Clear All
  • shosh
    Banned
    • Jun 2004

Mexico set to decriminalize pot and cocaine

Mexico set to decriminalize pot and cocaine
    Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:00 PM ET

By Noel Randewich

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Possessing marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.

The measure given final passage by senators late on Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.

"This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said on Friday. The measure was approved earlier by the lower house.

Under the legislation, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of cocaine.

People caught with larger quantities of drugs will be treated as narcotics dealers and face increased jail terms under the plan.

The legal changes will also decriminalize the possession of limited quantities of other drugs, including LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines and peyote -- a psychotropic cactus found in Mexico's northern deserts.

Hundreds of people, including several police officers, have been killed in the past year as drug cartels battle authorities and compete with each other for control of lucrative cocaine, marijuana and heroin smuggling routes from Mexico into the United States.

The violence has raged mostly in northern Mexico but in recent months has spread south to cities like vacation resort Acapulco.

Under current law, it is up to local judges and police to decide on a case-by-case basis whether people should be prosecuted for possessing small quantities of drugs, a source at the Senate's health commission told Reuters.

"The object of this law is to not put consumers in jail, but rather those who sell and poison," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno of the ruling National Action Party.

Fifty-three senators voted for the bill with 26 votes against it.

Hector Michel Camarena, an opposition senator from the Institutional Revolutionary Party, warned that although well intentioned, the law may go too far.

"There are serious questions we have to carefully analyze so that through our spirit of fighting drug dealing, we don't end up legalizing," he said. "We have to get rid of the concept of the (drug) consumer."
  • nicomax
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Mexico set to decriminalize pot and cocaine

This is how it works in my country (Colombia). Is the right approach, although it's still a bit contradictory that you can have your personal dosis but there's no legal way to get it.
    Nicomax

Comment

• Lrn
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jan 2005

500mill grams of jeeks, bull shit that how much paris hilton uses for her gummers

Comment

• FM
        Wooooooo!
        • Jun 2004

this is the right approach...the idea of stopping all drug users totally is absurd and can't be done. This law would free up resources (cops, money, judges) on the lower end of the scale to go attack the top/higher-end distributors who give out the stuff to begin with.

I wish a law like this would go into the US; maybe then it could help their so-called "war on drugs" actually look like something's being done...
        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
        Facebook!
        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• miketpoto
          Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
          • Jan 2005

I'm not a fighter. I'm a user.

Comment

• Garrick
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

^ lmfao
            Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• MusicJatt
              Platinum Poster
              • Aug 2004

this is a victory for Personal Freedom ... you should be allowed to do whatever u want even if it is stupid as long as u dont hurt anyone else ...
              making obscene amounts of money from drugs is wrong
              enjoying them once in a while is awesome
              however i dont think coc. and her. belong in this category, highly addictive substances that make u willing to commit unthinkable actions ...

Comment

• subdude
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

playing devil's advocate here...
                but doesn't this have potential to actually increase demand by virtue of decriminalising it? Which would make it that much more lucrative to supply it. IMO can't fight one side without the other...(so both side may as well be legal )
                _________
                _subdude_
                _________

Comment

• day_for_night
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by subdude
                  playing devil's advocate here...
                  but doesn't this have potential to actually increase demand by virtue of decriminalising it? Which would make it that much more lucrative to supply it. IMO can't fight one side without the other...(so both side may as well be legal )
                  very few drug users care about legality, and very very few people dont try drugs because they are illegal. demand for drugs actually drops when they are legalized, as there is no longer the taboo-factor that draws many users to them in the first place.

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by day_for_night
                    demand for drugs actually drops when they are legalized,
                    I dont think that will happen in the case of a few drugs. esp Heroin. You do it once and you are hooked for good. Some of the stronger Hallucinogens with addictive properties will get their draw of people, irrespective of Legality
                    Last edited by Kamal; May 1, 2006, 08:56:25 AM.
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                    Originally posted by ace_dl
                    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• picklemonkey
                      Double hoodie beer monster
                      • Jun 2004

I can understand the bud or opium, and maybe even the coke, but heroin!?

maybe it'll keep less people from coming here taco bell style

Comment

• thesightless
                        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                        • Jun 2004

im in agreement with the pot, but the others..... bad things can happen for dumb kids a lot easier now.
                        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                          I dont think that will happen in the case of a few drugs. esp Heroin. You do it once and you are hooked for good. Some of the stronger Hallucinogens with addictive properties will get their draw of people, irrespective of Legality
                          this might be true....but the reason a LOT of people do it int he first place is because they 'cant'...its been proven as d4n said.

Originally posted by nicomax
                          This is how it works in my country (Colombia). Is the right approach, although it's still a bit contradictory that you can have your personal dosis but there's no legal way to get it.
                          i agree...i dont get that part either.
                          "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

• MJ
                            Here since 2002
                            • Jun 2004

Mullered in Mexico has a nice ring to it.

How much is a flight over there?
                            mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• picklemonkey
                              Double hoodie beer monster
                              • Jun 2004

Cancun!

Comment

Working...