X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vapidspace
    Fresh Peossy
    • Mar 2006

High School bans rebel flag clothing

In a letter sent to parents this week, Ithaca High School administrators have banned the display of Confederate flag insignias on any clothing, bags or other items students previously brought to school.

"We have found that the display of the flag in such forms has caused and continues to cause feelings of ill will," reads the letter, dated April 3 and signed by Principal Joseph Wilson. "Such feelings in turn have led to disruptions to our operations and educational process."

Starting Monday, students who refuse to remove or cover up images of the flag will be disciplined, probably for insubordination, according to Superintendent Judith Pastel.

Nationally, the racially-charged symbol has caused controversy as a relic of the Civil War -- and, by extension, slavery and segregation, some argue. Others contend that it is a symbol of Southern heritage or rural pride in general. Either way, many other American public schools have already considered or enacted their own bans.

At Ithaca High School, the "historical significance" of the symbol, which appeared most often on belt buckles or T-shirts, offended some students and led to verbal and physical altercations, Pastel said.

"Some of them are wearing them to aggravate other students," Pastel said. "Some are wearing them because they watched the Dukes of Hazzard at the cineplex."

Previously, because of fights on campus, the high school banned bandanas or other items of clothing that signify allegiance to certain gangs. Now, altercations are breaking out between students prohibited from wearing gang apparel and those showing up with Confederate symbols, Pastel said.

This sort of conflict isn't new to Ithaca High School, where students from widely divergent backgrounds -- based on class, race and other factors -- converge. This year, students and community members have talked publicly about tensions in the building.

Legal precedent leaves schools a narrow window for banning items of clothing: evidence of disruption must exist. In the absence of disruption, courts have ruled that schools have violated students' First Amendment rights for prohibiting certain items.

Pastel said the decision at the high school came only after extensive observation, conversations with students and careful consideration.

"It's at the point," she said, "where we need to shift the focus for kids back on learning."
  • Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: High School bans rebel flag clothing

Kids wanna do exactly what grown-ups hate...nothing new IMO. And they're getting exactly the reaction they wanted too, lol
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• anonin
      Juvenile Delinquent
      • Oct 2005

i agree with that decision, the rebel flag has no place anywhere but a museum imo.

Comment

• srbbnd
        Platinum Poster
        • Jul 2005

I don't agree with the flag, but not allowing it is just going to bring more attention to it.
        www.bestfilmsofthe20thcentury.com/

www.forwardthinkingproduction.com/

Comment

• fumanchu182
          Angantyr The Ruthless
          • Jun 2004

True, if the school ignored the issue, then it would just be a case of misfit teens crying out for attention... Oh wait, Columbine anyone?
          The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• neoee
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Isn't Ithica where they use their own currency?
            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• geoffgulley
              Platinum Poster
              • Apr 2005

the only place that flag belongs is in a civil war museum, not on a state flag, car or daisy dukes ass..... give it up. its been over one hundred and forty years now since the south lost. you still have bad grammar, country music, racism, monster trucks and wrestling... be happy with that and the fact that northerners give you billions of dollars to tan our white asses every year.
              "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

yea it's not like they harbor a grudge still or anything
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Kobe
                  I wish I had an interesting User title
                  • Jun 2004

I think it should be banned on the basis of tackiness
                  Beats are my crack.

Comment

• thesightless
                    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                    • Jun 2004

as bad as it is, you cannot complain about cencorship and then ask this be removed. personally i think we cant forget about it, so it does have a place in history, and if we are to embrace the freedom to dress and act like we want, then we cant complain. dont get me wrong, its racist in one major aspect, but it also holds ties to the region's history. we cant forget that.

also, its part of a culture. very much so. banning this is like banning X tee shirts or stopping ppl from dressing in the suits that the guys from nation of islam wear. either way the people are all stupid for doing it, but we gotta let em do it, or we are dictating what people should like and how they dress.
                    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Kobe
                      • Jun 2004

I say fuck 'em- if they didn't like our constitution, they better stick to those guns... you can't have you cake and eat it too
                      Beats are my crack.

Comment

• thesightless
                        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                        • Jun 2004

imagine the world if they won...........

i couldnt imagine owning a human being. let alone intentionally treating them like shit while help me do my work.....weird. but then again every war is like this. we could all be french if napolean won.
                        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Kobe
                          • Jun 2004

Beats are my crack.

Comment

Working...