X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Department of Irony

Seconds after President Bush suggested to Chinese President Hu Jintao that China would be more successful if it allowed its people to "speak freely," Wenyi Wang was arrested and hauled away from the White House lawn for picking that moment to engage in some free speech of her own by shouting out in protest of China's alleged persecution of Falun Gong, a banned religious movement in China.

I don't know enough about Chinese politics to have an opinion of what this gal was protesting, but there is certainly something highly ironic about being hauled away for protesting something on the heels of a call for free speech...

• KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Re: Department of Irony

Originally posted by toasty
    I don't know enough about Chinese politics to have an opinion of what this gal was protesting, but there is certainly something highly ironic about being hauled away for protesting something on the heels of a call for free speech...

Or in a nutshell:

Falun Gong is actually nothing more than a pretty harmless religious group. The followers are in general even old people.

The reason why the Chinese authorities crack down so hard on Falun Gong is because it's a mixture of budhist and taoist elements. Taoism has always made Chinese officials nervous because for them it's equal to rebellion and political instability. The core thought of Taoism is that if you let everything happen spontaniously, the pieces of the puzzle will eventually fall in the right place. In other words: a government is not needed.

Budhism isn't very popular with the government either. During the course of history there have already been a number of Budha's (messiases if you like) and the rise of another Budha could become a threat to the Chinese state.

Priceless story btw! First ushering the Light of Democracy like a true prophet and then getting owned by a 47-yr-old Chinese woman, that has gotta hurt, hahahahahaha!!! Yet another classic Bushism

"Faaaa... Luuuuuun... euh... Dong"

Comment

• geoffgulley
      Platinum Poster
      • Apr 2005

nothing that happens with this nitwit or the group of nitwits that surround him shocks me anymore..... i'm numb. that is a highly ironic story though.
      "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• KinKyJ
        Platinum Poser
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by geoffgulley
        nothing that happens with this nitwit or the group of nitwits that surround him shocks me anymore..... i'm numb. that is a highly ironic story though.
        It is actually cooler than the West Wing, yeah

Comment

• tsesan
          Getting Somewhere
          • Mar 2006

They also screwed up the announcement of the Chinese national anthem. They announce "the national anthem of the Republic of China" instead of the People's Republic of China. The Republic of China is also known as Taiwan.

Comment

Working...