Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fumanchu182
    Angantyr The Ruthless
    • Jun 2004

DJing Don't have a line in - only a mic.

Setup:
    Behringer VMX 300
    IBM R40 w/ SoundMax Digital Audio Card.

Problem:
    I don't have a line-in, even though it shows in the Windows Sound Recorder options I get no input when selected. This presents a problem because as TomTom has stated in his recording from decks to pc the mic line has horrible level control, this is true.

Does anyone know a way to somehow use the mic input as the line-in input thus gaining the stereo signal and not having to deal with horrible levels. I have browsed the SoundMax and IBM website as well as scoured google but have not come up with anything.

I would use an external sound card but I be broke...
    The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.
  • Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Oct 2005

Re: Don't have a line in - only a mic.

Hey man i am not too sure if i can give an answer to your question but i just bought a new external sound card a month or so ago and it was not that expensive and works great. It is a creative audiogy 2 nx soundcard and it won't break the bank. check it out. By the way it is 200 australian dollars so i am not sure how much it will be where u live.

The Sound Blaster product range has an audio upgrade solution – internal and external—for every setup. Don’t stop at stunning visuals. Redefine your audio experience with Sound Blaster.

Comment

• fumanchu182
      Angantyr The Ruthless
      • Jun 2004

I found a solution. I have an old home theater system, a Sony. It has balanced out from the main receiver, I piggied back the amp signal into that and now I have a nice -3/4 decible recording thanks to its volume control. Set also came out amazing, once I normalize it and make sure it sounds rich and full I will be posting it later.
      The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• dante_k
        Addiction started
        • Aug 2005

Couldn't you have just adjusted your master out of your mixer with your master volume. You know you don't have to use the record out just because it says "record"!

Comment

• FM
          Wooooooo!
          • Jun 2004

it's the nature of unbalanced/balanced signals...unless the sound card itself is already pre-amped, which many on a laptop aren't...and if he did through the master, where do the speakers go?
          FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
          "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
          Facebook!
          A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• fumanchu182
            Angantyr The Ruthless
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by dante_k
            Couldn't you have just adjusted your master out of your mixer with your master volume. You know you don't have to use the record out just because it says "record"!
            You actually hit the nail on the head. I had to do it that way in the end, the amp signal now goes to the speakers and the master out is what I record from. The home theater reciever actually killed the bass in the mix and now I have to do another one. What the fuck...

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
              • Jun 2004

Whichever way you look at it it's not gonna work recording it through the mic input.

I'd suggest getting another sound card or looking at those USB recording options. Apparently they're a pretty good quality and I think they're meant to be a higher quality recording than your sound card will give.

Also, try reading some more on your sound card. A lot of the cards these days can change what the jacks are used for from within windows. I'm not saying your card can do this, but on mine I'm pretty sure I can make any of the 6 jacks the line in.
              "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

Working...