X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dstar
    Fresh Peossy
    • Mar 2006

difficulty switching from turntables to cdjs

so, i havent been djing consistently over the last couple of years, due mostly to not having any free time to do so. recently i've decided to get back into it, and since everything has gone digital over the last couple of years, i sold my tables and picked up a pair of used cdjs.

i've found the transition to be a bit tougher than i imagined. mixing is nowhere near as easy, as i cant seem to pitch bend like i could on a pair of techs. i can do perfect mixes on turntables, but cdjs i am having to concentrate ALOT to get a smooth mix. its slowly getting a bit easier, but i'd still appreciate any insight onto how others have coped with the switch, and any good techniques for smooth mixing with cd decks
  • fumanchu182
    Angantyr The Ruthless
    • Jun 2004

Re: difficulty switching from turntables to cdjs

I am in the same boat as you, I love my cd decks though cause they have a pitch bend function. What decks are you using and maybe I cna help you find a feature that simulates the manual hand messing with the rec on the platter.
    The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• dstar
      Fresh Peossy
      • Mar 2006

i'm using cdj 1000s, and i wasnt talking about a pitch bend button, i mean ptich bending using the pitch slider...on techs its easy and very smooth. if the track you are mixing in is behind the track playing, you pitch it up alot to catch it up, then you lower the pitch back down to keep the beats matched. by far the best way of mixing. the problem is i cant seem to do it consistently on cdjs. the lack of resistance on the slider itself may be the problem.

Comment

• fumanchu182
        Angantyr The Ruthless
        • Jun 2004

Welcome to the world of cue button, it is your savior learn to love it.

This is how I blend using my cd decks.

Cue up a frame right before the drum hits in a 4/4 sequence. This is the most important part because the better you cue the better you can learn to beatmatch. So what you do is drop the track on a beat so you can beatmatch, see if it is faster/slower... etc.

Then if you see that it got too far off to fast bring it back to cue and match it up again and fine tune it depending it it is faster or slower.

Hope this has helped. Lemme know if you need anything else.
        The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• FM
          Wooooooo!
          • Jun 2004

yes the cue slider has less resistance...so it is a little trickier at times...

the other trick is to use the jog wheel to nudge..small amounts won't bend the pitch enough to hear the difference...
          FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
          "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
          Facebook!
          A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• superEGO72
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

if i am reading this correctly, you like to catch up or slow down using the pitch slider on vinyl. usually, people do this because it can sound smoother than manually increasing the speed with your finger on the record.

well.. unless you are using your cdj in vinyl mode and only touching the top of the platter, this problem is gone.

using it in cdj mode or using only the side of the platter essentially do what you are asking for. spinning it one way increases the pitch my some set ammount.... and the other way decreases it. the faster you spin it, the more the change... you need to adjust to using the platter instead of the slider.

then again.. after not djing for a while.. maybe you are just out of practice

Comment

• jeffrey collins
              Not cool enough
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by dstar
              the problem is i cant seem to do it consistently on cdjs. the lack of resistance on the slider itself may be the problem.
              That was a big problem with me too. I wish it would have some resistance. But using the platter helps to fix that...and the cue button does in a way too. But the cue only helps really after you've already got the damn thing in sync. You've still gotta get that pitch control right. I've noticed that to help with the resistance problem. I usually place my thumb on the bottom of the slider quite hard that way it adds the resistance that helps me get where I need to be.
              Jeffrey Collins: Painter
              My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
              My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                i use to be important
                • Jun 2004

I hate cdj's but that is what I mix with now. I feel like a traitor to my own kind. I also feel strange clicking on buttons and not touching a piece of vinyl. Though it is still fun, nothing beats the classic feel. You just gotta practice, took me months to adapt. There are some beautiful things you can do in the digital world that you could never do in the vinyl. So it has it's pros & cons. Stick with it, practice daily, and before you know it the rest is history.
                dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Kobe
                  I wish I had an interesting User title
                  • Jun 2004

all the cool kids are using Ableton Live
                  Beats are my crack.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                    Not cool enough
                    • Jun 2004

I'm ten times cooler than they are and I'm not using it...live...yet. I am using it for production. Very nice piece of gear.
                    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Lrn
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jan 2005

so im guessing no one really knows how to modify the pitch control on cdjs to get more resistence, i dont think anyone likes how easy it is to move.

Comment

• etincelles
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2005

Last edited by etincelles; March 24, 2010, 03:27:16 PM.

Comment

• FM
                          Wooooooo!
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Lrn
                          so im guessing no one really knows how to modify the pitch control on cdjs to get more resistence, i dont think anyone likes how easy it is to move.
                          well, the jog wheel is supposed to help alleviate that a bit for those who seriously ride the pitch...a quick spin nudges the track enough to catch up, but unless you crank it, won't alleviate the pitch to hear the bend.

You can also dependent on your model, pitch select it to 6%, so it only moves a small fraction vs. .1% at a time..that'll help things a little.

But beyond all that, it's just getting used to the particular model you have...
                          FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                          "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                          Facebook!
                          A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Lrn
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jan 2005

well im used to it but id rather have the pitch controller stiff like my 1200s

Comment

• arielus
                              He's back, in Pog form
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Lrn
                              well im used to it but id rather have the pitch controller stiff like my 1200s
                              have you tried Final Scratch?
                              a friend got one of those and he's quite happy with it.
                              he travels with his notebook, about 20 vinyls and he plays with the 1200 whenever he is.. the newest tracks, unreleased stuff, no problem.. he's got everything on his computer, and uses the FS interface with the 1200s
                              http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
                              http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
                              http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

Working...