X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnbvcxz
    Platinum Poster
    • Feb 2006

Inexpensive setup

Can any recommend what to buy for a first time "dj". I'll be probably be going CD players instead of vinyl. What should I get as far as players and mixers go, and where should I get them from. I've seen heaps on ebay, but I'm suspect that they're not legit.
  • k-cee
    Fresh Peossy
    • Aug 2004

Re: Inexpensive setup

If you're going the cd route you can't go wrong with pioneer or denon cd players. Check the pioneer cdj 200 or the denon dns1000. There's heaps of mixers around for beginners. Just depending on your budget. Try and avoid those with lots of toys and gimmicks as it'll get in the way of u learning how to mix.

Try the i-dj magazine website. Lots of reviews and info there

Comment

• Jibgolly
      Vortexuralizor
      • Jun 2004

[opinion] go pioneer or go home. nothing will compare or stand the test of time like a pioneer will. look into getting a pioneer djm 300 mixer, thats really the best mixer for any dj to start with. if after that you're bored, trade it in and get a 600 or even an Allen & Heath. unless you have thousands of dollars to spend on cdj 1000's and a&h mixers, what i've said is just perfect for getting started [/opinion]

Comment

• mnbvcxz
        Platinum Poster
        • Feb 2006

I've used a djm 300 before, I did enjoy using it, i would like to get my hands on one of them. I'm now more concerned with the actual cd players though. I'm not too fussed about mp3 capabilities, so the cdj200 is probably going to cost me more than what I really require. U know, what about something like cdj100s? I mean, ideally within a reasonable price bracket cdj800s would be ok, but I'm not really after a hardcore setup... more so for practice.

Comment

• FM
          Wooooooo!
          • Jun 2004

what, roughly are you willing to spend/have?
          FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
          "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
          Facebook!
          A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• shan
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

i have dns1000's and a djm300. perfect setup for me for arsing around

Comment

• mnbvcxz
              Platinum Poster
              • Feb 2006

Well, firstly I don't really want to buy new equipment. Around $1000-$1200 Australian dollars. A friend of mine got ahold of 2xcdj100s and a djm300 with cables and case for around 900. So something like that would be suitable.

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

^^^a setup like that would probably suit you fine...albeit the 100's are hard to find sometimes, try the 200's if they aren't too much more..
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Jibgolly
                  Vortexuralizor
                  • Jun 2004

cdj 100's cost about $300 new.

last night on ebay i found some "buy now" options for cdj 200's for about $340

spend the couple extra dollars on the 200's cos even if you dont like the mp3 function, you WILL LOVE the loop and effects.

Comment

• hulkhuss
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
                    cdj 100's cost about $300 new.

last night on ebay i found some "buy now" options for cdj 200's for about $340

spend the couple extra dollars on the 200's cos even if you dont like the mp3 function, you WILL LOVE the loop and effects.
                    +1
                    http://www.mixcloud.com/RMasie/

http://soundcloud.com/r-masie

https://www.facebook.com/R-Masie-117851198318029/

Comment

Working...