X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

So I have to settle on a new ride...

Since I personally feel close to many of you on the forums (thanks to the brilliant "RETURN IT" advise that I got in my watch thread ) I thought I'd seek more advise from all those who cared enough to give me their opinions earlier.

As many of you know, I had made a post a few months back about snagging an Acura TL by the end of the year based on getting some of my funding sorted AND giving myself time to see what upgrades Honda was putting into the the 07's.

But my present car's condition has taken a dip for the worse and I just HAVE to get another car because long distance rides are slowly becoming more non-existent because I'm losing faith in her. Heck short distance ones are too.

So we went used car shopping yesterday and I ran into a phenomenal looking 2003 Midnight blue Nissan Maxima that has been seemingly pampered by its previous owner. The car is an SE (Sports Edition), has 23,000 virgin miles on her, and the engine just PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS.

Took it for a spin and she was BEGGING to be revved.

Scratchless, tinted windows, Spoiler, CD Bose Changer, Alloy Wheels, I mean other than tire treads being worn out, she could've gone for new.

The ONLY drawbacks were that the rear-seats were ridiculously uncomfortable. I mean this is the first time I sat in the rear seats of a Sedan that felt like trying to relax on a rocky cliff. It nearly hurt my brother-in-law sitting in the back to the extent he wanted me to end our test-drive quickly. It seems to me that they have never been used and the Padding / Foam is still extremely firm.

So my questions are 3 fold

1) Is there anyway / anything that can be remedied to fix the rear seats i.e. make them softer either by setting up padded seat covers or aything else ?

The following 2 are the most important questions

2) I got quoted $20,999 + Taxes, Registration etc. KBB tells me that $19,000 is where my negotiations with the dealer should begin. Oddly enough Edmunds is quoting the car at $18,000. Where should I start negotiating with the dealer ? Do you guys know any other sites I can get some rates ?

3) Where do used car APR's begin ? Dealer gave me some (unknown) bank rate at 11.20% and Nissan's rate of 9%. Anyone know anywhere else I can get a decent rate ?

Wow didn't realize its a long post but thanks for the heads up whoever cares to read through it and give one
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Re: So I have to settle on a new ride...

Originally posted by Kamal
    3) Where do used car APR's begin ? Dealer gave me some (unknown) bank rate at 11.20% and Nissan's rate of 9%. Anyone know anywhere else I can get a decent rate ?
    I was listening to Clark Howard the other day (Financial talk radio) who implored anyone that is going to buy a new car: "Never go into a dealership without a quote from an outside lender." He mentioned that a vast majority of the time, the dealer's APR quote will be much higher than what you can secure outside of the dealership. So, go to a credit union (since they're usually slightly lower) or your bank and speak to them FIRST!!

I wish I had known this a few years ago when I bought my car. Instead I got severely JACKED on my interest rate. It's paid off now (thank god) but this is definitely advice that I'll adhere to when the wife and I begin looking in a few months.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• Kinetic
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
      I was listening to Clark Howard the other day (Financial talk radio) who implored anyone that is going to buy a new car: "Never go into a dealership without a quote from an outside lender." He mentioned that a vast majority of the time, the dealer's APR quote will be much higher than what you can secure outside of the dealership. So, go to a credit union (since they're usually slightly lower) or your bank and speak to them FIRST!!

I wish I had known this a few years ago when I bought my car. Instead I got severely JACKED on my interest rate. It's paid off now (thank god) but this is definitely advice that I'll adhere to when the wife and I begin looking in a few months.
      Second this.

The economical reality here in Portugal is obviously very different from the States, but I work for a car fleet management company, and that?s how I try to negotiate with dealerships...either I have a quote from the outside or we advise our clients to approach the dealership telling them that he already has quotation done by us and according to our negotiated discounts.

Some dealerships sometimes get pissed, because they?re confronted with this : a client goes there, and they quote him...next up they come to us, sign the car order and we go buy the same car at that same dealer for a lower price...they scream something like "that was not the quote I gave this customer!", but they?re screwed because now it?s us buying it, and they have a yearly rate agreement with us.

Whatever, what I mean is shop arond and always start negotiating at the lowest rate you find...that way, the final rate will probably be found halfway.

BTW, what does APR mean?
      "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
      http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• hambino21
        PFC Semen Ham
        • Jul 2004

Thats funny. I actually purchased 2002 Midnight Blue Nissan Maxima SE Last year. And I happened to be in an Acura dealership at the time. wouldn't change it for anything.I think yours is the newer body style correct? I wouldn't think the seats would change much but I guess they do. The back seat in mine is relatively comfortable. I love the power it has also, plus the navigation system is perfect especially because I'm always located somewhere that I don't know anything about. The onlt downside I found out was how much tires cost on that thing. To replace mine with the ones that are on it now would run $250 a PIECE! I think IMy APR was 9.6 % and that was through the dealership. I wouild just pay it off a bit and refinance it through my own bank.
        " Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"

- Me-

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kinetic
          BTW, what does APR mean?
          APR = Annual Percentage Rate

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

Thanks for that Ska, eLoan is offering 6.65 on used cars, I need to check if I qualify with them

Originally posted by hambino21
            Thats funny. I actually purchased 2002 Midnight Blue Nissan Maxima SE Last year. And I happened to be in an Acura dealership at the time. wouldn't change it for anything.I think yours is the newer body style correct?.
            Mine is the 2000 - 2004 model style so I think we both have the same car.

How many miles did your car have and how much did you pay for it ?
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• hambino21
              PFC Semen Ham
              • Jul 2004

Mine had 45,000 miles. I got it for $17,900. To me that was alittle high but it was 800 less than kelly blue book. But so far I love that thing. It's such a smooth ride and it corners like a sports car.
              " Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"

- Me-

Comment

• geoffgulley
                Platinum Poster
                • Apr 2005

i got approved first before i got my audi through capital one... they do a thing called a "blank check". my interest rate was 7% (apr depends of course on your credit rating) and you request how much you want. they then send you a blank check with your name and info on it which you can write out for as much as the requested (approved) loan amount or less depending on the deal you get... gives you a gigantic advantage in negotiating the best deal. Also, avoid getting "soft hits" on your credit score. whether you know it or not many times when you give them your license to take a test drive they're checking your credit to see if you qualify even before you decide whether or not you want the car.. those little hits stay on your credit for 60 to 90 days... be specific and tell them you don't want them to run a credit check. just show them your license and proof of insurance. they don't need to make copies of them or run them for a test drive...
                "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• runningman
                  Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                  • Jun 2004

jap crap...

get a buick..

Comment

• skahound
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jun 2004

You're the most patriot American I know. And you're fucking Canadian!

Comment

• day_for_night
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

nooo! wait for the TL! you wont be disappointed!

Comment

• runningman
                        Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                        You're the most patriot American I know. And you're fucking Canadian!
                        TY..

Comment

• So dude like Totally man
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Jan 2006

[QUOTE=hambino21.I think yours is the newer body style correct? The onlt downside I found out was how much tires cost on that thing. To replace mine with the ones that are on it now would run $250 a PIECE![/QUOTE]

2002 & 2003 are the same body style...Look at getting some Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires they are around $95/per tire if rims are 17". These are supposed to be far superior to stock bridgestone potenzas in performance, treadlife (360 rating) and obviously cost. I have a 2000 Maxima as well...check out this forum...http://forums.maxima.org/ ....always a great help to me. Plus you can find out reliability issues other people have had.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                            Double hoodie beer monster
                            • Jun 2004

I got a 2.9% APR from Honda when I bought my new car. they had a college-graduate special. i'ma lucky SOB

Comment

• DancingQueen
                              AVB FanClub | President
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kamal
                              Since I personally feel close to many of you on the forums (thanks to the brilliant "RETURN IT" advise that I got in my watch thread ) I thought I'd seek more advise from all those who cared enough to give me their opinions earlier.
                              Awe GROUP HUG!! pluuuuuuuuuurrrr

Sorry I can't be of much help in selecting a car. I know when I bought a used car for my first car I took it for a test drive and took it to a mechanic that is a friend of the family.

Do you know anyone that you trust that you can take the car to to see if the repairs are do-able or cheap?
                              sigpic
                              RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                              RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...