• Show
Clear All
  • nasserd
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

VERIZON DSL ARE REALLY EVIL PEOPLE

Hey guys...

DO YOU USE VERIZON DSL (or did you)?!

I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO ACCESS THIS WEBSITE FROM HOME, AND I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WENT BELLY-UP SINCE AUGUST 2ND, BUT NOW I AM VIEWING THIS FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE (WASH D.C.) AND IT IS SHOWING UP NO PROBLEM.

IT APPEARS THAT VERIZON DSL MAY HAVE CUT YOU GUYS OFF FROM THE PHILADELPHIA AREAS, AND THEY MIGHT DO IT NATION-WIDE!!!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?! AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO???

-e- ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS FACT?! I WAS REALLY DISAPPOINTED, JUST TO FIND OUT THAT MAYBE VERIZON DSL IS BEHIND MY LIMITED [MS] EXPERIENCE THIS PAST WEEK!!!

Please share your thoughts, and my apologies for the all-caps post.
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

umm no. i also have verizon. they can not control your content. this site works fine.
    dead, yet alive.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Re:: VERIZON DSL ARE REALLY EVIL PEOPLE

That BLOWS. I have Earthlink DSL... I hate it, because it is sssllllloooooooooowwwww. I have no other chioce in my area though.

Comment

• nasserd
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

I've concluded it is Verizon DSL, because I use different computers with different OSes, and none can access the site.

Yet, i am in DC for the weekend, and using Cox Cable, and i can (obviously) connect.

VERY ODD

Comment

• tiddles
          Encryption, Jr.
          • Jun 2004

uh oh.
          i'm on verizon.

if i disapear, you know what happened.

maybe they got sheppie too:wink:

Comment

• tiddles
            Encryption, Jr.
            • Jun 2004

Re: VERIZON DSL ARE REALLY EVIL PEOPLE

Originally posted by nasserd

IT APPEARS THAT VERIZON DSL MAY HAVE CUT YOU GUYS OFF FROM THE PHILADELPHIA AREAS, AND THEY MIGHT DO IT NATION-WIDE!!!
            have you asked them about this?

Comment

• nasserd
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

Re: VERIZON DSL ARE REALLY EVIL PEOPLE

Originally posted by tiddles
              have you asked them about this?
              Nope. I just discovered that [ms] hasn't been down like 1 hr ago! I'll certainly contact them when I'm home next... unfortunately, I'm in DC until Sunday, and i have to work in NYC until Thursday... so I won't have a chance to verify that all systems are go (should they change something) until next thursday.

Work sucks. I hope nothing's wrong... and if it's not them, then I think I just might cry. :cry:

Comment

• Steve Graham
                DJ Jelly
                • Jun 2004

I'm on verizon dsl, never had a problem. dont see how a dsl provider can cut you off of a web site. doesnt seem possible.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                  i use to be important
                  • Jun 2004

exactly. it is not. unless you are with microsoft ... dun dun da.
                  dead, yet alive.

Comment

• peloquin
                    Till I Come!
                    • Jun 2004

i have comcast cable internet at home. i dont really have any problems with it, unless my roommate goes on slsk, that seems to make the connection go down.... but it goes back up when i unplug the modem for a minute, then plug it back in :? what was this topic about again :P

Comment

• superEGO72
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Jun 2004

got comcast here.. havent had any issues

Comment

• neoee
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

My GF had Verizon for a while. They had ping and traceroute disabled. They also were using PPPoE for a while then finally dropped that.

nasserd- you need to call and complain big time, hopefully they'll resolve the issue for you.
                        "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• tiddles
                          Encryption, Jr.
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neoee
                          My GF had Verizon for a while. They had ping and traceroute disabled. They also were using PPPoE for a while then finally dropped that.
                          what does that mean?
                          i think mine uses PPPoE...thats for connecting, right?

Comment

• esef
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Re:: VERIZON DSL ARE REALLY EVIL PEOPLE

Comcast Cable sux major wang too! but that's what we're stuck w/ when they are give monopoly power!

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category

Comment

• neoee
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

tiddles- PPPoE is PPP over ethernet. It just makes thing annoying for the end user. It forces you to log in to be able to access the network unlike cable or standard DSL (which is actually PPPoA - over ATM) where its always on the network. With PPPoE everytime you log in you also get a different IP address where as with the others you hold your address unless you go off the network for 3 days. You also need their client software which with the others you don't.

If you haven't noticed the slight annoyances don't worry about it. If it does bother you I suggest using a linksys router as your PPPoE client (to keep you logged in). But I think Verizon is going away from this since its more troublesome to support.

I suspect you know what ping and traceroute are for but in case you don't, their basic but important troubleshooting tools. Ping just verifies you can reach a device and traceroute traces the path across a network to the device.
                              "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...