X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

DJ Earphones

So I'm in the market for DJ earphones (not regular earplugs that are to be used when going out clubbing, like the ety plugs).. I've already got a mild case of tinnitus that's been getting rather noticeable over the past year.

One of the ones I'm considering right now is:

Etymotic Research, Inc. is an engineering-driven research, development and manufacturing company.

I also heard that the Shure ones are very good:

And then there's the custom mold plugs:

Etymotic Research, Inc. is an engineering-driven research, development and manufacturing company.

Anyone with any feedback that's actually DJ'ed using any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
    Providing Aural Satisfaction
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Re: DJ Earplugs

I thought you were talking about some dj named Earplugs

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

^^ lol

I'm with you Phil.. no noticeable hearing loss yet, but I dont want to wait until there is.

Comment

• subdude
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

U mean earphones or earplugs?
        _________
        _subdude_
        _________

Comment

• phil
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Re: DJ Earphones

Earphones...

Comment

• asdf_admin
            i use to be important
            • Jun 2004

haha. i am all about the shures. those are hot, and when i stuck one in my ear, it sounded good coming out of my butt. no joke. those things are beautiful.
            dead, yet alive.

Comment

• filthy
              Addiction started
              • Nov 2004

Don't know about dj'ing with them but Shure's earphones are amazing!
              Come on, Scott, you're still young! Being a true loser takes years of ineptitude.

Comment

• skahound
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • Jun 2004

Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about DJ Earphones.
                A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• geoffgulley
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Apr 2005

get the etymotics..either model. d:fuse turned me on to them awhile back and i love them... if you still want to use headphones and still want to able to hear things when your 50 then I'd get these ---> http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...R/DJ1-PRO.html

they're pricey but blow away sony's and pioneers...
                  "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                    Not cool enough
                    • Jun 2004

i've been watching it's all gone pete tong this weekend and it's got me wanting to wear earplugs while i am dj'ing. i've already got a bit of the ringing myself...it's always with you.
                    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• phil
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by geoffgulley
                      get the etymotics..either model. d:fuse turned me on to them awhile back and i love them... if you still want to use headphones and still want to able to hear things when your 50 then I'd get these ---> http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...R/DJ1-PRO.html

they're pricey but blow away sony's and pioneers...
                      Yeah I saw D:Fuse in the Etymotic add in Remix Mag...

Do you know which one he uses? ER?4B , ER?4S or ER?4P

What's it like mixing in loud live enviornments with these? The main thing I hate is when I have to crank up the headphone volume in order to hear what's being cued up.

Comment

• sammwalk
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

probably best just to get a pair of custom molded musician's earplugs and then use whatever headphones. you still have to hear the house, so you can't just use earphones all the time. i can just imagine djs plugging away with earphones in, meanwhile the house is 10db too loud or too quiet! also, headphones look cooler.

as far as I know you can get earplugs that sound pretty close to open ear, just with reduced volume.

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

Check out the headphone and portable audio subforums at www.head-fi.org . There is a lot of discussion on in-canal earphones.

I'm using a Westone UM2 and it's quite bassy. So are (purportedly) the Ultimate Ears. I think ER-4 should be alright for DJ-ing as well, but I don't know about the rest--I get the impression most of these IEMs are made for classical/acoustic/jazz music and you might not get enough bass out of them for DJ-ing purpose.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• groffhibbitz
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jun 2004

can someone explain how you wear musicians earplugs to reduce the volume of everything and still hear your headphones? Wouldn't you just have to turn them up that much more? Or is that the point, that it relatively reduces the volume of the 'house?' I'm confused, but if it will help my hearing I am all for doing it. I just want to UNDERSTAND! Is that so hard to believe? God DAMN YOU PEOPLE!!

On another topic, a DJ named DJ Headphones would be so freakin sweet.

Comment

• pete86
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Apr 2006

i'd prefer to forget about the earPLUGS, esspecialy if it comes about mixing in the club (if i understood you right). sony v700, beyerdynamic djx and technics 2000 do their job perfectly. and what's more, i heard that plugs can seriously harm your hear if you dont take control (all the time while listening) of high volume. and as we all know, no one is taking control of it when the great track's coming ;-)
                              cheers,
                              pete

SoulSeek nickname: pete[actv]

Comment

Working...