X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gjg21
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

Calderone or Wink & Glaude?

which would you go to? i've never seen any of these guys live and don't particularly have a preference, but it's gotta be one or the other. i know their music well enough, but haven't heard much from them in years.
    Victor Calderone
    31.58%
    Josh Wink/ Donald Glaude
    68.42%
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Calderone or Wink & Glaude?

wink and glaude, easily

Comment

• anonin
      Juvenile Delinquent
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by peloquin
      wink and glaude, easily
      fa sho

Comment

• miketpoto
        Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
        • Jan 2005

Victor Calderone is the Gay NYC tribal DJ. He isnt gay, but all his fans are... and he's really good at making the same noises all night long and playing the same tracks he played 6 years ago regularly...

Comment

• gjg21
          Gold Gabber
          • Jul 2004

yeah, i know calderone's crowd, and while i'm not too fond of being dripped on by sweaty shirtless guys, i've heard good reviews on occasion. i dug what he was playing (and apparently still is) about 6 years ago, but can't say i get into it much these days. used to be a big dt/tribal fan.

wink it is.

Comment

• Jibgolly
            Vortexuralizor
            • Jun 2004

MercuryAdvice.com imo

Comment

• nbpgt
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

jw & dg

Comment

• picklemonkey
                Double hoodie beer monster
                • Jun 2004

Calderone imo. i've seen wink and glaude live and wasn't impressed with either... plus victor's shit is darker

Comment

• shosh
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2004

wink + glaude!
                  read this imo:
                  A powerful draw at this time was dance music and the "DJ as God" phenomenon. This mystique drew straight men like 32-year-old Victor Calderone, who is now a preeminent DJ in gay club life. What brought him from butch Bensonhurst to the ultimate '80s gay club, the Saint, was the music and the men who mixed it. "I was looking up to these DJs and they were gay," Calderone remembers. "That's where the whole thing shifted for me."
                  Calderone went on to create what he calls "a totally gay lifestyle": an apartment on Christopher Street, summers on Fire Island, "wearing labels," and working out. But Calderone got more from his immersion in gay life than fame and friends. He also found a wife.
                  The women he met at gay clubs were far different from the ancient stereotype of the "fag hag." They were bombshells—that's what their gay male friends were looking for in a female companion. (Who do you think created the supermodel?) Like many post-straight men, these women often came from working-class backgrounds. They were drawn to gay life in part because it offered access to upward mobility. At the same time, they were looking for men who didn't fit the stereotype of the working-class guy—especially when it came to r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

For men like Calderone, the biggest fear is being regarded as they saw gay men in earlier days. Calderone recalls being afraid the first time he had his eyebrows waxed seven years ago (though he points out that all the goombahs get their brows done now), and Cilione admits to similar fears. He says he went into the Fifth Avenue salon business for the money and the chance to work around women. He was irritated by the "stereotypical queens," but femmey attributes rubbed off nonetheless—a fact he realized recently while sitting on a couch at a very heterosexual house party in a ski resort. "I was holding my beer and cigarette in what I would say is just refined—legs crossed, but in a gentlemanly way. Then I realized that everybody else was sitting there with their legs spread open and half a hand down their pants, kind of an Al Bundy thing, and I looked like a big fag."
                  But what qualifies as "faggy" has changed. Spook the new Sound Factory. On any given Sunday morning, hundreds of bare-chested and pumped-up straight men with plucked eyebrows and shaved chests move about in tight black pants that maximize the shape of their butts. Many men dance together, some in tight group embraces, while others wave their hands in the air (a definite violation of the rule that straight men must dance with their hands down). "Eight years ago, you would never see two straight kids with their shirts off dancing together, singing like a bunch of girls," says Sound Factory DJ Jonathan Peters. "And you should see underwear night."

Comment

• skahound
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jun 2004

Where's 'None of the above'?
                    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• unkownartist
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

personally i would goto the one with wink...he's seriously hot just now ( in a non homosexual way before all you closet homo's start )

Comment

• rubyraks
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

I'd say to keep looking for another club, but if you have to choose between the two I'd go for calderone.
                        "Work like you don't need the money.
                        Love like you've never been hurt.
                        Dance like nobody's watching.
                        Sing like nobody's listening.
                        Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• gjg21
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jul 2004

^ yeah, not too excited about any of them which is why i asked. just found out hector romero's playing somewhere else, so i'll probably do that.

Comment

• rubyraks
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Jun 2004

now your talking my language...hector, awesome dj and an awesome guy. Always a fun time
                            "Work like you don't need the money.
                            Love like you've never been hurt.
                            Dance like nobody's watching.
                            Sing like nobody's listening.
                            Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

Working...