The politics of football (soccer to you Yanks)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davetlv
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

The politics of football (soccer to you Yanks)

I always thought that politics and football didnt go together.

In fact Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA, said in december 05 after German politicians wanted Iran banned from this years World Cup Final

Originally posted by Sepp Blatter
    "We're not going to enter into any political declarations. We in football, if we entered into such discussions, then it would be against our statutes. We are not in politics."
    And he's right.

FIFA have proudly ignored the following:
    • Saddam Hussein's son Uday had Iraqi soccer players tortured in 1997 after they failed to qualify for the 1998 FIFA World Cup Finals in France, FIFA remained silent.
    • In 2000, following a quarterfinal defeat in the Asia Cup, three Iraqi players were whipped and beaten for three days by Uday's bodyguards. The torture took place at the Iraqi Olympic Committee headquarters
    • The Taliban using U.N.-funded soccer fields to slaughter and flog hundreds of innocent people who had supposedly violated sharia law in front of crowds of thousands chanting "God is great." (Afghan soccer coach Habib Ullahniazi said that as many as 30 people were executed in the middle of the field during the intermissions of a single soccer match at Kabul's Ghazi Stadium.)
    • In 1973, according to the International Red Cross, about 7,000 prisoners were detained (and some tortured) in Chile's national soccer stadium after Augusto Pinochet seized power.
    • Nor did the organization threaten Russia with sanctions after Chechen president Akhmad Kadyrov was murdered by a bomb explosion at Grozny's Dynamo stadium.
    • As for the Middle East, FIFA refused to criticize the decision to name a Palestinian soccer tournament after a suicide terrorist who murdered 31 people at a Passover celebration at the Park Hotel in Netanya in 2002.

So a great history of not mixing football and politics, but what on earth could make Blatter and FIFA change their mind.

Simple. Israeli bombing of an empty football stadium in Gaza. Why was this bombed - because its used regularly for the training of Islamic Jihad and Al-Aqsa Murders brigade, who since the Israeli disengagement from Gaza have fired on average 40 Qassam rockets from Gaza into Israel.

The Israeli attack took place when the stadium was empty and there were no injuries.

However last week, a Qassam rocket was fired from the Gaza stip, landed on the footbal pitch of Kibbutz Karmiya in southern Israel, causing light injuries to one person. Several other Israeli children and adults needed to be treated for shock. The attack was claimed by the Al-Quds brigades, an armed wing of Islamic Jihad. The soccer pitch is regularly used by children and it was only a matter of luck that there were not greater injuries.

FIFA condemed the Israeli attack and are meeting in the next few days to decide on further action.

So my award for hypocrits of the week go to the cunts at FIFA who believe that Islamic and Arab violence in soccer is acceptable but the bombing by Israel of an empty stadium used for terrist training is not.

Fuck them!

• Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: The politics of football (soccer to you Yanks)

lol

You know it´s Europe....
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• sono
      Gold Gabber
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by davetlv
      I always thought that politics and football didnt go together.

In fact Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA, said in december 05 after German politicians wanted Iran banned from this years World Cup Final

And he's right.

FIFA have proudly ignored the following:
      • Saddam Hussein's son Uday had Iraqi soccer players tortured in 1997 after they failed to qualify for the 1998 FIFA World Cup Finals in France, FIFA remained silent.
      • In 2000, following a quarterfinal defeat in the Asia Cup, three Iraqi players were whipped and beaten for three days by Uday's bodyguards. The torture took place at the Iraqi Olympic Committee headquarters
      • The Taliban using U.N.-funded soccer fields to slaughter and flog hundreds of innocent people who had supposedly violated sharia law in front of crowds of thousands chanting "God is great." (Afghan soccer coach Habib Ullahniazi said that as many as 30 people were executed in the middle of the field during the intermissions of a single soccer match at Kabul's Ghazi Stadium.)
      • In 1973, according to the International Red Cross, about 7,000 prisoners were detained (and some tortured) in Chile's national soccer stadium after Augusto Pinochet seized power.
      • Nor did the organization threaten Russia with sanctions after Chechen president Akhmad Kadyrov was murdered by a bomb explosion at Grozny's Dynamo stadium.
      • As for the Middle East, FIFA refused to criticize the decision to name a Palestinian soccer tournament after a suicide terrorist who murdered 31 people at a Passover celebration at the Park Hotel in Netanya in 2002.

So a great history of not mixing football and politics, but what on earth could make Blatter and FIFA change their mind.

Simple. Israeli bombing of an empty football stadium in Gaza. Why was this bombed - because its used regularly for the training of Islamic Jihad and Al-Aqsa Murders brigade, who since the Israeli disengagement from Gaza have fired on average 40 Qassam rockets from Gaza into Israel.

The Israeli attack took place when the stadium was empty and there were no injuries.

However last week, a Qassam rocket was fired from the Gaza stip, landed on the footbal pitch of Kibbutz Karmiya in southern Israel, causing light injuries to one person. Several other Israeli children and adults needed to be treated for shock. The attack was claimed by the Al-Quds brigades, an armed wing of Islamic Jihad. The soccer pitch is regularly used by children and it was only a matter of luck that there were not greater injuries.

FIFA condemed the Israeli attack and are meeting in the next few days to decide on further action.

So my award for hypocrits of the week go to the cunts at FIFA who believe that Islamic and Arab violence in soccer is acceptable but the bombing by Israel of an empty stadium used for terrist training is not.

Fuck them!
      To list Israel's war crimes would take up a record amount of pages on this forum and could possibly overload the server.

If you want to criticise regimes/countries/rulers than start with your own Israel. You're in no position to talk about other countries when you're so constantly clearly biased. You pick and choose the things you'd like to believe.

For those on this forum who don't know much about Israel: It is the only country in the world that is still occupying other countries ILLEGALLY and uses heavy weaponry to kill innocent people and demolish their homes in order to build illegal settlements for hardline jews.

So stop talking out of your arse. No country in the world is free from criticism even your beloved Israel.

Comment

• davetlv
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sono
        To list Israel's war crimes would take up a record amount of pages on this forum and could possibly overload the server.

If you want to criticise regimes/countries/rulers than start with your own Israel. You're in no position to talk about other countries when you're so constantly clearly biased. You pick and choose the things you'd like to believe.

For those on this forum who don't know much about Israel: It is the only country in the world that is still occupying other countries ILLEGALLY and uses heavy weaponry to kill innocent people and demolish their homes in order to build illegal settlements for hardline jews.

So stop talking out of your arse. No country in the world is free from criticism even your beloved Israel.
        Sono, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing my friend.

Israel is the only country that has been at war with its neighbors constently for the past 58 years, a war we have constently tried to end.

Israel is the only country on this planet that has to listen to other countries call for its destruction.

Israel is the only country on this planet that is not allowed full representation at internaitonal bodies.

Israel is the only country on this planet that get condemed whilst protecting its citizens from mass murderers.

You, sir or madam, clearly know fuck all.

COme back and discuss when you get an education.

Comment

• Yao
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

+1

And by the point: dave may be an Israelian, but he won't hesitate to lash out to his own govt when needed. Try to read some of his posts before making such idiotic remarks.
          Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• KinKyJ
            Platinum Poser
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
            +1

And by the point: dave may be an Israelian, but he won't hesitate to lash out to his own govt when needed. Try to read some of his posts before making such idiotic remarks.
            Gotta agree on that one: sometimes dave might get a little radical, but generally his posts are pretty balanced and well underbuilt with facts.

I'm happy he's is on this forum. I might not always agree with his opinions but I must say that I've gained a lot of insight by reading his posts.

I suggest you read them too sono, posting simplistic slogan makes you look like a complete ass to people who pick up a book or a newspaper once a while...

Comment

• davetlv
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
              sometimes dave might get a little radical
              Radical, me?

I'm not radical by a longshot. I believe that both Israelis and Palestinians have behaved terribly in recent years. We both need to be ashamed of ourselves and take responsibility for our actions.

But, what I don't believe, and will challenge every step of the way, is the hypocrasy of people who believe that the Israelis are always wrong and the Palestinians are always right.

Its absolute bollocks and not historically accurate.

Does that make me a radical?

Comment

• Xessex
                Getting warmed up
                • Apr 2006

Isn't the Fifa politics with own intrest anyways
                Be as intelligent as you are not!

Comment

• KinKyJ
                  Platinum Poser
                  • Jun 2004

Does that make me a radical?
                  No, ur right: ur a pussy

Comment

• davetlv
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

No, ur right: ur a pussy
                    Fine, so eat me

Comment

• KinKyJ
                      Platinum Poser
                      • Jun 2004

Fine, so eat me
                      Are you sure that's koosjer?

Comment

• elliotpa
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Oct 2005

How the hell do you get from middle east politics to pussy eating in one page. the internet is a magical place.

Comment

• shosh
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

^^^ statement of the year!

Comment

• thesightless
                            Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                            • Jun 2004

the main fucking problem is that over the course of history in the last 2000 years or so is that the palestinians moved in, forced all the christians and jews to other regions about 800 years or so after what we deem ""Jesus time"" ie- 0-200 AD. there were jews there before the muslims got there but islam promotes the detruction of non believers, so they hate the fact that 2 other major religions hold previous title to the land. (yes they do, bot judaic and christians were there well over 800 years before mohammed was born). add onto the fact that as a general society the judaic - christian people are far less violent than muslims, well that leads us to where we are today when an apostate can be murdered and no one cares, and a woman who said that ppl desecrated the cross in saudi arabia is now 2 months into a solitary prison sentance and is set to be beheaded. so you know what, mad props to islreal for fighting back and taking the agressive against a group that has mad a historical land grab while acting extremly violently against anyone who doesnt share thier views. FYI, in iran, you can now be sentenced to death if a muslim tries to convert you and you refuse......................

in other words.... go israel.
                            your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                            download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• sono
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Aug 2004

I must say that I've gained a lot of insight by reading his posts.
                              There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and YOUR stupidity, and I?m not sure about the former.

Comment

Working...