X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robprunzit
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Diggers not a progressive Dj ?!?

The below interview states Digweed doesn't spin progressive sounds, and isn't happy about everyone thinking he is a proggy Dj.

So whats up with this interview. Someone (maybe Leha) translate key points. I always considered most of his sets to be proggy sounds, with many sets in the techhouse, house, and breaks genres.

But this interview is confusing.

http://www.spaceboss.net/clanek.php?id=1464

Poslechněte si set od Johna Digweeda
    17.04.2006 13:56:05 - autor: spaceboss :: přečteno: 1906xtisk :: poslat

Hodl?te prorazit jako DJov? a mysl?te, ?e v?m k tomu bude stačit kufř?k napěchovan? kvalitn?mi deskami + nadřen? technika mixingu? Tak to jste poř?dně vedle. Ze sv?ho ostrovn?ho Bedrock imp?ria v?m to vzkazuje odborn?k na slovo vzat?, DJsk? veter?n a sem tam producent John Digweed.
    "Mů?ete m?t talent, brilantně mixovat, hr?t skvěl? desky, ale to v?echno je m?lo, pokud v?m chyb? v??eň pro hudbu. Pokud ji nemilujete cel?m sv?m srdcem, neu??v?te si naplno ka?dou sekundu sv?ho setu, nikdy z v?s nebude vynikaj?c? DJ," rad? DJsk?m greenhornům Digweed, kter? svou kari?ru klubov?ho jockeye odstartoval před 16 lety v Hastingsu. "Lidi se na p?rty s v?mi budou pravidelně vracet jedině tehdy, pokud uvid?, ?e zbo?ňujete to, co děl?te a podař? se v?m je nakazit sv?m entuziasmem.."
    Neuhas?naj?c? v??eň po hudbu hodl? Digweed podle v?eho zakonzervovat i do svoj? nejnověj?? mix kompilace "Transitions". O t? se u? teď v?, ?e půjde ven v průběhu června 2006 prostřednictv?m britsk? Renaissance a va?e zvukovody se bude sna?it zah?čkovat tracky od Paula Kalkbrennera, Michaela de Heye, Tigerskin, Margot meets The Melody Maker, Partial Arts a nebude chybět ani jedna ?hav? novinka od samotn?ho Digyho. Kdo ale ček? i nějak? ten n??up svě??ch progressive kousků, ček? marně.
    "Spousta clubberů, včetně hudebn?ch novin?řů, mě z nějak?ho důvodu neust?le svazuje s hudebn?m stylem progressive, kter? v současn? době ale hraji v?cem?ně jen občas," postě?oval si Digweed u? loni v jednom interview. "Kdysi se pojmem progressive označovala jak?koliv elektronick? hudba, kter? předběhla svou dobu, dnes je to ale vlastně samostatn? ??nr, s n?m? toho skutečně nem?m př?li? společn?ho."
    AT THE FORK, TAKE THE RIGHT DIRECTION

www.myspace.com/robroyfamily
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

Re: Diggers not a progressive Dj ?!?

he did not play progressive at pawnshop or space.
    thats all i can say.

Comment

• AntonyM
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Oct 2004

To me progressive means continually evolving
      as dance music evolves so will Digweed
      via all the producers and artists who give him first look
      at the all the dope tracks
      Originally posted by Shpira
      So came back last night...
      Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
      Originally posted by Illuminate
      Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
      2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
      3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
      4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Dhar_2
        meat and potatoes
        • Jun 2004

i dont speak russian!!!

so i'm pretty fucked!!!

Comment

• Digger
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Nov 2004

who cares he put good music, twisted and some dark tunes.....
          https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
          All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• Hannibal
            Getting Somewhere
            • Apr 2006

What language is that anyway?!?
            But I can understand he doesn't like to be called a progressive dj... his style is pretty diverse.
            Smoke weed every day...

Comment

• 3d_1200
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

digweeds never associated himself with 'dated' music. why would he start now?
              http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24706

Comment

• rewing3
                I really don't care
                • Jun 2004

^ Agree, Even when porg was popular he nver considered himself a prog dj. That is what everyone else called him. Diggers plays what he wants to play at any certain time.
                Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• chuckc
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
                  thats all i can say.
                  hmmm. progressive sort of covers a broad range doesnt it

Comment

• geoffgulley
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Hannibal
                    What language is that anyway?!?
                    It's czech..........
                    "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• lilsensa
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
                      thats all i can say.
                      did he play..................ELECTRO?
                      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• peloquin
                        Till I Come!
                        • Jun 2004

i only listen to trance

Comment

• DJJEFFJONES
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Nov 2005

AVB imo
                          http://www.idgafclothing.com

Comment

• Lrn
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jan 2005

i still think calling a genre of music "progressive" is so fucking concided

Comment

• robprunzit
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chuckc
                              hmmm. progressive sort of covers a broad range doesnt it

Well, I think progressive is still very popular. We base so much of our community on it. Its a genre, a style of sound. Breaks, techno, house, techhouse, trance, minimal, and others are all genres of style.

'lilsensa' said Electro. That covers alot, almost all the genres together. But progressive is a sound moving forward by definition, but it's more than that really. Its the smoothness of mellow blended funky beat and rhythm. Actually, all the genres are moving forward in their own way, so the definition of 'progressive' does not apply really, to the music. The definition applys in a different way to the maker of the set, and the name is only a type or style of sound.

What is breaks, minimal, or others by definition. Its a term without linguistic definition, we simply know what it means by our learned like or dislike for the sound, not the definition. So Progressive music is a sound, just like the others.

For me, I have heard Digweed playing many different sounds, not just one. But why is he stating so strongly in this interview his dislike for someone to classify him as 'progressive'. Does he dislike progressive. I don't think so, I think he doesn't want to be held in a room with other Djs who only spin one or two sounds. He spins many sounds on different shows or sets. They are never the same, that is what makes him truly 'progressive' by definition.

So really Digweed is Progressive, by definition only, though he spins many genres. He is ahead of everyone else ... moving forward before the other guys ... setting the stage for others to follow. That is progressive by definition.

Just my thought!

Yes the language is Czech from the Czech Republic most likely. Maybe Leha, or some Slovakian guys could translate some of it for us. I know the Slovak's have a different language, but some understand Cz pretty well. So do many Polish guys, maybe Jula can help some.
                              AT THE FORK, TAKE THE RIGHT DIRECTION

www.myspace.com/robroyfamily

Comment

Working...