X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonin
    Juvenile Delinquent
    • Oct 2005

java programming help needed...

I have to write a java program for my class in uni, where the program is supposed to prompt the user to enter a 6 - letter word, then once that is done it has to print one or two sentences depending on whether the word has certain properties, for example:

Affhin - the output would be : The letters Affhin are in ascending order.

zxvrda - the output would be : The letters zxvrda are in descending order. The letters zxvrda are all lowercase.

xxXxx - the output would be : the letters in xxXxx are all the same.

QWERTY - the output would be : The letters QWERTY are all uppercase.

but if the user entered QwertY - the output would be : There is nothing special about this word.

so far i've written this

import java.util.Scanner;

public class program
    {
    public static void main (String[] args)
    {
    String Word;
    Char L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, L6
    Scanner keyboard = new Scanner (System.in);

System.out.print ("Hello please enter a 6-letter word: ")
    Word = keyboard.nextLine();

if (Word.length() > 6)
    {
    System.out.print ("Your word is too long "+ , +" please try again!")
    System.exit (0);
    }
    // end if

if (Word.length() < 6)
    {
    System.out.print ("Your word is too short "+ , +" please try again!")
    System.exit (0);
    }
    // end if

soo, having said all that, my question is if im on the right path, and if so how the hell do i write the rest of this program so that it works correctly.?

any help is appreciated

also, please keep in mind that this is a begenning java course, so any code thats too advanced will more than likely get me called out by the professor and result in a F. I'm mostly looking for something that a begennier would use and something thats simple

• DragonFire
    Addiction started
    • Dec 2004

Re: java programming help needed...

well for a bigginer u would just go for nested if conditions . . just for for example check the first letter for a certian condition , if it's true for then check the other until you finish the 6 letters and ofcourse you would break out of an if or you could use a flag as a value 1 or 0 to show if the the condition held true for all 6 letters or not or maybe after each if condition then check for the flag ..thats pretty long and going into circles and circles , but i guess that would be beginners shot ... O ya and you can also do an if condition to check how many letters the user has input or if you can know that by some return froma a java ready made function .. i am not sure .. if i sound so complicated ....well........ i think i can do this prog on c++ easily but i never used java before .. let me now how it goes
    Don't Immitate ... Innovate

Comment

• anonin
      Juvenile Delinquent
      • Oct 2005

thanks bro! ill keep ya posted!

Comment

• Hos
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004