X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Balanc3
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Police investigating suspicious activity in Chicago loop

I have never been to NY, nor do I have family living their, so WTC never really hit home. But it's amazing some of the security measures Chicago has already taken to protect the city, but have they done enough? I supposed you could never be 100% sure.

Just last May I flew home to visit my mother for mothers day. We flew into Chicago and hopped an Amtrak to the hometown. I was taking pictures of the underground rail station and almost had my camera confiscated. If the Sears tower or even JH was ever hit I would be mortified. Chicago is one of my favorite cities on erf.

March 16, 2006 - Chicago police are investigating cases of suspicious activity at two Loop buildings. One of them is the Sears Tower.
    Related Links

Since 9-11, the Sears Tower in particular has turned up on several lists of possible targets for terrorists. ABC7 news has reported sightings of suspicious looking individuals photographing the building numerous times in the past several years. Law enforcement officials have always publicly downplayed these incidents and they attempted to do that again Thursday.

Sears Tower employees Thursday reportedly received bulletins from building management reassuring them that there is no terror threat. But those bulletins failed to explain the incident ABC7 reported, that three suspicious looking men in a rental car pulled up to the building recently, got out and began studying the building. According to law enforcement sources, they took pictures before building security ran them off, but they never got their identification. Those sources tell ABC7 the car was rented to a fake name.
    The entire incident was captured on building security video, which was turned over to members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force.
    //

A Sears Tower spokesman said Thursday the men were not taking pictures. He issued a statement saying "investigators later reported back to Sears Tower security that they had no reason to believe the activity was criminal or cause for any further concern."

Law enforcement sources however have told ABC7 news the investigation is ongoing and they have been unable to identify the men from the video.

Sources also say a second suspicious incident at the Boeing corporate offices is also under investigation. This time a lone man, reportedly suspicious looking, was seen sketching the building. Security questioned him and took pictures of his sketch, though they never got his ID. A Boeing spokesman Thursday confirmed they reported it to authorities who have been conducting an investigation.

FBI spokesman Ross Rice says the Sears Tower incident actually happened several months ago. He contradicts the information from our sources. Ross said investigators were able to trace the car outside the Sears Tower to a real person who they determined was not a threat.
    But this incident is just the latest of a number of similar ones we have reported on over the last few years.
    JourneyDeep .into the sound
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Police investigating suspicious activity in Chicago loop

if you arrest them before they do something the left says we infringe on liberties and are breaking the law, if we let them go the right wing says we arent tough enough.

guess i fall into the right wing here. i say lock em up before ppl get hurt. some say they committed no crime. i respond ""yet""
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• KinKyJ
      Platinum Poser
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
      if you arrest them before they do something the left says we infringe on liberties and are breaking the law, if we let them go the right wing says we arent tough enough.

guess i fall into the right wing here. i say lock em up before ppl get hurt. some say they committed no crime. i respond ""yet""
      Yep, like you're doing in Gitmo for the past four years without filing any charges whatsoever

Comment

• thesightless
        • Jun 2004

good im glad you think this way. next time a building is bombed i sometimes hope it has someone that ppl who defend shit like this know in it.

too bad. i still say lock em up b4 ppl die.

and if ya knew, Gitmo is for foreign detainees from the afghan and iraqi wars, which are different from ppl within the states. i think whats happening there is fucked up and frankly i think a lot of those ppl should be let go. but dont compare someone who is fighting in their town in iraq against an invading force to a group of men planning to bomb a building in Chi town.

if we arrested them here they would likely end up in a federal prison or for security reasons an ARMY/ marines base's prison.

Comment

• KinKyJ
          Platinum Poser
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
          and if ya knew, Gitmo is for foreign detainees from the afghan and iraqi wars, which are different from ppl within the states. i think whats happening there is fucked up and frankly i think a lot of those ppl should be let go. but dont compare someone who is fighting in their town in iraq against an invading force to a group of men planning to bomb a building in Chi town.
          Is this the moment when I say Pwned?

So what you're saying is that you can turn a democracy into a police state because you knew someone in the WTC. Kinda dangerous thoughts, no?

Comment

• thesightless
            • Jun 2004

yeah, but it isnt a police state.

but if you see suspicious activity relating to a possible bombing you must take the suspect in and find out what is happenin. if you get nothing, then you observe them. not tapping random ppl, but if you see , in this day and age, a group of middle eastern men, preforming surveillance on say sears tower, you have to find out why.

Comment

• KinKyJ
              Platinum Poser
              • Jun 2004

^^^ now thàt's reasonable! Don't understand why they've let them drive off like that anyway...

Comment

• thesightless
                • Jun 2004

im just still wondering where the owned is, cuz gitmo prisoners and a bunch of camel fuckers in chicago are way different.

Comment

• KinKyJ
                  Platinum Poser
                  • Jun 2004

^^^ Are you color blind sightless? Hold on, replay:
                  someone who is fighting in their town in iraq against an invading force
                  Dig it?

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

Uh, is there any indication these folks were even mid-eastern? That seems to be what everyone's assuming, but the article doesn't indicate that to be the case -- just describes them as "suspicous looking."

Comment

Working...