• Jun 2004

Re: Tiesto sticks it to Toronto

ruby trance lover...

Comment

• rubyraks
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

I figured that would be the reaction I would get, but if you actually read what I said, I never said I loved trance, nor even like it. I did say my wife enjoys some of it (as well as plenty of house/prog/trip hop/etc.) and yeah there are a few tracks every now and then I'll enjoy.

A lawyer by trade, I do like to defend people so merely for argument's sake I posed some questions with a little bit of history. If you're not man enough to admit you used to listen to trance or that some of your favorite djs have played trance tracks in their sets (ie. Deep Dish were dropping PVD's The Other Side for quite a good deal of last year), well what could I say, but they did and do.

So let me ask: Who here wasn't a fan of Sasha back in 98-99 when he was playing trance? Who thinks he doesn't have trance elements still and that's one of the things people secretly love about him. Everybody loves his melodic tracks...call it by a different name and feel better about yourselves. Whatever helps you feel better about yourselves.

Now who here's willing to actually address something I actually said, rather than just name-calling?

Please discuss.
            "Work like you don't need the money.
            Love like you've never been hurt.
            Dance like nobody's watching.
            Sing like nobody's listening.
            Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• unkownartist
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by rubyraks
              So let me ask: Who here wasn't a fan of Sasha back in 98-99 when he was playing trance? Who thinks he doesn't have trance elements still and that's one of the things people secretly love about him. Everybody loves his melodic tracks...call it by a different name and feel better about yourselves
              actually thats a very good point, in those days sasha would hammer songs by LSG ( oliver lieb ) and guys like PVD and i dont know about all of you but i,m still a big fan of the melodic side of basically everything but i,m not getting/fealing this in the current state of trance, for me its moved on from its routes and is going on a whole new "euphoric" route, as a guy who was brought up with the hardest of rave values for a long time this kind of upsets me but i realise that this is actually good for the scene as things always branch off from something new and goes into something else, so i can understand it, i think the main problem here is that the people that slate it or slag it are getting old and have also been brought up with the old values accociated with the house scene, i hold my hands up and say i,m deffinately one of those people, i was just one of those guys where the "selling out" factor was a big no no, things have changed, the music used to be about nothing but passion but the big players are now older and to be fair to them its there only way of earning a good income so maybe a bit of the passion has left the scene due to people trying to live a comfortable life doing what they do, you can look @ the dance scene from many different angles now. For me the only guy in trance @ the moment who gets close to feeding my passion for the trance scene has to be Christopher Lawrence, listening to his sets remind me of how underground it used to be....nowadays it doesnt matter where u look in the dance scene you will find elements of all types of all types in all types ( wouldnt like to say that drunk lol )...i just like to hear the stuff i liek to hear now, its as simple as that......in all honesty i dont like what i,ve become as i got aolder because i have turned into a complete music snob

Comment

• palmer
                Retired or Simply Important
                • Jun 2004

I own Summerbreeze..... still.
                todayistomorrow
                art direction | design | animation

Comment

• unkownartist
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

to be honest palmer i have a few sets from tiesto in my collection but i never listen to them, hopefully one day i,ll by chance hit the play button and appreciate it as is with alot of the music i collect

Comment

• runningman
                    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                    • Jun 2004

i'm just fuckin with ya.. I don't care if you like trance..

Comment

• geoffgulley
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Apr 2005

Well if it wasn't for "trance" i wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now... as one of the "elder" statesmen (if not the eldest) on this board it was Sasha, Oakey, PVD, etc playing tunes like Energy 52's "Cafe' Del Mar", Binary Finary, Cygnus X, PVD's "Pumpin" back in the early to mid-nineties that got me rolling (literally) on the whole electronic bandwagon. I went from being the typical local "club" DJ to not ever wanting to spin "mainstream" radio dance music ever again. Now I never was a fan of the 138bpm plus "eurphoric" trance which sounded as if you were trapped on a circus merry-go-round but tunes like Kamaya Painters "Far From Over" and BT's "Embracing The Sunshine" were and still are favorite tunes of mine.... Crap, I still love PVD's "For An Angel" and Tilt's "Invisible" because it takes me back to a time when it really was about the music and not everyone and their sisters boyfriends cousins friend was a DJ. basically days that I know I'll never relive.
                      "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• simonr
                        Transitionator
                        • Jun 2004

This smacks of sheer greed - my understanding is that Tiesto currently charges outrageous appearance fees (even in Eastern Europe), so its no wonder he's jetisoned his Cream (Ibiza) residency - even the super clubs can't afford to pay him ! However, I thought his Amnesia essential mix from last year was excellent (real summer music - opening with a corker from Kosmos Epsilon), its just a shame he's shafting his fans, which is pretty bad for EDM as a whole regardless of your progressive loyalties.
                        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• unkownartist
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by simonr
                          This smacks of sheer greed - my understanding is that Tiesto currently charges outrageous appearance fees (even in Eastern Europe), so its no wonder he's jetisoned his Cream (Ibiza) residency - even the super clubs can't afford to pay him ! However, I thought his Amnesia essential mix from last year was excellent (real summer music - opening with a corker from Kosmos Epsilon), its just a shame he's shafting his fans, which is pretty bad for EDM as a whole regardless of your progressive loyalties.
                          u live in england so i,m guessing you know what its like to buy tickets for raves/festivals in the summer, atleast there u get a good choice and really for what u get its not as bad as going to see him and paying more than u would for a decent rave/festival

Comment

Working...