• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SyntaxTerror
    • Jun 2004

Re: Important FYI - ARTISTS on myspace

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    ya but it also says it can alter, copy, reproduce, transmit and distribute
    Alter = re-encode (or maybe censor some of your work, if you put up something highly illeagal or a recording which in fact isn't yours, or is considered slanderous, MySpace could be seen as lible.

Copy = move it around on their servers as they see fit.

Reproduce = Again, can simply mean re-encoding.

Transmit and distribute = well, that's kinda the purpose of MySpace in the first place!

Like I said, I definately can't see a single sinister thing in their disclaimer, I'm sorry you guys do.
    "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• DancingQueen
      AVB FanClub | President
      • Oct 2005

It is good if there isn't anything sinister about it, but I think it is something people should be aware of....that is all
      sigpic
      RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
      RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rubyraks
        very interesting clause there and just because it doesn't say sell among those rights doesn't exclude them from selling it according to the clause. Legally, I'd say there's a pretty small chance in hell that a clause like that would ever hold up in court. They've made themselves the internet version of a public venue. Would make for a hell of an interesting case if an artist were to sue them though.

ACTUALLY.

we have done a lot work with royalty audits for a few labels here in NYC<
        they can, without recourse, use anyone's song, music, idea, photo, painting as they deem fit. they also have plenty of gall to sell the liscence rights to EVERY song on myspace. ill pull the book on it later tonight if i remember. i wrote a HUGE article on this about 2 years ago for my almamater's entertainment law professor. you will be really surprised.

frankly as a professional, i would tell anyone looking to keep thier works, to stay away from myspace music pages.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• speciale
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by thesightless
          ACTUALLY.

they can, without recourse, use anyone's song, music, idea, photo, painting as they deem fit. they also have plenty of gall to sell the liscence rights to EVERY song on myspace. ill pull the book on it later tonight if i remember. i wrote a HUGE article on this about 2 years ago for my almamater's entertainment law professor. you will be really surprised.

frankly as a professional, i would tell anyone looking to keep thier works, to stay away from myspace music pages.
          its weird to hear your name and the word professional in the same sentence since some of your posts are so disturbing

Glad someone looked it up. It would suck to work hard at something and then have someone legally take it from you. IMO, get your own web-site and host your stuff there. they are not hard to put together.
          Originally posted by Miroslav
          It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
          No Soup for You

Comment

• thesightless
            • Jun 2004

yeah, scary innit? to be honest, i take work pretty seriously. lotsa shit i have to keep track of.

Comment

• rubyraks
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

ACTUALLY.

I didn't say they didn't have the rights to in the clause...in fact I say they do. All's I was saying is that if they were to use anyone's music in this way, courts are apt to find clauses, or the extremes to which they may used, in contracts "unconscionable" and hence unenforceable. That's my argument.

Originally posted by SyntaxTerror
              I think you guys are kinda missing the point.

The way I read it is that by uploading your material you are allowing MySpace display, store, distribute through your own MySpace page, your own material.

You guys are reading it as if MySpace are big evil guys who are gonna steal your music, but what they're saying is by uploading you let us store your music and display it to the world, so you don't turn around and sue them for hosting your music.

It's protecting MySpace from any evil minds who would want to try and sue on a technicality.
              ummmm, you do realize that myspace is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp? Need I say more?
              "Work like you don't need the money.
              Love like you've never been hurt.
              Dance like nobody's watching.
              Sing like nobody's listening.
              Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• thesightless
                • Jun 2004

simply put, if any of our producer ppl put up a track on myspace, and it appeared on the OC, they would essentially be fucked until a court decided the clauses were unenforcable.

Comment

• Localizer
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jul 2004

i'm sure minors could get away with the lawsuit...
                  Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                  -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• rubyraks
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

simply put, if any of our producer ppl put up a track on myspace, and it appeared on the OC, they would essentially be fucked until a court decided the clauses were unenforcable.
                    agreed
                    "Work like you don't need the money.
                    Love like you've never been hurt.
                    Dance like nobody's watching.
                    Sing like nobody's listening.
                    Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

yeah they were bought a couple months ago and stil we can't get better connections to the damn site. They really need to take 20K and buy some more bandwidth for that place.
                      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...