Students drive 15 miles on 0,35 ounces of Hydrogen!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonin
    Juvenile Delinquent
    • Oct 2005

Students drive 15 miles on 0,35 ounces of Hydrogen!!!

Students from the Danish college of technology (DTU) have develeped a new and innovative fuelsystem which eleminates the loss of hydrogen in a fuel cell.

By eleminating the loss of hydrogen in the fuel cells, the Danish students have made hydrogen power "cost efficient" and have layed a major piece in the hydrogen engine puzzle.

The new fuel system was developed while working on the new hydrogen car "DTU Dynamo". Last year the car set a new world record by driving 15 miles on 0,35 ounces of hydrogen. This equals to the 450 miles per gallon of gas.
    This new invention has already been patented, and a new development is said to be underway.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

• picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Students drive 15 miles on 0,35 ounces of Hydrogen!!!

hell yeah.

Comment

• FM
      Wooooooo!
      • Jun 2004

take years sadly before it's readily available...adn you won't see it in THIS country anytime soon
      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
      Facebook!
      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• geoffgulley
        Platinum Poster
        • Apr 2005

^^ ahh yes, the never ending deep pockets of major oil companies will never let this work until they want it to and can make money off of it.
        "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• KinKyJ
          Platinum Poser
          • Jun 2004

For us metricalists that's 24,1 km on 9,9 gram of hydrogen.

Well, it is a another step into the right direction, but the road to cars running on hydrogen coming into mass production is still very long.

First of all there's this general misunderstanding one day we'll have cars running on water. Free energy for everyone in other words. Wrong. Hydrogen is indeed a component of water, but you still need to produce the gas and distribute it like normal fuel. Production + distribution = costs. Bye bye free energy.

Misunderstanding 2: water is an obvious source of hydrogen, but up until today the main source of hydrogen is the hydrocarbon molecules in fossil fuel. Water can split into hydrogen and oxygen when electricity passes through it but this proces isn't yet economical. Extra inconvenient detail: where do you get the electricity from? Right...

Alternative methods of hydrogen production are being researched, but none of them is at a final stage. More info here.

The good news however is that although the oil lobby might want to slow down the process of hydrogen becomming a new general power source by buying patents for example, car manifacturers like BMW and Honda are already in an advanced stage of designing a car that runs on hydrogen. More info on the BMW hydrogen powered car here.

I sure hope that the research on this clean energy speeds up a bit now that governments finally seem to be willing to fund hydrogen research projects. It's common knowledge that within 50 years or so we'll run out of fossil fuel. That doesn't mean however that we still have until then to come up with a solution. According to James Hansen, one of the top researchers on global warming, we'll have as little as 10 years left to do something about greenhouse gasses. After that we'll reach a tipping point after which global warming will become an unstopable process... Full article here.

The clock is ticking...

Comment

• runningman
            Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
            • Jun 2004

nothing better then sitting on a hydrogen bomb..

sounds good though the price of gas is ridiculous..

Comment

• day_for_night
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

thsoe kids are gonna make crapload of money off this patent (if their school doesnt screw them over on royalties)

Comment

• MJDub
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by runningman

Gas isn't exactly a non-flammable substance either.
                http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• anthony
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

exxon/mobile will by the rights to the patent and it will sit on the shelf until we are all long dead! mark my words!

Comment

• palmer
                    Retired or Simply Important
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by day_for_night
                    thsoe kids are gonna make crapload of money off this patent (if their school doesnt screw them over on royalties)

I will bet the bank the school owns it. I know I signed an agreement with my school stating that anything produced while enrolled belonged to the school.

This is dope though. A definite step in the right direction. It's a shame we probably won't see it operational for another 20years.
                    todayistomorrow
                    art direction | design | animation

Comment

• KinKyJ
                      Platinum Poser
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by runningman

What MJDub said... That's the same thing people have been worrying about when LPG tanks got introduced. Pressure vessels for gas are usually designed to withstand a test pressure which is 1,5 times the maximum working pressure and to survive external impact to a certain level.

I guess that for hydrogen tanks in cars even more safety messures will be taken since it's more explosive than LPG.

Comment

Working...