and in a week you've got a keg.

1) It's hard to and pricy to get a good homebrew kit, 2) and malt on the stove is a nasty mess.
                      JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• algy
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

Did you ever get that kit brewing??

Homebrew is the best for making cheap quality beer, aside from the start-up cost, you can brew 5 gallon (~5 x 12packs) for $25-$35 depending on the batch and gravity you are trying to acheive. Most batches are ready for consumption in 6wks after brew day, and 4wks if you have keg kit.

Here is my kit at work, from Left to Right (Patersbier in primary, Patersbier in secondary and Apfelwein in secondary)

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg
                        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                        "Too much love making, makes for poor match play." - Algy

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by algy
                          Here is my kit at work.....
                          wtf
                          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                          Originally posted by ace_dl
                          Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• diegoff
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

a very close friend of mine makes his own beer... itīs delicious, much much much better than the beers toy can buy in any store. Heīs specialty is wheat beer. Last year he made 40 liters... I think I drank like 10 of them... the finished product is worth the time and money you spend there. But get info about the products involved in the process, and the times of each step. He always tell me how important is to, i.e., use the exact amount of each element involved... good luck!!!! and cheers
                            also: he has a very nice kit... the copper tanks where you give heat to the mix, and the little machine to bottle the beer (he puts the beer inside, the machine puts the top).
                            Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                              Anyone have Styx livesets?
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by algy
                              Did you ever get that kit brewing??
                              nice 3 year follow Algy!

good to see u on [MS] again
                              ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

Working...