Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Israeli Elections 2006

So the exit polls are in:

Kadima 29-32

Labour 20-22

Likud 11-14

Suprise of the elections Pensioners Party 6-8

THe Knesset, the government, has 120 seats. Proportional Representation.

Final result should be in by the morning.

One thing clear, this looks like the death of the Likud party

Will post final result and anylasis later when I've stopped dancing.

• KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Re: Israeli Elections 2006

... and we have a winner:

Kadima: 28
    Labour: 20
    Shas: 13
    Yisrael Beitenu: 12
    Likud: 11

Those coalition talks are going to be interesting me thinks...

Comment

• davetlv
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
      ... and we have a winner:
      Almost a winner KinKyJ.We have to wait for the final distribution of votes. . . .

Likely coalition involving Kadima, Labour, Pensioners, UTJ and hopefully Meretz.

Comment

• davetlv
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

The count has just been confirmed as follows:-

Kadima 29
        Labor 20
        Shas 12
        Likud 12
        Yisrael Beiteinu 11
        National Union-NRP 9
        Pensioners' Party 7
        United Torah Judaism 6
        Meretz 5
        Ra'am-Ta'al 3
        Hadash 3
        Balad 3

The most likely coalition scenario is Kadima, Labor, Pensioners and Meretz - this would give Olmert 61 seats. Additionally its being said that both Shas and Yisrael Beiteinu would be brought into the coalition, but as their seats are not necessary, the likelihood of them getting any main ministries is low.

Over the next few weeks we're going to play the game of 'who wants what' in the 17th Knesset.

One thing is clear, whoever joins the coalition, is going to have to pay attention to two main issues, firstly social policy and secondly, what we Israelis euphamesticaly call, diplomacy.

Let the games begin!!!!!

Comment

• KinKyJ
          Platinum Poser
          • Jun 2004

You know what I find ironic? Now that Likud finally got out of the picture and the road to dialogue is open, you've got a bunch of elected terrorists on the other side of the wall.

I'm very curious how Olmert is going to deal with things, but I have the impression that at least for Israel he's good news. (correct me if I'm wrong Dave)

Comment

• davetlv
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
            You know what I find ironic? Now that Likud finally got out of the picture and the road to dialogue is open, you've got a bunch of elected terrorists on the other side of the wall.

I'm very curious how Olmert is going to deal with things, but I have the impression that at least for Israel he's good news. (correct me if I'm wrong Dave)
            KinKy, I think its more of he was the best out of a bad lot.

Whilst I believe that Kadimas policy of needing to define borders during the next Knesset, as well as re-evaluating the countrys social policies, are right, I would rather this 'diplomatic' move, as its called here, is done in collaboration with the PA.

Where Olmert is different to all the others on the centre/left is that he is maintaining that if it can't be done bilaterally, then it will have to be done unilaterally.

Comment

• KinKyJ
              Platinum Poser
              • Jun 2004

Well, I think the region needs strong leadership from someone who's not preoccupied with an electoral agenda and therefore kissing the ass of extremist minorities. And saying that if it can't be done bilaterally, it will be done unilaterally is imo strong leadership... Although much is going to depend on Hamas...

Btw, speaking of which: Israelis tend to get on our case because our government often was sympathetical to the Palestinians, but during the past week the government gave a strong signal that they support the Palestinians and not the suicide bombers. The European Commission invited an elected representative of Hamas, but the Belgian authorities refused to give him a visum. What can I say? We like beer and fries, not terrorists and fanatics

Comment

• Commissar
                Fresh Peossy
                • Jan 2006

Well .. I'm Muslim and Egyptian, and I admit that this elections was one of the most Democratic elections I saw in my life .. alot of people here in Egypt (actually idiots) say "how Israel can be a democratic country with all it does with palestinians and muslims??" and for those I always tell them that there is a big difference between Democrasy which is the relation between the goverment and the nation or the people) and International Relationships or External policy which is the relation between any country or goverment with any other people

Comment

Working...