X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3d_1200
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

James Holden

i've never been really into holden, but i had heard many many good things about him live, so i was actually kind of intriegued to see him at the cocoon party in miami. he opened for sven vath in the main room. for those that know me, you know my musical tastes are pretty open minded and forward thinking, but the music that he played that night was just boring. nobody was into it, everyone was just standing around. the music seemed to be entirely to obscure and too abstract for a miami nightclub.

it was just slow with no real structure and didn't seem to go anywhere. i really went into this thinking i was going to be shown the "james holden light" so im honestly suprised with my negative reaction. his set just didnt have any drive and there was no energy when sven came on. if you've heard sven, you know he plays a bit hard. i'm a big fan of a lot of warm up music, but there was nothing warm about james' set. it just seemed quite odd and i dont know, i guess my expectations were too high.

so what is it about james that gets a lot of you guys off? i'm all for forward thinking music, but this just wasn't danceable. i've heard other sets where i felt the same thing, however i just assummed listening to it on pc speakers didn't give it justice (i.e minimal).
    http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24706
  • rubyraks
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: James Holden

nope, I feel the same way about holden. His sets just always lack that oomph and definitely lack any sort of direction.
    "Work like you don't need the money.
    Love like you've never been hurt.
    Dance like nobody's watching.
    Sing like nobody's listening.
    Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• Garrick
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

that and he can't mix. listen to the kiss 100 for proof, cool tracks tho. stick to producing, plz.
      Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• anonin
        Juvenile Delinquent
        • Oct 2005

yea, james holden can get VERY abstract at times and get lost in his own musical world, to be honest i dont even think he's even that great of a dj, he can mix sure, but his track selection leaves alot to be desired.

his strengths lie in his production work.

also, this may have something to do with it

Comment

• GregWhelan
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

^ bar his balance disc 1 I havent liked any of his dj sets to be honest. Too out there, too wacky, to obscure. He might do well to remember that most people go to a club to be entertained and to dance

Comment

• tiddles
            Encryption, Jr.
            • Jun 2004

at the controls is a good listen.
            the kiss mix was the loft set, right? i like that one alot...nice music on it.
            never seen him live, but i'd like to.

what he's doing now is sooooo much better than the silver planet/nothing/break in the clouds crap

Comment

• daveman
              I love the colors!!!
              • Jul 2005

hmm. surprising to hear that you didn't enjoy the live show. currently holden is the man imo. he is the one guy that i really excited to see live next. i can see why a lot of people don't like his style. he seems to really be pushing a choppy style of electro/tech around. i wouldn't consider myself an electro kinda person, but james does it with a style that i feel is unmatched by a lot of dj's. he finds new ways to pump out beats in time measures that don't fit the rigid four four you find in a lot of house music. i played the drums for years and hear that he has a ear for off beats and how to make them sync up. maybe thats why people have a hard time dancing to it? i've been listening to his live sets quite a bit lately and keep getting amazed at how he can switch up the tempo and time measures from track to track while keeping a uniform feel to the set. his kiss 100 transition set i thought was amazing. like a quick greatest hits of his longer live sets. although, its possibly he was too forced to get all those big tracks of his into an hour set and maybe it felt choppy to others?
              once upon a time, machines were mice, and men were lions. now that its the opposite, it's twice upon a time

Comment

• anonin
                Juvenile Delinquent
                • Oct 2005

i still listen to his sets to catch some of the killer tunes he occasionally drops.

have you heard that nintendo synthy track in the loft set? fucking insane!!!

Comment

• Lrn
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jan 2005

Comment

• anonin
                    Juvenile Delinquent
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by daveman
                    he seems to really be pushing a choppy style of electro/tech around.
                    i dont know about this check out the tune text xxx by 5 green circle on traum schallplatten, now that is proper choppy tech!

Comment

• daveman
                      I love the colors!!!
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by anonin
                      i dont know about this check out the tune text xxx by 5 green circle on traum schallplatten, now that is proper choppy tech!
                      its not that i'm looking, or even into that kinda style. its just that with everyone not liking the direction edm is taking i am glad that an effect wizard like holden can put out some incredible remixes in the kinda style that people actually enjoy.
                      once upon a time, machines were mice, and men were lions. now that its the opposite, it's twice upon a time

Comment

• AntonyM
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Oct 2004

Lots of textures and moods
                        great music
                        Originally posted by Shpira
                        So came back last night...
                        Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                        Originally posted by Illuminate
                        Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                        2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                        3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                        4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Digger
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Nov 2004

only pot?.....i thought he were into heroine or something....dont blaime me to think that....hes looks and his music looks alike
                          https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
                          All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• anonin
                            Juvenile Delinquent
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Digger
                            only pot?.....i thought he were into heroine or something....dont blaime me to think that....hes looks and his music looks alike

LOL!

Comment

• wonk
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Oct 2004

im into the majority of his stuff, melodic stuff always grabs me. yes some of it isnt very dancey but electronic music is more than just dancing your sox off. at the controls is in my stereo constantly at the minute. everyone has their own opinion of course

Comment

Working...