X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IllGrooverseven
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jun 2004

Question about ipods

So, I am entertaining the thought of purchasing an ipod... for a laundrylist of reasons... cd security, convenience of always having a way to listen to you mixes... but they are sooo expensive!

Anyhow, when you import your mixes from the computer and play back a tracked mix set, does it do the ever-so-slight jog (skip) between tracks like Win Amp does?

That drives me nuts

Thanks for the info
    Beer: The nectar of the gods
  • gr8pumpkin
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Question about ipods

If each individual track of the mix is a separate file then yes you will get the slight pause. I just got my first iPod (the new 40 gig) and am loving the hell out of it. I used iTunes to rip all of my electronic cds into one big mp3 file per cd and I'm all good. No pause in between tracks. Digweed Hong Kong is sounding wicked right about now on my Pod.
    "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Gr8 Pumpkin."

Comment

• IllGrooverseven
      Fresh Peossy
      • Jun 2004

ah! THat's so dissapointing. I am looking at the 40g myself. It seems like they could seamlessly play the files for $400+

So, am I going to have to re-rip all my CDs with itunes? Or will it combine the existing mp3s into one seamless file??

Comment

• neoee
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

You might want to consider the iRiver line of products. New firmware for the H-series (comparable to the iPod) due out later this month and one of the added features is:

4) Gaps between songs can be deleted
        (Gaps are deleted through scanning for silent periods at the end of the music file) - Gapless playback.
        "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• IllGrooverseven
          Fresh Peossy
          • Jun 2004

There are not gaps at the end of the files... they have sound until the very end. It's just the player closing one file and opening another that's the problem.

Originally posted by IllGrooverseven
          So, am I going to have to re-rip all my CDs with itunes? Or will it combine the existing mp3s into one seamless file??

Comment

• Hos
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

i doubt if the iRiver will be able to get rid of the gap. the gap is noticeable even when you play a split mix on Winamp. It's the nature of mp3. You will always notice the transition.

I think IllGrooverseven, you will have to re-rip
            black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• neoee
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Hos
              i doubt if the iRiver will be able to get rid of the gap. the gap is noticeable even when you play a split mix on Winamp. It's the nature of mp3. You will always notice the transition.
              They have already done it with some of their other products. They are just adding the feature to the H series since they already didn't have this.
              "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• hokka
                Fresh Peossy
                • Jun 2004

The gap you hear is part of the mp3 (or any compression format)'s header/info - so the actual file, not the problem of the iPod, if you find it annoying, you can select the tracks you want to join and goto Advanced/Join CD Tracks in iTunes.

iPod is for everyone, iRiver is for geeks (and their gapless playback is simulated - i.e. crossfaded)

I vote for iPod for it's top hardware and software intergration. It's really a no brainer considering 3 Million + have been sold.

Comment

• neoee
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hokka
                  iPod is for everyone, iRiver is for geeks (and their gapless playback is simulated - i.e. crossfaded)
                  Most people here are geeks (I mean that in a good way) and bang for the buck you better off with the iRiver stuff. New firmware every 4 months, ability to use OGG, WMA and future codecs. No software required (your computer sees it as another drive) or the ability to use their Music Manager software if you choose. Phillips Xtreme 3D (simular to SRS WOW). And for all the DJ's... the ability to line in record.

I'm sure the iPod is great for the 'no brain..er' crowd but for the more tech savvy crowd you'll find here I think they might be more interested in the alternative.

Originally posted by hokka
                  I vote for iPod for it's top hardware and software intergration. It's really a no brainer considering 3 Million + have been sold.
                  Number sold hardly means best product.

Comment

• Hos
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

i'm waiting for something with integrated DAB digital radio, unlimited stereo line in recording and oh let's say 60GB. i'm a bit bored with my iPod.

and with all that it has to look at least as good as the iPod.
                    black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• neur0t0xin64
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Jun 2004

you can adjust the amount of crossover the files have so that, with a slight amount of effort, you can have seamless playback of multiple files. If the mixes are tracked as with a cuesheet but they are 1 mp3 file you'll have no problems
                      "In case of doubt, attack." --- Gen. George Patton

Comment

• asdf_admin
                        i use to be important
                        • Jun 2004

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• chrisarm
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

does anyone else find that it takes quite a long time to record 1 cd to itunes, and then down to the ipod when using an xp machine. it is taking me about 15 min per album, has anyone got any ideas of how i can speed this up

Comment

• palmer
                            Retired or Simply Important
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chrisarm
                            does anyone else find that it takes quite a long time to record 1 cd to itunes, and then down to the ipod when using an xp machine. it is taking me about 15 min per album, has anyone got any ideas of how i can speed this up
                            upgrade that 486 of yours.

the ipod gap .... its like .00001 of a second.
                            todayistomorrow
                            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• chrisarm
                              Addiction started
                              • Jun 2004

i am using a toshiba tecra 9100, so the speed should not really be an issue

Comment

Working...