X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unkownartist
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

has anyone road tested these ?

i,m thinking about getting a pair of these because i,ve seen them @ ?350 cheaper than the rrp.....i,d like to hear your views on them if u have tried them
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: has anyone road tested these ?

I can't see spending that much on headphones.

Comment

• unkownartist
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

to be honest @ full price neither can i, but i recently read a reveiw of them and they said that speakers that produce the same quality of sound as them would set u back @ the very least 4 grand. i,m always getting hassled for playing my speakers to loud so i was thinking of investing in a decent set of quality headphones and these are supposed to be the best for around this price range ( believe me i,ve seen ones @ a much higher price than this ) and i was also recomended sennhiesers hd 650's. i currently have hd 25's the 600 ohm studio ones but although they can handle high pressure sound they lack a true depth.

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

then better get Shure in-ears....
        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• unkownartist
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Yao
          then better get Shure in-ears....
          yes i thought about those aswell but there not really suitable for everyday use and because the sound is deliberately injected into the ear they can be VERY damaging to the ear

Comment

• geoffgulley
            Platinum Poster
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by red1
            yes i thought about those aswell but there not really suitable for everyday use and because the sound is deliberately injected into the ear they can be VERY damaging to the ear
            ^^.......uh, here:

Etymotic Research, Inc. is an engineering-driven research, development and manufacturing company.

ear damage has nothing to do with whether it's in your ear or over it mate.....
            "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• unkownartist
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by geoffgulley
              ear damage has nothing to do with whether it's in your ear or over it mate.....
              honestly there is more damage to the ear if the sound is all directed actually into the ear.....i was given a paper on this @ uni, maybe there has been some development on this problem since i was there but 5 years ago they were giving out knoledge on this.

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

those look fucking ugly...
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• innocentbystander
                  Getting warmed up
                  • Jun 2004

Well, these headphones really aren't about looks. It's function over forum. And yes I have a pair of these along with a pair of Sennheiser HD600s. I purchased the Grados used for ~$500 US. If you're an audiophile/you're serious about your music you won't regret it.

Comment

• unkownartist
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by FM
                    those look fucking ugly...
                    man there made out of wood.

Comment

• unkownartist
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by innocentbystander
                      Well, these headphones really aren't about looks. It's function over forum. And yes I have a pair of these along with a pair of Sennheiser HD600s. I purchased the Grados used for ~$500 US. If you're an audiophile/you're serious about your music you won't regret it.
                      so if it was up to you and you were making a choice..would you go for the 650's or the rs1's ?

Comment

• innocentbystander
                        Getting warmed up
                        • Jun 2004

I haven't heard the 650's so I can't say about that. All I can give you is a comparison btw the 600 and RS-1s. Basically it will come down to what kind of music you want to listen to with the headphones. 95% of the time I use my RS-1s. They have really tight punchy bass that's great for uptempo music - I use them to listen to house and rock. I also use the flat earpads vs the bowl shaped ones. I hated those. The very first time I listened to my RS-1s was with the bowls, it made me sick to my stomach. The 600s really shine when you're listening to silky, smooth female vocals - nothing can match it. The Senns also has a really wide soundspace - and trust me if you ever do an A to B of the RS-1's to the 600s, you will notice the soundspace difference immediately.

Another thing to consider is the price of course. Last I checked, the RS-1 were still more exepensive than either the 650 or 600.

There's also issue of amplification. I have a dedicated headphone amp, a Singlepower PPX3-6cg7. It's the old model with the p2p wiring. I think I dropped another ~$550 US to purchase a used model. But it was a great buy - I use it all the time and it goes well with either of my RS-1s or 600s.

Comment

• unkownartist
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

yea the rs1's need to be driven properly but i was also looking @ the dedicated grado headphone amp the RA1 as i can get a package deal thats not going to break the bank but will hit the pocket a little but i will benifit me in the long run and again there are other headphone amp options and to be honest i dont like the fact that the RA1 is made from a solid lump of wood, looks good on the headphones but not on the amp, i quite like the look of the valve amps like your singlepower 1 but again its just a case of finding what one is the best for driving low resistance phones, theres alot of options out there, i was looking @ the 650's which as basically the 600's only improved by designing new drivers for them, the grado mid range is legendary which is pulling me towards getting these...i listen to a range of music so i dont think that the sound i listen to comes into it really as i,m just looking @ buying a good investment into my music life if that makes any sense... i think its worth it but i,m wanting to make the right choice, to be honest i think its going to be the rs's anyway with the 650's being sold for less than ?200 i guess i could pick them up later if i dont like what i hear.

hey thanks for helping me its appreciated

Comment

• remoh
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

they are ugly..they look like the earpieces worn on an aircraft carrier
                            [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
                            |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

• unkownartist
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by remoh
                              they are ugly..they look like the earpieces worn on an aircraft carrier
                              for me its about the sound, its not as if they are going to be worn outside.

Comment

Working...