Clear All
  • DavidJoseph
    Getting Somewhere
    • Oct 2004

KASKADE - Perceptions on Proton Radio 2.27.06

PERCEPTIONS

Hosted by Dres and David Josephs

Every Second and Fourth Monday of the Month starting at 3pm EST

Streaming the best in electronic music live and On Demand. Breaks, Minimal, Progressive, House, Techno, Electro, and more on 200+ exclusive shows.

As we continue in '06 we follow up a stellar mix by Slacker in which he took us all on a wonderful trip down the windy road he weaves as a dj - this time around we have the house powerhouse Kaskade hitting our airwaves. With many recent trips to NYC, we have all witnessed his highly crafted sound and brilliant programming that even makes the most sincere pure house music critic dance their ass off till the sun comes up. This will be a great treat for many as Kaskade will be playing NYC's newest house mecca SOL on March 3rd. Enjoy!

To start this show off this coming Monday, Feb. 27th we will be airing a segment of my Party-Pause-Reset mix alongside a new mix from Dres.

More about Kaskade:

Kaskade, better known as Ryan Raddon grew up in the Suburbs of Chicago, and was fascinated by the sound of new wave, frequenting Club Medusas where Frankie Knuckles held a Friday night residency. There, he was exposed to everything from Tears For Fears to The Cult, Ministry and The Smiths. As house music was incarnated in the basements and warehouses of Chicago, Ryan increased his awareness by attending parties and exploring these inspiring, innovative sonic genres. He listened religiously to local radio shows like The Hot Mix Five and Northwestern University's WNUR, which featured Derrick Carter and Mark Farina. He frequented Gramaphone and built his vinyl collection, eventually taking to the decks late in the decade.

Circa 1992, he transferred his life and learning to Salt Lake City and the University of Utah, an education he funded by DJing. He launched a weekly house night that endured five successful years and owned and operated (a local record shop,) Mechanized Records. Though there were others promoting house in Salt Lake, Ryan was one of the city's pioneers, igniting the spark that set the scene ablaze in the most unexpected of towns. It was here that he began building a studio, releasing several records on the Mechanized imprint and selling a breakthrough track to his favorite label, Om Records. "DJing inspired me to make music," he says. "It was definitely a simple evolution for me."

Having explored the Bay Area with his wife Naomi, Ryan was drawn to the strong scene that it fostered; they moved in May 2000. Within months, he landed a job as A&R assistant to Chris Smith at Om. "The label's reach is far and wide," he notes. "It was good energy to be around creative people who enjoy what they do." Continuing with DJing and production, Ryan formulated his alter ego Kaskade and began honing his studio skills. After selling a track to now defunct Chicago based Afterhours, he began anonymously slipping his tracks into the stacks of Om demos. "What I Say", the first single picked up by Om under his Kaskade moniker, was featured (as the first track) on Mark Grant's widely acclaimed "Sound Design Volume 2" in 2001.

The past two years have been a whirlwind of success; though Kaskade has appeared on many of Om's coveted compilations, nothing prepared him for the widespread praise that came in the wake of his debut album "It's You, It's Me." The former Lazy Dog duo Jay Hannan and Ben Watt sent their accolades after the then unreleased track blew the roof off their Sunday night London gathering. Marques Wyatt extended his appreciation as well, grabbing dibs on remixing duties for a future single. As of late, Kaskade has spent many nights commanding the decks on the international nightclubbing circuit. In addition, Roger Sanchez befriended Kaskade licensing two tracks for his newest mix "Release Yourself 2003", and if one needed more proof of his talent, Jay Hannan has chosen Kaskade to debut his new label, Society Heights, with the "Soundtrack to the Soul" standout "In this Life".

Whether it's the uplifting sounds, organic instrumentals, catchy vocals or the diversity of his sound, Kaskade's music embodies life, love and happiness. "I'm an optimistic guy," he says. "There's a lot of love in house music and this is just what comes out." He is equally as optimistic about the scene that has embraced him with such open arms. "Dance music is so fast moving and so forward thinking; it has morphed many times over. It will be interesting to see what the future holds." -Words by Carly Miller and Gunnar Hissam.

Next show: Tom Parris (The End Recordings, Matter-Form) & Ryan Crosson (Trapez)
    "Perceptions" on Proton Radio hosted by Dres and David Josephs every second Monday of the month: www.protonradio.com

David Josephs mixes: http://www.spectivedance.com/andres/...vid%20Josephs/
  • tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

Re: KASKADE - Perceptions on Proton Radio 2.27.06

nice, i like the few kaskade productions i've heard...never heard a DJ set though

Comment

• DavidJoseph
      Getting Somewhere
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
      nice, i like the few kaskade productions i've heard...never heard a DJ set though

this mix from Kaskade is absolutely sick...

if you like some proper house this is right up your alley.
      "Perceptions" on Proton Radio hosted by Dres and David Josephs every second Monday of the month: www.protonradio.com

Comment

• MetroSoul
        Getting Somewhere
        • Feb 2005

The best thing about Kaskade are all the chicks that flock to his sets. I swear, every kaskade gig I've seen has had 3 girls for every guy.
        Groove is in the air

Comment

• batica
          Getting warmed up
          • Oct 2005

kaskade just rocks! i have few sets they did at St. Francisco's DNA Lounge..it is off the hook! So i am going to check this one as well, thnx

Comment

• Ikenator
            Getting warmed up
            • Jul 2005

anyone happen to snag the stream or know if it'll replay again?

Comment

• DavidJoseph
              Getting Somewhere
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ikenator
              anyone happen to snag the stream or know if it'll replay again?

could always check out Proton On Demand: http://www.protonradio.com/ondemand_info.php

I'll try and get the mixes up for download later this week - thanks for tuning in

Comment

• rubyraks
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Any chance of getting that set up before he plays at SOL tomorrow night. Would love to hear what he's been up to lately before heading out there.
                "Work like you don't need the money.
                Love like you've never been hurt.
                Dance like nobody's watching.
                Sing like nobody's listening.
                Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

Working...